speedaddicts.com

V8 Beast

Looking at all the threads on here I notice that once you pass 12.9 or trap over 110 your car almost becomes equally as fun as it is frustrating. Its mostly expensive parts breaking and doing a lot of work just to see the car not perform the way you want. We all act at times like we are ok with it, but I know most of you at one time or another wanted to drive your cars off a cliff and walk away. The funny thing is that most of you dont... And even if you do you end up buying a new race car within a year anyway.

Some of you think its a hobby but you are actually addicted. Here are a few examples of things people do when they are addicted to racing...

1. Spend money they dont have

2. Do illegal things not caring about the consequenses

3. Spend hours in the garage working like an obsessed maniac

4. Miss work so they can race

5. Fight with family over their car/choose car over a loved one

6. Get a car that they cant drive in the snow as a daily driver just because its fast

7. Most conversations you have somehow turn into a convo about cars

8. Sit by the door waiting for UPS or FEDEX to deliver parts

9. Mod things like their riding lawn mower or golf cart

10. Go through withdrawal if they dont drive their fun car regularly

So for the people that sold their cars and/or were able to stay away from racing how do you do it? I could never see myself without some sort of fast car in my garage.

Its mostly expensive parts breaking and doing a lot of work just to see the car not perform the way you want.

Case in point. Remember this track day in 2003? Look at all the shiney parts all over the track behind my Formula, and even on the other side of the track around who I think is Anthony. :(

http://www.zeppelinsreef.com/images/formula_goes_boom.jpg

Made me get out of it for awhile. I even tried getting a 4-door with some kick (CTS-V), but ultimately I'm getting back into it. I have had a good dozen or so nice f-bodies over the years, from my first car (a '68 Firebird), a '69 Firebird, a '69 SS/RS 396 Camaro, '71 Camaro, '87 Trans Am, '92 1LE Z-28, etc. to the above '94 Formula. Wrenched on all of them and pissed away a small fortune. If its in your blood, it never goes away. Just gets temporarily shelved once in awhile. If you can get all the way out, you are VERY lucky.......and probably allot richer. ;)

Edited by Zeppelin

I've been racing one thing or another since I was 4 years old. From quads to Karts, and couldn't afford much of anything by the time I was 18. Took some time off after high school to get married and start a family, but now my obsessions are back and as strong as ever. Since the day I was born racing and motorsports have all I've been interested in. Hell my first word was Jeep, and at the time my Dad was mud racing his Jeep and taking me to sprint car races. The only time I tried most sports was when i was forced to in gym class. ha

My first speeding ticket was for 100mph. Spending 2 months of my senior year in high school riding the bus convinced me to think about the consequences of my actions before hand. But I've always loved going fast. I've got WAY too much money in my car, and getting ready to spend even more.

Looking at all the threads on here I notice that once you pass 12.9 or trap over 110 your car almost becomes equally as fun as it is frustrating. Its mostly expensive parts breaking and doing a lot of work just to see the car not perform the way you want. We all act at times like we are ok with it, but I know most of you at one time or another wanted to drive your cars off a cliff and walk away. The funny thing is that most of you dont... And even if you do you end up buying a new race car within a year anyway.

Some of you think its a hobby but you are actually addicted. Here are a few examples of things people do when they are addicted to racing...

1. Spend money they dont have ------ :( Yup done that one

2. Do illegal things not caring about the consequenses ---- Yup :(

3. Spend hours in the garage working like an obsessed maniac ---- This is normal right?

4. Miss work so they can race ---- It calls PTO damn it

5. Fight with family over their car/choose car over a loved one --- I try not to do this....

6. Get a car that they cant drive in the snow as a daily driver just because its fast ---- I own a Subbie so blah!!!!!

7. Most conversations you have somehow turn into a convo about cars ---- Wow this list sure knows me

8. Sit by the door waiting for UPS or FEDEX to deliver parts --- It's like santa

9. Mod things like their riding lawn mower or golf cart --- If its there I mod it from Pc's to cars

10. Go through withdrawal if they dont drive their fun car regularly --- Yeah when the car was down for a month I wanted to cry !!!!

So for the people that sold their cars and/or were able to stay away from racing how do you do it? I could never see myself without some sort of fast car in my garage.

I sometimes wish I did not enjoy my car so much. There is a feeling about laying it to the floor and watching the needle climb. It's cost me allot of cash and time. But yeah. The sad part is my wife is also waiting fora toy.

1. Spend money they dont have

2. Do illegal things not caring about the consequenses

3. Spend hours in the garage working like an obsessed maniac

4. Miss work so they can race

5. Fight with family over their car/choose car over a loved one

6. Get a car that they cant drive in the snow as a daily driver just because its fast

7. Most conversations you have somehow turn into a convo about cars

8. Sit by the door waiting for UPS or FEDEX to deliver parts

9. Mod things like their riding lawn mower or golf cart

10. Go through withdrawal if they dont drive their fun car regularly

Everyone of those reason is why I demodded my car and gave up.

My hubby and I have done all of the above. He has been out of the 12.9 trap or lower club since an old man hit his car a couple years ago. He is working on a new project so he can go fast again. I have to hear everyday about how he misses going fast. I miss my Sti somedays too. It sucks getting old and having children and a mortgage sometimes.

The first time I hit 12's in mine I talked to my car as if she were a real person. I said to my car "we did it baby, we finally got out of the fucking 13's" It was kind of odd because a few seconds later I realized that I just talked to my car...

This is a funny thread.

Larry, I remember that day at Norwalk well.

My obsession has really gotten bad this year. After yelling at a parts vendor for incorrectly shipping my part last night, I actualy did not go into the shop.

I dont remember the last time a whole day went by that I didnt do some work on the car. When my wife and I do go somewhere I get up early or stay up late to "do work"

It's nothing for me to work 30 hours in a weekend on the car and 2-5 hrs a day after work. When it gets to the point that I realize I need help it's really bad.

Well got to go, I need to order more parts, then I will think about actually doing some company work at work.

This quote sums it up:

"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague longing for something salty"

I have been around cars and racing my whole life and could neve picture my life without it. Trying to keep it sane is difficult at times but somehow I pull it off. All 10 of those are spot on.

If I had the money and the space to wrench on my car I would be at the track at least 2 times a week.

I think that the following should be added:

- You perk up when a car drives by with a certain exhaust tone and you want to see what it is.

- You can smell and tell that a car is running race gas

- Your car sets off car alarms in parking lots as you drive by

- Your wife is scared of your car

- Non-gearhead friends think you have a "problem"

-You spend hours trying to figure out how to squeeze that extra .001 out of a car

You forgot the part about parking a half mile away from where you want to go just to find an empty spot. I do this all the time, no matter what I'm driving.

All of these points are spot on. My dad actually looked at me yesterday and said something to the effect of "all you want to do anymore is car related stuff". I replied "that's because it's one of the only things that makes me happy anymore".

11.) Stay on the phone for hours screaming at parts companies.

12.) Further waiting on hold until you talk to someone that is worth a damn.

13.) Drink beer in the garage just to look at car.

14.) Talk to car on a normal basis.

13 and 14 make me laugh, because I have definitely done the beer drinking in the garage while looking at the car.

How about this one

15) Sit at work during the day on a Test and Tune Night and can only think about getting home quickly to get to the track.

Yesterday I thought about putting on the slicks and driving through a parking lot. My thought process was the downpour would be a perfect time to practice losing control of my car in case it ever happened during a race :wtf:

16. You take your car out in unsafe conditions after convincing yourself everything will be fine.

You forgot the part about parking a half mile away from where you want to go just to find an empty spot. I do this all the time, no matter what I'm driving.

All of these points are spot on. My dad actually looked at me yesterday and said something to the effect of "all you want to do anymore is car related stuff". I replied "that's because it's one of the only things that makes me happy anymore".

you are sad child Alex.

Yesterday I thought about putting on the slicks and driving through a parking lot. My thought process was the downpour would be a perfect time to practice losing control of my car in case it ever happened during a race :wtf:

16. You take your car out in unsafe conditions after convincing yourself everything will be fine.

17. You sit in your car for no reason to turn on the radio.

18. Further sitting in car, practicing "driving" while making sounds.

19. While taking the #2, find new parts that you have to have.

20. You wont have sex in your car because you feel your racing seats are worth more money than the girl you met at the bar that night. Instead you are willing to pay for a hotel room or show a stranger where you live :lol:

21. You can think of over 20 ways you are addicted to fast cars.

god I sold my car in march and it sucks bad not having one. I really have become more irritable since not having it. Having a bad day getting in your car and not even going fast just letting the motor drone on until that is all you are thinking about and nothing else matters. Having beaters is fine when you have something cool at home, but just having beaters is depressing

im glad im out of modding cars at the moment.

too much headache.

id rather have a decent daily and have my bike for when i want to have fun.

plus with my bike i can take long trips and enjoy a new area as well as my passion for riding.

but i will be getting a track bike soon. and i will start racing bikes (more like doing track days)

which is still going to be easier and less headache then modifying cars

plus there is just something about leaning a bike over at high speeds.. you cant get that rush from a car