Brakes are important....

Dr. Apex

I learned a bit of a lesson today when it comes to brakes. I had replaced the front pads with carbotechs from IPS, changed to ATE Super Blue brake fluid, new rotors up front and new stock pads in the back for this weekend.

Well after only 3 sessions today my back pads had disentegrated and dug quite deep into my rotors. I knew the pads wouldn't last but I had hoped they would last the weekend being only the back pads. I'll get a pic of what's left of my rotors tomorrow but they were completely thrashed. So about $100 extra later the car is back together, only thing that sucks is I couldn't get a hold of any decent pads for the rear so I bought 2 sets of stockers and will replace each after 2 sessions to make it through the day.

Anyone ever planning on doing a serious track day should plan on replacing/upgrading all the pads and rotors etc....Needless to say I'll be having Jeff get me some Carbotechs all around next year and some better rotors at the very least.

On a side note I've been thrashing the Mustang on track and it's otherwise been a fucking trooper.

Slide pins were fine, the pads wore evenly and completely into the backing!! My concern was maybe melting the dust boots as that just happened to a friend on his Subaru causing a brake fire but they've been fine otherwise. Considering I've been doing around 125mph on the back straight and standing on the brakes they've done well holding up to the heat with the exception of the rear pads.

I'm lucky I caught this as I probably would have completely lost my brakes on the last session or had a fire.

The Mustang is a very different car from the dsm, my Laser took a beating for years on the tracks as the 1st gens were stout cars but the the Mustang is well built too. I've been consistently between 4-5k rpms while on the track and had no issues, temp gauge hasn't budged and it's not burning oil or anything. I just hope it continues.

I learned a bit of a lesson today when it comes to brakes. I had replaced the front pads with carbotechs from IPS, changed to ATE Super Blue brake fluid, new rotors up front and new stock pads in the back for this weekend.

Well after only 3 sessions today my back pads had disentegrated and dug quite deep into my rotors. I knew the pads wouldn't last but I had hoped they would last the weekend being only the back pads. I'll get a pic of what's left of my rotors tomorrow but they were completely thrashed. So about $100 extra later the car is back together, only thing that sucks is I couldn't get a hold of any decent pads for the rear so I bought 2 sets of stockers and will replace each after 2 sessions to make it through the day.

Anyone ever planning on doing a serious track day should plan on replacing/upgrading all the pads and rotors etc....Needless to say I'll be having Jeff get me some Carbotechs all around next year and some better rotors at the very least.

On a side note I've been thrashing the Mustang on track and it's otherwise been a fucking trooper.

till your transmission takes a shit :rolleyes: happened to mine about a month ago. i was quoted 900$ just to fix one synchro with the transmission already out of the car.....

Looks like you had an amazing time, apparently the mustang can take a beat down for the most part.

I worry about autocrossing with rear drums, but I want to try it before the summer is over. I've been becoming obsessed lately with doing a 5 lug and getting bad ass brakes all the way around.

Guest Removed
till your transmission takes a shit :rolleyes: happened to mine about a month ago. i was quoted 900$ just to fix one synchro with the transmission already out of the car.....

shit for the 3650 isnt cheap like a t5.

buy a tremec or upgrade to a t56

Guest Removed
Looks like you had an amazing time, apparently the mustang can take a beat down for the most part.

I worry about autocrossing with rear drums, but I want to try it before the summer is over. I've been becoming obsessed lately with doing a 5 lug and getting bad ass brakes all the way around.

94/95 spindels,99 up cobra calipers rotors, pads hoses, one adapter, and a set of axles from chad, and the bear rear disc kit, and take your pick of 99 up wheels and tires.:cool:

I'm about to get new pads and rotors. Brandon just got me the price the other day.

What do you think of the Carbotech? I was going Hawk HPS. I've not ordered anything yet so I can change it up.

94/95 spindels,99 up cobra calipers rotors, pads hoses, one adapter, and a set of axles from chad, and the bear rear disc kit, and take your pick of 99 up wheels and tires.:cool:

Sounds about right. I'm going with some bbs mesh type wheels for sure. More and more the brakes are the first thing I try to look at on nice cars.

Starting off with 5 lug and disk all the way around is awesome

Guest Removed
Sounds about right. I'm going with some bbs mesh type wheels for sure. More and more the brakes are the first thing I try to look at on nice cars.

Starting off with 5 lug and disk all the way around is awesome

i'll be doing this list in a few days on a fox body. only thing is im putting drums in the rear for now.

Well after only 3 sessions today my back pads had disentegrated and dug quite deep into my rotors. I knew the pads wouldn't last but I had hoped they would last the weekend being only the back pads. I'll get a pic of what's left of my rotors tomorrow but they were completely thrashed.

The stock rear rotors on the GT are solid (not vented like the fronts). Switch to a vented rear rotor (ala 96-04 Cobra). It will make a night and day difference on your rear pad and rotor life and its a cheap fix. :cool:

I have the Carbotech XP10 up front and will run the XP8 in the rear next year. The front brakes held up great despite temps near 1300 degrees. The XP10's were great, no fade, no glazing, nothing but solid braking all weekend.

Thorne, while Hawks are good pads the Carbotechs are in my opinion are better hands down. My buddy melted his Hawk HT-10 at Blackhawk last weekend. For you I would seriously get the Brembos off the STi on your car if you don't already have them, my buddy Ray has had nothing but problems with his brakes on his 09 WRX, he even caught them on fire last weekend.

No tranny issues for me, I have the TR3650. I had no problems with the car at all despite being 90 all weekend, cooling temps never budged and the car had no quirks.

I think for next year I'll be upgrading to Brembos or Stoptech for the front and just good pads in the rear, that's what the American Iron Mustangs are running.