1 Killed in Drag Race off James Rd

TTQ B4U

I didn't find any pictures, but if it's the car I'm thinking of it has a roll bar. I see it on lane/high occassionally, and the "BUCK I" plate would make sense for the area....

Definitely sad to hear, I was hoping Columbus could at least finish out the summer without more of this.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Removed
Man dies after car crashes, bursts into flames on East Side

Tuesday, August 25, 2009 11:53 PM

By JOHN FUTTY

THE COLUMBUS DISPATCH

Bystanders carried a critically injured man from the middle of S. James Road and tried to revive him after a crash tonight, but he died later at Grant Medical Center, Columbus police said.

The man, whose identity was not released, was thrown from his Honda S2000 convertible, which spun into a tree and burst into flames after it was struck from behind by a pickup truck, said a witness who watched from his front door.

The collision occurred about 8:15 p.m. between E. Broad Street and Elbern Avenue on the East Side.

Horace Jordan Jr., 20, said he and his father were among those who rushed to help the man as he lay near the burning vehicle. Several people carried him to a nearby driveway.

"We were afraid to move him, but the car really started picking up some heat," Jordan said. "A lot of people tried to revive him until the paramedics got there."

The driver of a Ford F150 pickup truck was transported to a hospital but was not in life-threatening condition. Jordan and other witnesses said that a second pickup truck fled the scene after leaving the road and striking a small tree.

All three vehicles were southbound and Jordan said it appeared the driver of the convertible was trying to get out of the way of the trucks.

Neighbors said speeding cars, trucks and motorcycles are a nightly problem on the stretch of S. James Road, which has a posted speed limit of 35 mph.

"I complain to police all the time," said Jim Long, who has lived at 122 S. James Rd. for 38 years. "Motorcycles come through here doing wheelies. A lot of cars drag-race through here."

Jordan said he long has feared that he would see a serious crash outside his house.

"It's something I prayed would not happen."

jfutty@dispatch.com

http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/local_news/stories/2009/08/25/james_crash.html?sid=101

Edit: Here's channel 10's version of the story from their website. They also have a video if you follow the link.

COLUMBUS, Ohio — A fiery, fatal collision between two cars on an east side thoroughfare may have been the result of a street race Tuesday night.

http://10tv.com/wwwexportcontent/sites/10tv/local/stories/2009/08/26/image_james.jpg

One man was killed and another person injured in the crash involving a pickup truck and a convertible, 10TV's Kurt Ludlow reported.

Witnesses told police the two vehicles were racing, speeding south on James Road just south of East Broad Street around 8:30 p.m. when the vehicles tangled.

The convertible crashed into a tree and spun out, ejecting the driver. The sports car then caught on fire.

The pickup continued for a few hundred yards, before it crashed into a fire hydrant and came to a stop in the middle of James Road.

Neighbors rushed to help the critically injured driver of the convertible after the sound of the collision drowned out everything else.

"It sounded like a big boom," Horace Jordan told 10TV News. "It was pretty hectic, like a sonic boom, like metal hitting something really hard."

Jordan and other residents tried to help the driver.

"We pulled the man who got ejected from his car over, but by the time the paramedics came, we kind of didn't know if he was still there or not," Jordan said.

The drivers of both vehicles were transported to the hospital. The driver of the convertible was pronounced dead at Grant Medical Center.

Neighbors told 10TV News that James Road is a favorite of street racers.

Police did not release the names of the drivers early Wednesday.

Watch 10TV News and refresh 10TV.com for additional information.

http://10tv.com/live/content/local/stories/2009/08/26/story_james.html?sid=102

Two different stories. Was the S200 racing, or was is trying to get out of the way of two pickups that were racing? Witnesses said there was three and the S2000 was just getting out of the way, but 10TV says the S2000 was racing. Dunno, seems like 10TV is hyping street racing and pointing fingers at the flashy sportscar.

thats not the s2000 that was for sale not too long ago was it? it was turboed ect.

edit: no its not, i found it in a search and it has different plates.

That was my first thought, but that guy didn't have personalized plates.

got this comment from nbci

THE VICTIM WAS HIT BY ONE OF TWO SPEEDING PICK-UP TRUCKS, ONE FLED THE SCENE. THE OTHER IS IN THE HOSPITAL. THE VICTIM LIVED NOT 2 BLOCKS FROM THE SITE OF THE ACCIDENT AND WAS A WONDERFUL YOUNG MAN FROM A WONDERFUL FAMILY. NORM AND MARIE ALTMAN WERE HIS GRANDPARENTS AND LIVED BUT BLOCKS AWAY AS WELL. HIS MOTHER WAS ONE OF FIVE DAUGHTERS TO NORM AND MARIE. THE VICTIM WAS MARRIED TO A PRECIOUS YOUNG GIRL WHO RELOCATED FROMHER ROOTS IN NEW YORK STATE TO TEACH IN COLUMBUS AND BE A PART OF THIS TRULY GREAT FAMILY. TIMMY- YOU ARE SO LOVED AND MISSED.
Edited by Moostang

got this comment from nbci

"THE VICTIM WAS HIT BY ONE OF TWO SPEEDING PICK-UP TRUCKS, ONE FLED THE SCENE. THE OTHER IS IN THE HOSPITAL. THE VICTIM LIVED NOT 2 BLOCKS FROM THE SITE OF THE ACCIDENT AND WAS A WONDERFUL YOUNG MAN FROM A WONDERFUL FAMILY. NORM AND MARIE ALTMAN WERE HIS GRANDPARENTS AND LIVED BUT BLOCKS AWAY AS WELL. HIS MOTHER WAS ONE OF FIVE DAUGHTERS TO NORM AND MARIE. THE VICTIM WAS MARRIED TO A PRECIOUS YOUNG GIRL WHO RELOCATED FROMHER ROOTS IN NEW YORK STATE TO TEACH IN COLUMBUS AND BE A PART OF THIS TRULY GREAT FAMILY. TIMMY- YOU ARE SO LOVED AND MISSED."

Sad to hear.

S. JAMES ROAD

Driver of convertible hit from behind, dies

Wednesday, August 26, 2009 3:16 AM

By John Futty

THE COLUMBUS DISPATCH

Bystanders carried a critically injured man from the middle of S. James Road and tried to revive him after a crash last night, but he died later at Grant Medical Center, Columbus police said. The man, whose identity was not released, was thrown from his Honda S2000 convertible, which spun into a tree and burst into flames after it was struck from behind by a pickup truck, said a witness who watched from his front door.

The collision occurred about 8:15 p.m. between E. Broad Street and Elbern Avenue on the East Side.

Horace Jordan Jr., 20, said he and his father were among those who rushed to help the man as he lay near the burning vehicle. Several people carried him to a nearby driveway.

"We were afraid to move him, but the car really started picking up some heat," Jordan said. "A lot of people tried to revive him until the paramedics got there."

The driver of a Ford F-150 pickup truck was transported to a hospital but was not in life-threatening condition. Jordan and other witnesses said that a second pickup truck fled the scene after leaving the road and striking a small tree.

All three vehicles were southbound, and Jordan said it appeared the driver of the convertible was trying to get out of the way of the trucks.

Neighbors said speeding cars, trucks and motorcycles are a nightly problem on the stretch of S. James Road, which has a posted speed limit of 35 mph.

"I complain to police all the time," said Jim Long, who has lived at 122 S. James Rd. for 38 years. "Motorcycles come through here doing wheelies. A lot of cars drag-race through here."

Jordan said he long has feared that he would see a serious crash outside his house.

"It's something I prayed would not happen."

Atleast i sounds like it was not the cr member at fault.