Need Some ADVICE!!!

SicilianDude357

Hey guys.

Right now I drive a 1998 Ford Taurus. Its my only car and it's a good daily commuter...it has 114K miles on it and is now 11 years old and its going to start showing it more and more. I've been thinking about getting a new car soon for a while and now I have a deal on my plate

My friend is selling his car and wants to know if I want it. He has a 2001 Audi S8. Its in very good shape.... He gets hard on it but come on. Sports cars are meant to be driven, and Audi's are built like brick shit houses... It has a 4.2L V8 360hp, and has 91,500 miles...... He's asking me $11,000 for it... KBB has it at 16k to 17k.... what do you guys think?

Thanks for the Help.

Greg

i think it will kill you in repairs..bmw volks audis ..shit most high end imports will kill you in maintenance..most people that can truly afford them buy em new and trade them in or sell them after the warranty is up, knowing it can be costly..i say its not a bad price, but be prepared to spend cash if things break..and they will..id find something domestic thats cheaper on gas and parts etc

1. Maintenance on both will be about the same, with the Audi costing a bit more? More than what it's worth to have either, unless:

2. You do your own mechanical work. Typically German cars are expensive in both parts and labor, but what isn't expensive currently. Taurus seems to need regular repair work too. Labor rates for American are so high, what the heck is the difference.

3. Probably not the best choice for a primary car, unless you drive shorter distances to work and shopping. Gas mileage means nothing if you are only driving 10 miles to get to work.

4. Think about how and when you could resell it, like later this Summer or next. What price might you get when reselling it. You could have it for a while, have fun, and sell it for a profit.

5. Check the insurance cost on it first. It might cost more to insure.

keep the Taurus, if you ever do decide to get a different car, consider honda or toyota, I used to buy american cars, but got sick of always having them break down, they seems to fall apart rather quickly. I've had excellent luck especially with the '00 corolla I bought, over 40,000 miles I've put on it, and not a single problem.

Look, you can't compare a Toyota and a Civic with an A8. They are as different a type of car as trying to compare the taste of lighter fluid with that of a fresh strawberry...

That said, take it from me that Audis are known for electrical gremlins. Our family was a big VW and Audi family for a long time. They had more electrical issues than most any other car we owned. Windows, dash issues, lights, motor, etc. They are well known for that thing in the years around the one you are looking at. Just 411...

My opinion is that you should buy a BMW if you want a luxury sedan like that. A8s are not sports cars by any means, but are great performance sedans. Great torque down low, but I am a solid BMW fan and my parents have had nothing but GREAT things go on with their BMWs since they left Audi.

Just be careful, but for $11k, it sounds like a good deal. The regular stuff is pretty normal. Oil changes, the occasional part here and there - pretty par for the course. They are very dependable motors and will last a long time. The chassis is great, too...

Now things like tires, suspension mods, exhausts, etc. are pretty high for that car... But, it isn't a dime a dozen Civic, either...

Look, you can't compare a Toyota and a Civic with an A8. They are as different a type of car as trying to compare the taste of lighter fluid with that of a fresh strawberry...

That said, take it from me that Audis are known for electrical gremlins. Our family was a big VW and Audi family for a long time. They had more electrical issues than most any other car we owned. Windows, dash issues, lights, motor, etc. They are well known for that thing in the years around the one you are looking at. Just 411...

My opinion is that you should buy a BMW if you want a luxury sedan like that. A8s are not sports cars by any means, but are great performance sedans. Great torque down low, but I am a solid BMW fan and my parents have had nothing but GREAT things go on with their BMWs since they left Audi.

Just be careful, but for $11k, it sounds like a good deal. The regular stuff is pretty normal. Oil changes, the occasional part here and there - pretty par for the course. They are very dependable motors and will last a long time. The chassis is great, too...

Now things like tires, suspension mods, exhausts, etc. are pretty high for that car... But, it isn't a dime a dozen Civic, either...

1. Maintenance on both will be about the same, with the Audi costing a bit more? More than what it's worth to have either, unless:

2. You do your own mechanical work. Typically German cars are expensive in both parts and labor, but what isn't expensive currently. Taurus seems to need regular repair work too. Labor rates for American are so high, what the heck is the difference.

3. Probably not the best choice for a primary car, unless you drive shorter distances to work and shopping. Gas mileage means nothing if you are only driving 10 miles to get to work.

4. Think about how and when you could resell it, like later this Summer or next. What price might you get when reselling it. You could have it for a while, have fun, and sell it for a profit.

5. Check the insurance cost on it first. It might cost more to insure.

I'm 100% sure that in two years i could sell it for a profit. I go about 40miles a day which isn't bad....and lizard1...it is an S8...not an A8

I'm well aware of its MSRP. Funny thing about that is it isn't new anymore and it's European. Shit is going to start breaking on that ride. If it is so valuable why is your buddy willing to let it go so cheaply? He's losing almost 5 grand right off the top. Are you such good buddies that it's worth $5' date='000 to him to sell the car to you? I'm not implying anything here but all I see is a red flag. But hey, that's why I drive an old wagon and not an Audi.[/quote']

I thought the same thing... we are very close friends but considering the car is 8 years old its reaching that age where things will start to go...

I'm 100% sure that in two years i could sell it for a profit. I go about 40miles a day which isn't bad....and lizard1...it is an S8...not an A8

S8... Gotcha. Same platform, just sport tuned suspension and higher output motor. Still not a sports car... Great car, but not sport...

I only buy new and I'm never buying a Ford or Chevy again. They've done nothing but give me hell since I've been 16. My next ride will be a Honda RidgeLine.

You and Moose should go the same time and work a deal. He wants one too.

I've worked on my share of VWs, and well they're the exact same thing. They're a bitch to work on, and expensive. No one but the dealer wants to touch them, and you can imagine what they charge. That car has a good 200K left in her, but I'd be in this market you can find a better deal...

I only buy new and I'm never buying a Ford or Chevy again. They've done nothing but give me hell since I've been 16. My next ride will be a Honda RidgeLine.

i got a chevy cavalier that i got and it works great, i got 159k on it and only went thru 1 clutch (cause i beat the hell out of it when i first got it) but other that mines runin strong :)

• 3 years later...

Necro thread!

I'm wondering, three years after the fact, did the TC get the Audi?

I bought an older European sports car for $7k with 88k mile on it and it is still sitting in my garage. Granted, after nearly two years of ownership, it is due for some routine maintenance which will be expensive but I knew that when I bought it.