Illegal search and seziure on bethel tonight

Trouble Maker

U turns are illegal everywhere in the city of Columbus. Are we not talking about the checkpoint this past friday night?

Plus, why are you still dodging the question of whether or not you feel that looks suspicious?

Are you one of those people that feels that cops should only be 100% reactionary?

I don't think it does look suspicious at all. It is none of the po po bidness where I am going and why. If you break the law with a u turn then get a ticket. Columbus is not the only place these checks take place

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lets face it there are some people that are perfectly fine with giving up their rights. This is exactly why we have boarder patrol stops 50+ miles inside the US, DUI stops and the infamous seat belt checkpoints. The intrusion on our rights will continue until we have a revolution.

I still don't see how it is giving up a right. I avoided going through it just fine. I avoided it because I was in a hurry friday night. If people don't want to go through it, they avoid it.

I don't think it does look suspicious at all. It is none of the po po bidness where I am going and why. If you break the law with a u turn then get a ticket. Columbus is not the only place these checks take place

You don't think avoidance looks suspicious at all? Wow, what is suspicious? Driving with a sign that says "I'm a criminal"? Is that the only way cops can do their jobs?

I still don't see how it is giving up a right. I avoided going through it just fine. I avoided it because I was in a hurry friday night. If people don't want to go through it, they avoid it.

You don't think avoidance looks suspicious at all? Wow, what is suspicious? Driving with a sign that says "I'm a criminal"? Is that the only way cops can do their jobs?

If it is illegal to make the turn sure it looks suspicious, if it is within my right to make the turn then no it should not look suspicious. Maybe I just dont choose to take the extra time to participate in the infringement of civil liberties. We have way to many over zealous cops in this world.

BTW, the supreme court ruling was a split opinion. Some of the Justices view the stops as violating the 4th amendment. 14 other states think the way I do and have outlawed the stops, including Michigan

If it is illegal to make the turn sure it looks suspicious, if it is within my right to make the turn then no it should not look suspicious. Maybe I just dont choose to take the extra time to participate in the infringement of civil liberties. We have way to many over zealous cops in this world.

BTW, the supreme court ruling was a split opinion. Some of the Justices view the stops as violating the 4th amendment. 14 other states think the way I do and have outlawed the stops, including Michigan

A maneuver to clearly avoid a cop would pass under "reasonable suspicion" in every state. Merely turning into a shopping center with open establishments is not that. Like I said and others have said, they have avoided the checkpoints by just going into shopping centers.

BTW, it was a 6-3 decision and 11 states have outlawed it.

A maneuver to clearly avoid a cop would pass under "reasonable suspicion" in every state. Merely turning into a shopping center with open establishments is not that. Like I said and others have said, they have avoided the checkpoints by just going into shopping centers.

BTW, it was a 6-3 decision and 11 states have outlawed it.

sorry thought it was 14. See, at least 3 lawyers think it infringes on rights;)

Love how people try and stand up against the man...typical. talk theories, laws and voilations but when you stop to take a breath come see the results of drunk and impared drivers with me in the ER.

cops dont make the laws, talk to your state rep.

Love how people try and stand up against the man...typical. talk theories, laws and voilations but when you stop to take a breath come see the results of drunk and impared drivers with me in the ER.

cops dont make the laws, talk to your state rep.

No one here is defending drunks, just civil liberties. All the cops at these events could be patrolling the streets and finding drunks on the roads without check points. Michigan and other states have found the check points are not very effective in catching drunk drivers. I think the man power could be better spent being productive and keeping our civil liberties intact.

No one here is defending drunks, just civil liberties. All the cops at these events could be patrolling the streets and finding drunks on the roads without check points. Michigan and other states have found the check points are not very effective in catching drunk drivers. I think the man power could be better spent being productive and keeping our civil liberties intact.

From what I was told by a buddy who is CPD is that these are special duty cops paid for by grant funding.

No no no... the cops are forcing everyone in the city to drive through there. They have blocked off all alt routes in the area.

I have driven through several and have never seen one blocked off. We just had one in Pataskala a couple of weeks ago and they had signs at least a half mile away from the check point. If you wanted to go around you would have had plenty of opportunity. They didn't even stop me, just waved me through.

-Nikki

Your tax dollars at work.:thumbdown

So like I asked before, do you think think cops should only be reactionary? Can only stop people with a sign on their car that says "I'm a criminal"?

I'd rather have my tax dollars going towards trying to keep the roads safer than on welfare checks towards Betty Blow's crack habits.

Guest tbutera2112
So like I asked before, do you think think cops should only be reactionary? Can only stop people with a sign on their car that says "I'm a criminal"?

I'd rather have my tax dollars going towards trying to keep the roads safer than on welfare checks towards Betty Blow's crack habits.

writing the dui after the person plows into someone killing them seems waaaaay more logical than writing the dui before they kill people....get with it LJ

I'm with V8KILR on this one... The police and law makers should be out doing their jobs instead of violating our rights to make it easier on them. I’m not saying that drunk drivers are okay, but as easy as it is for us sober drivers to avoid check points, don’t you think that they are just as easy for a drunk driver to avoid? So what good does it do? And if you don’t think that it’s wrong to stop and search law biding citizens then you need to wake up…

I'm with V8KILR on this one... The police and law makers should be out doing their jobs instead of violating our rights to make it easier on them. I’m not saying that drunk drivers are okay, but as easy as it is for us sober drivers to avoid check points, don’t you think that they are just as easy for a drunk driver to avoid? So what good does it do? And if you don’t think that it’s wrong to stop and search law biding citizens then you need to wake up…

I dunno where people are getting the "search" thing? They ask you how you are etc, and suspect if you are drunk or have been drinking, they then have probable cause to proceed in field sobriety tests, etc.

They aren't just stopping people and searching through their cars randomly.

Also, like I said, these aren't on duty cops, they are special duty, meaning the police force out and around the city is the same.

Guest tbutera2112
I dunno where people are getting the "search" thing? They ask you how you are etc, and suspect if you are drunk or have been drinking, they then have probable cause to proceed in field sobriety tests, etc.

They aren't just stopping people and searching through their cars randomly.

Also, like I said, these aren't on duty cops, they are special duty, meaning the police force out and around the city is the same.

i read that average cost for a checkpoint is $9100, and that on average they are able to save $64k from resources that would have otherwise been used to catch the drivers they caught, while at the same time reducing fatalities by 15%

If they set up a DUI checkpoint theres going to be a reason it is there. Either they've had increased occurences of drunk drivers in that area or because theres an event going on they want to be prepared for. They don't setup roadblocks just to piss you off, sorry to disappoint you.

Have you ever ridden an airplane? They look through all your shit, make you take off your belt and your shoes. I have never had a cop go beyond a simple "How are you this evening?"

If they set up a DUI checkpoint theres going to be a reason it is there. Either they've had increased occurences of drunk drivers in that area or because theres an event going on they want to be prepared for. They don't setup roadblocks just to piss you off, sorry to disappoint you.

Have you ever ridden an airplane? They look through all your shit, make you take off your belt and your shoes. I have never had a cop go beyond a simple "How are you this evening?"

My buddy who used to do a lot of DUI cases has said before that 315 and Bethel has the highest occurrences of DUI in the city.

From what I recall from a case study of the Supreme Court ruling, Chief Justice Rehnquist admitted that road checkpoints infringed on an individual's rights. However, he and the majority ruled that they are still justified because they are only minor infringements compared to the greater goal of protecting others.

If you ask me, this is proof that they are making "exemptions", if you will, to the Fourth Amendment. Sure, it seems somewhat minor and I could probably go around the checkpoint. That's a moot point, though. I tend to stand with the crowd who enjoy not giving up any of my rights.

From what I recall from a case study of the Supreme Court ruling, Chief Justice Rehnquist admitted that road checkpoints infringed on an individual's rights. However, he and the majority ruled that they are still justified because they are only minor infringements compared to the greater goal of protecting others.

If you ask me, this is proof that they are making "exemptions", if you will, to the Fourth Amendment. Sure, it seems somewhat minor and I could probably go around the checkpoint. That's a moot point, though. I tend to stand with the crowd who enjoy not giving up any of my rights.

That is the whole point. You give up a little bit of rights they will eventually take a lot of them from you.

Our police system is reactionary. That is another reason you need to protect yourself and not think the po po is going to protect you.

DUI check points are for lazy cops to get out of doing actual police work. Go patrol and look for people that are breaking the law and then make the appropriate stops and arrest if necessary. Criminals do things that make them stick out to the cops, if the cops would put down the doughnut and look out of the cruiser window they might notice it.

i read that average cost for a checkpoint is $9100, and that on average they are able to save $64k from resources that would have otherwise been used to catch the drivers they caught, while at the same time reducing fatalities by 15%

Last time I checked, saving even just one life due to nabbing a DUI driver and taking him off the road was priceless. /thread. :nod:

Here's an article from Aug. 2009 just outside where I was staying in Pittsburgh. 1 person per hour in a small stretch of road was driving under the influence.

LEETSDALE, Pa. -- The West Hills DUI Task Force has released results of a sobriety checkpoint that was held over the weekend on Ohio River Boulevard (Route 65) in Leetsdale.

A total of 866 vehicles passed through the checkpoint from 10:30 p.m. Saturday until 3:30 a.m. Sunday, police said.

Five people were arrested on DUI charges and another was arrested on a warrant, police said.

Also, nine citations were issued for traffic violations.

Think about it.....1 person per hour in just about any part of the road you're on is DUI. Makes driving around with your family in the back of a minivan a scary thought really. :eek:

Perhaps that guy that just about clipped my car last night on the way home from our dinner wasn't texting on this phone after all :confused:

To all those that don't like speed traps....including me...and continue to bitch about playing "dodge-the-cop" on the freeways, they could just do like AZ and put up photo cameras.

Same with DUI checkpoints. Instead of putting 20-30 cops and troopers at one checkpoint, they could just put 4-6 of them on bethel road pulling people over for every single little thing like 1mph over or no signal, tailgating, tint, front plates, etc. just to get a chance to look into their eyes and smell their breath. Believe me, that could be a realilty and IMO might actually nap more DUI folks and would definitely take more money out of your pocket.

So call it a twisting of your "rights" all you want, it sure beats the alternative of having them stalk everyone around town.

Last time I checked, saving even just one life due to nabbing a DUI driver and taking him off the road was priceless. /thread. :nod:

Life is priceless, but giving up freedoms is expensive too. Over time being comfortable with loss of liberty will net the loss of many lives.

Here's an article from Aug. 2009 just outside where I was staying in Pittsburgh. 1 person per hour in a small stretch of road was driving under the influence.

Think about it.....1 person per hour in just about any part of the road you're on is DUI. Makes driving around with your family in the back of a minivan a scary thought really. :eek:

If that many drunk are on the roads, a little "real" police work will with a few cops on the beat should be able to net that.

Same with DUI checkpoints. Instead of putting 20-30 cops and troopers at one checkpoint, they could just put 4-6 of them on bethel road pulling people over for every single little thing like 1mph over or no signal, tailgating, tint, front plates, etc. just to get a chance to look into their eyes and smell their breath. Believe me, that could be a realilty and IMO might actually nap more DUI folks and would definitely take more money out of your pocket.

So call it a twisting of your "rights" all you want, it sure beats the alternative of having them stalk everyone around town.

How about just looking for those people that exhibit signs of impairment?

Life is priceless, but giving up freedoms is expensive too. Over time being comfortable with loss of liberty will net the loss of many lives.

Again, I don't see how them stopping traffic and conducting a DUI checkpoint is a violation of our rights. I don't complain when they search my camera bag at football games nor do I care if they run my plates as they cruise behind me. Besides, the little bit of freedom that we give up, could very well save my kids lives. I'll deal with the latter portion of your statement when the entire country finally revolts in war...as I don't see that likely happening anytime soon. I hear a lot of whining, but no action.

If that many drunk are on the roads, a little "real" police work will with a few cops on the beat should be able to net that.

How is a DUI Check point not real police work? Should it really have to be a dog and cat game to catch a drunk? It's not like every cop on the road just pulls someone over for a DUI check. They do it in a very organized and usually well advertised fashion, not just anytime they feel like it for no reason.

How about just looking for those people that exhibit signs of impairment?

That's exactly what they are doing. Only they are able to nap drivers who are impaired yet able to use cruise control and maintain driving between the lines, yet can't react quick enough to perhaps stop within a safe distance or react to those around them quick enough. Things that simply observing someone for a short distance may not reveal.

Look, I see your rub. I just happen to agree with the courts that we someitimes need a little inconvenience to nap the bad guys. Warrants for phone taps, restriction of your rights to own a gun if convicted of a crime, etc. make a little stop on your way home from dinner nothing in terms of the big picture.

Checkpoints maybe legal in Ohio but a lot of times police will use this to illegal search your car. Most people wave their rights without even thinking twice and the cop will not tell you that you are waving your rights. It isn't illegal to do that. Any cop that violates your constitutional rights on purpose is worthless imo/

Read the following from one of my favorite websites flexyourrights.org

28. Roadblocks: What’s the deal?

There are several types of roadblocks and they’re quite different:

Sobriety Checkpoints

Also known as DUI Checkpoints or sometimes Driver’s License Checkpoints, these are the most common roadblocks you might encounter. They function as a general purpose investigatory tactic in which police get a good hard look at passing motorists by detaining them briefly. A roadblock stop is quick, but it gives police a chance to check tags and licenses, while also giving officers a quick whiff of the driver’s breath and a chance to peer into the vehicle for a moment.

Remember that your Constitutional rights still apply in a roadblock situation. Though police are permitted to stop you briefly, they may not search you or your car unless they have evidence against you or you agree to the search. Bear in mind, however, that if you’re driving under the influence, your Constitutional rights provide very little protection in this situation.

Since the Supreme Court’s ruling in Illinois v. Caballes police also have more leeway to use drug-sniffing dogs in roadblock situations. Unfortunately, the Constitution provides very little protection against this. There’s no need to waive your rights simply because dogs are present, but be advised that your legal options are limited if you’re arrested as a result of a dog sniff during a roadblock. Keep this in mind when decided who or what to bring with you in the car.

Also keep in mind that police closely monitor cars approaching the roadblock. You’re not likely to have any success evading an upcoming roadblock.

Sobriety Checkpoints are generally permitted by the courts, but only if conducted properly. If you’re arrested at a police roadblock always consult an attorney before confessing or agreeing to a plea bargain. There might be some legal options that your lawyer can pursue.

Emergency Checkpoints

Sometimes police will set up temporary roadblocks after a serious crime occurs. The purpose of emergency checkpoints is to capture suspects or to identify possible witnesses. In this situation, police will often allow you to pass through once they confirm that you’re not the person they’re looking for. Of course, police are free to arrest you for minor crimes even if they’re investigating something more serious.

If a serious crime occurs in your area, keep in mind that more police will be on the streets. Officers are often required to work longer hours during emergency periods, which can make them tense and irritable. Use caution in such situations even if you haven’t done anything wrong, and remember that dealing with emergencies is something we want our police officers to do.

Checkpoints Near the Border

Police sometimes set up checkpoints near national borders. These are similar to other checkpoints in that officers may ask questions and check your documents. Police may try to intimidate you in consenting to a search, but remember that being near a border is not the same as crossing it. You have a right to refuse searches at these checkpoints just like the others.

Drug Checkpoints

Drug checkpoints are a trap! The Supreme Court has ruled that random checkpoints for the purpose of finding illegal drugs are unconstitutional. However, police sometimes put up signs warning drivers of up-coming drug checkpoints and instead pull over people who make illegal u-turns or discard contraband out the window. If you see a sign saying “Drug Checkpoint Ahead”, just keep driving and don’t panic. If there’s a rest area following the sign, DO NOT pull into it. If you do, you’ll find yourself surrounded by drug-sniffing dogs.

Police Departments, especially in the Mid-west, have been pushing their luck with this tactic, so if you encounter anything resembling an actual drug checkpoint, please contact that state’s ACLU Chapter. Similarly, if you’re arrested as a result of a real or fake “drug checkpoint”, you must contact an attorney to explore your legal options.