Ford question

Sam1647545489

Ok, you have a 89 mustang gt with a 5.0L motor in it and it has a t5 5 speed trans. You wanna switch to an auto. You order a C4 with the small block bell housing. It is a newer C4 with the dipstick that goes into the case, not the pan. You get everything mounted up and find out that the starter is no where near catching to start the motor. What would you think is the problem.

wrong starter

depending on what year the bell was made for I show one listing to 5.0 5spd mustang and the a totaly different part number for an earlier car like a mustang II that has a c4 with a 302

if you get a me a little more info on the trans and flexplate combo I can get you a part number

wrong starter

depending on what year the bell was made for I show one listing to 5.0 5spd mustang and the a totaly different part number for an earlier car like a mustang II that has a c4 with a 302

if you get a me a little more info on the trans and flexplate combo I can get you a part number

It was a flat SFI flexplate at first which was way wrong for the converter so went to jegs and got another one with a little notch on it that brought the flexplate out alil and its better now for the bolting to converter without shims. Starter is still no even close. Went with the different starter option and gonna see tomorrow if that fixes the problem. Just trying to get different opinions.

Guest Removed

wrong starter....or flex plate..

there are 2 just like a sbc... different tooth count etc...

with the right flywheel, your starter should work just fine.

2 starters for ford vans..one starter has a 9 tooth, the other is 10.

but i'd put money on the flywheel being wrong. i have done t-5 to c-4 swaps before, and used the same starter

Guest Removed

i think you need to run a 164...but you have to have the right bell...

cause some bells wont let you fit a 164, and you have to run the 157, which will mess you up on the starter..

which bell housing you running?

Guest Removed
Waiting to hear back from RPM to see what bell they sent me. I told them I got a 89 5.0L that it is mounting up to and figured that would be enough to get me the right parts from the start but didnt realize there was so many different options out there.

well there are several different bell housing's for them. and with what your doing, you should use a JW.

but it almost sounds like you have a pan fill bell, on a case fill trans. but i have no idea what you do have soo....:confused:

gl.

edit: i didnt know they did ford transmissions.

my trans guys builds all of ricarts c-4's for his car's