I hate the smell of primer

Buck531

I once used killz in an enclosed bathroom without ventilation for roughly an hour. Only after I opened the door and breathed in fresh air did I realize how close I was to passing out/dying. Luckily I have plenty of brain cells to spare.

The smell was stuck in my throat for 2 days.

i once was painting car parts in my garage with auto paint and decided it was ok for the time being not to use a mask since it was inside. Bad idea i realized just how quickly fumes can get to you, almost passed out from the fumes and was blowing red paint from my nose for quite some time

What were you primering you needed to use kilz for?

this shit.

http://bucky.kicks-ass.net/home/paneling/100_0713.JPG

and

http://bucky.kicks-ass.net/home/paneling/100_0727.JPG

I'm sure as hell not going to paint a neutral colored wall over that.

And no, it wasn't oil based. Just smelled.

It was from when I removed the paneling from the previous owner that he put on all over the walls.

Should have saved the money and went with a cheaper primer tinted to whatever the final color would be. Most of todays paints have primers built in even if the manufacturer doesnt state it. It would have covered. I just paint a solid deep maroon room with one coat of white paint. It covered perfectly.

Should have saved the money and went with a cheaper primer tinted to whatever the final color would be. Most of todays paints have primers built in even if the manufacturer doesnt state it. It would have covered. I just paint a solid deep maroon room with one coat of white paint. It covered perfectly.

Uhh.. negative. It's going to be a lighter color. Darker colors tend to make the room a lot smaller. It's going to be a lighter tan color or something along those lines.

I've dealt with primer before.. lots of time in this house. I just forgot how bad it smelled.

My dad is a general contractor and painting is my profession, no way in hell did you use 1coat of white to cover a marroon colored wall. I bet it looks fantastic if you really did only put 1 coat over it. Also oil based paints are a thing of the past, they can no longer be sold, dont believe me call sherwin williams. All the paints are being fucked with now in attempt to make them user and eco friendly.

My dad is a general contractor and painting is my profession, no way in hell did you use 1coat of white to cover a marroon colored wall. I bet it looks fantastic if you really did only put 1 coat over it. Also oil based paints are a thing of the past, they can no longer be sold, dont believe me call sherwin williams. All the paints are being fucked with now in attempt to make them user and eco friendly.

HA.. I went over with one coat and I was like.. fuck that. I gotta do two coats.

Here's the ones I just took a few minutes ago.

http://Http://bucky.kicks-ass.net/home/paneling/primer

You can obviously see where I only did one coat. I also need to do the trim. I'll get to it probably next week.

Yes, the walls aren't perfect. I had to attempt o fix a lot of shit and it sucked. It's better than the paneling that was there.

I have painted thousands of residences and buildings including hundreds of multi unit properties and even water towers. Not to mention the hundreds oh homes I have flipped for landlords and property managers. I have painted in in 6 states and at one time had as many as 16 full time employees. Trust me when I say I know what I am talking about. True not all colors and paints will cover every color and paint. However it is not unheard for a paint in a light color to cover a paint in a dark color. Where a product like kilz is great at what it does, it is not necessarily needed to cover up an old color although certainly makes it easier to do so. Oil based paints are not the thing of the past nor ever will be. Are you sure your not thinking of lead based? Oil based paints and primers have a specific purpose one of which is, oil base is needed to prime certain things latex cannot, and another is oil is needed in winter times to be used outside where latex cannot. They still sell many oil based paints. However it is true that oil based paints are not used nearly as much as previously used.

I have painted thousands of residences and buildings including hundreds of multi unit properties and even water towers. Not to mention the hundreds oh homes I have flipped for landlords and property managers. I have painted in in 6 states and at one time had as many as 16 full time employees. Trust me when I say I know what I am talking about. True not all colors and paints will cover every color and paint. However it is not unheard for a paint in a light color to cover a paint in a dark color. Where a product like kilz is great at what it does, it is not necessarily needed to cover up an old color although certainly makes it easier to do so. Oil based paints are not the thing of the past nor ever will be. Are you sure your not thinking of lead based? Oil based paints and primers have a specific purpose one of which is, oil base is needed to prime certain things latex cannot, and another is oil is needed in winter times to be used outside where latex cannot. They still sell many oil based paints. However it is true that oil based paints are not used nearly as much as previously used.

I worked for a painting company 3 years and this is true. Put two coats of primer on it and one finish it would most likely have the same results. I have only used kilz when there is stains of some sort like water stains or someone wrote on the wall with markers.

No I am pretty sure they stopped dealing oil paint in Janurary. Has to do with VOC levels. I know lead paint is outlawed that happened in the late 70's. They are going to all water-based.

Several states have also banned oil based products

http://money.cnn.com/2005/05/24/news/midcaps/oil_based_paint/index.htm

This is also true. You are no long aloud to have open gallons of oil based paint on the job. SW has stoped making several oil paints and have came out with new heavy duty latex paints to try and take their place. They are only aloud to sell quarts of oil based paints.

You can still purchase oil based primers in gallons. You can also still buy oil based paints in gallons but they must be used in industrial situations for areas such as bare metals. Alot of the oil based products out there have switched to a more solid composition vs. a previous solvent composition. They are currently in the process of coming out with a water soluable alkyd base product in the promar200 lineup which will be able to be used where oil based paints currently cannot now but once were. Alkyd resins have been added years back as the bonding agent in oil based paints.