99 civic ex msd help needed!! ASAP

allblack325i

Ok so I have a 99 civic ex. Problem I'm having is this, About a week ago I was driving it and as I was pulling into my driveway it just shut off... Like I had NO power. Well once I get parked I tried starting it but all it would do was crank and crank... Popped the hood and low and behold, my Mds cap was cracked big time down the side. I go and order a new one from autozone and throw it in the car thinking I'll be able to drive my car again in no time, but that's NOT the case!!

Now it has a msd cap with external coil, Now I'm getting spark and the car kinda acts like it wants to start every so often but it doesnt. Any ideas????

I know it's getting fuel cause I can smell it. And I am in fact getting spark. Could my coil have anything to do with it???

I have a guy planning on coming in tomorrow to trade me cars. But I obviously can't trade a car that's for whatever reason not running now. PLEASE SOMEONE HELP ME!!

Guest Removed

well, let it set with the plugs out, cause if you can smell fuel, its flooded.

pull the plugs out, and go grab some new ones..just cause your getting spark to the plug wires, the plugs may not be firing..

or are you checking spark at the coil?

i have seen the rotors burn up etc..so make sure your getting spark to the plugs. and not just from the coil..

and just why did the cap crack?

I have absolutely no idea why the cap cracked.... but I called and talked to a guy at Jeg's and he said they do that when there's a lot of moisture in the air... I wasn't too sure about that one. Then I was told that if it was tightened down too much it would cause it to crack too??

All I know though is I pulled 3 of the plugs and they were BLACK :o So needless to say I'm gonna change all 4.. but the 4th plug over will NOT budge at all!......wtf!!!!

Guest Removed

everything for it to make spark is in the dizzy..crank, cam, coil , module,etc....its all in the dizzy..

as far as plugs go, well either its overly tight, or it has been cross threaded.

so then can i just get a stock dizzy and use that rather then having to deal with all the msd bullshit???

and how can i tell if any or all the parts in my dizzy is bad? can you direct me toward a diagram of one showing all the parts??

lastly about the plug... what do you suggest I do about getting it out then?....

And for what it's worth thanks a lot man! I really apriciate the help!!

Guest Removed

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y196/gearhead559/86109816.gif

diagrams

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y196/gearhead559/83266952.gifhttp://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y196/gearhead559/83266953.gif

basic overlay of components

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y196/gearhead559/86161870.gif

digging for trouble shooting info..brb

ok gotcha! so I'm guessing the hot one will be the + one right? and if it's not doing what you said it should then chances are it's my ignitor?

if it is the ignitor can that be replaced? or do I have to look for a whole other dizzy?

Yes you can just buy the ignitor, most of the time replacing the whole dizzy isn't neccesary.

ok crazy question... would it matter if the cap seal was ripped?.... I didnt even notice in the packaging it came with a whole new one and the one on the dizzy is missing a 2" section!!:o

Would still think it would run, but I can't really picture that.

see that's what I was thinking too..... This car has me tore down right now..... I'm tired as hell, and I have been at it since a little after 2 yesterday afternoon (techinically it's sunday now)..... It's a vendetta!!!!

I just wish I knew what it was and I deffinitly wish I could get that plug to come out... that has me really worried! I wont get rid of this car with it having problems like that...... I wouldnt really want that same shit happening to me thats for sure!

ok here's another update....

Compression on all 4 cylinders is good.

Ecu is good (took it out and checked it)

double and triple checked wires coming from the dizzy to the coil. (Have yet to get a voltmeter to check the signals off the coil however. Should have that done in a hour or so)

Was able to remove the 4th plug, it was just a bit more snug then the rest after a few good back and forth methods it came right out with no other problems.

http://autorepair.about.com/library/firing_orders/bl-fo-3967.htm

so is the 1 on the dizzy the one on top, or is it the one closest to the firewall?

One thing I did notice is the car seems to crank a bit faster now... but still no clue as to what that's about.

Edited by allblack325i