Need timing retard assistance

V8 Beast

Give Paul a stopwatch. He can be your timing retard.

:mad:

hahahahaha

Can we keep this on topic please. the mans trying to prevent his car from blowing up, an doesnt need your dick head commments ...

brian goodluck have you tryed contacting the guy who did your tune to give you some pointers?

Guest Removed

normally you can run a wire to the ecu and have it tuned to pull timing when the wire is grounded with the N2o.

not sure if they make a paul box for the DIS system on the lsx stuff without it being a crazy price. i would suggest doing the pull timing trick with the wiring...ask need2pistons about it. he can fill you in more on it.

what tuning device are/ have you been using on it?

Guest Removed
Ummmmm yeah, I dont have a tuning device. I'm at the mercy of lap tops to pull timing.

you can make it do it in the ecu with a laptop..

what system are you using to tune it?

EFIlive has a custom operating system that can be utilized to pull timing, but you must run in SD. I used this for my car for a while and it works fine, but I wanted to go back to a MAF. Now I have the IAT sensor scaled so that when I unplug it, it will pull timing. This way isn't as convenient as the box MSD makes or the IAT interface that Casper's Electronics makes but it works.

Do you have an ignition system on the car Brian? MSD or the like?

IIRC I had a MSD 8970? on my car. Dont tell Bill Willoughby that though.

Thats what you need.

Keep in mind that LS1s have coil per cylinder, iirc Brian isn't running anything like that. The only decent ways to pull timing while spraying on these cars is to either use a timing box that plugs into the crank sensor (MSD), or use an IAT interface (which still requires the IAT vs timing table to be modified in the tune), but the simplest way is to flash the PCM.

Guest Removed
Do you have an ignition system on the car Brian? MSD or the like?

IIRC I had a MSD 8970? on my car. Dont tell Bill Willoughby that though.

Thats what you need.

you dont have DIS....:p

Other than Dyno Brian fine tuning the a/f with HP tuners its still on the original tune Rutan put in it years ago with EFI live. I'm on SD already. Rutan and I discussed the COS or something like that but we never got around to it.

Guest Removed
Other than Dyno Brian fine tuning the a/f with HP tuners its still on the original tune Rutan put in it years ago with EFI live. I'm on SD already. Rutan and I discussed the COS or something like that but we never got around to it.

thats what was talking about...set it up like scotts is ;)

I can help you set it up, but once it's on EFIlive's COS only EFIlive can read it and do much with it. HPtuners can't even log much, and Brady tried. It's up to you. Honestly if you were going to get that serious about it, just buy your own version of a tuning software and then you can log and all kinds of stuff. Totally up to you and how you want it to work. Any tuner in town could help you set-up an IAT interface and then you can have multiple timing retards at the turn of a switch. Here check this out, once it's wired in you set up the IAT vs timing table and you're all set to pull as much timing as you need to.

http://www.casperselectronics.com/store2/product_info.php?cPath=27_41_49&products_id=701

I can help you set it up, but once it's on EFIlive's COS only EFIlive can read it and do much with it. HPtuners can't even log much, and Brady tried. It's up to you. Honestly if you were going to get that serious about it, just buy your own version of a tuning software and then you can log and all kinds of stuff. Totally up to you and how you want it to work. Any tuner in town could help you set-up an IAT interface and then you can have multiple timing retards at the turn of a switch. Here check this out, once it's wired in you set up the IAT vs timing table and you're all set to pull as much timing as you need to.

http://www.casperselectronics.com/store2/product_info.php?cPath=27_41_49&products_id=701

Cool, what do I need to do the first one? I only do a 175 at most so that and full timing is all I need.