Removing chrome and painting/plating spoke nipples

AWW$HEEET

I have a few questions that some may be able to answer:

1.) How the fuck do you remove chrome? Im rebuilding a Harley, and I am removing all chrome from this beast. I have tried everything from a wire brush, to a DA sander with 80 grit. I cannot get any of it off. Ultimately I would like it to be a paintable surface. Ive experimented with hitting it with the DA, then painting a test part, and this is a no go. The paint doesnt stick, and runs all over the place.

2.) I am building a pair of wheels, and I am looking for copper/gold color spoke nipples. Currently 40 of the nipples are just raw aluminum, the other 40 are chrome. I cannot find copper nipples so I would like to have these done in either copper, or gold. Any ideas? Dipped? Painted?

Thanks in advance.

Blasting and chemical stripping by a professional i believe are your only options. However chrome is a hazardous material and if caught dumping it once stripped could result in huge fines. Another downside is there is nickel under chrome and is even harder to remove. Call a professional or ask the guys at wheel medic, they may have some insight. Good luck.

Be careful muriatic acid is nasty stuff, dont breath it in but if you can heat the acid in a glass bowl it will help. Also dont get the acid around any steel you care about. the acid has been known to destroy steel beams years after the acid has merely come in contact with them only once.