Free - Oscar (fish)

evan9381

so before i dove into getting oscars, i didnt do much/any research. had a 55g tank, and got 6 when they were really small (<2"). within a few weeks, 3 had died. probably from stress/overcrowding.

come to find out, a good rule of thumb is 1 fish per 30g of water...so 2 is about my limit.

the 3 i have now are probably around 1.5 years old...ive got one pretty decent size, one thats getting there, and another that is still small...maybe 3.5-4". he looks like a dwarf compared to the big fish

im hoping someone with a larger tank may want to take the smaller one, and let it grow in a proper environment. ive wanted to get a bigger tank, but cant justify spending what i want to at this time.

its a black oscar with orange running through him. very hearty fish, they just went through a move from my apartment to my house 17 miles in mid march, with no problems

always ready to eat, smaller goldfish, flake food, blood worms, crickets (if you can catch them outside and toss them ontop of the water)

im not a fish expert so i dont know what would be the best way to change tanks...maybe come with a 5g bucket with a couple gallons of your water and ill throw a couple of mine in so its not a complete shock? i dont know. maybe someone can chime in

regardless though, free fish. was $7 when i bought him 1.5 years ago, and has gotten a little bigger, but just not as much as the other two

If you really cannot keep him, most aquarium stores would be very happy to get him. If you check around they might even give you a few bucks for him. I have had to do that a couple of times when fish outgrew a tank.

Guest tbutera2112

just to clarify...the 1 per 30g limit is for just oscars with other oscars or what? we had a 110g tank with a 6" oscar, and a shit ton of african chiclids (sp), and a random thing or two of others...our fish did perfectly fine...musta been 20 fish in the tank, oscar being the biggest...

sorry to thread shit...just curious if we were doing it wrong, or if we got lucky, or if you just meant oscars with other oscars

i read it was just for oscars.

really, id love to pick up a 125g tank, and either put all 3 oscars in there and then do cichlids in my 55, but ive been trying to save money and been doing ok recently, and i want to keep it up. lol

no recent pics...heres one from when they were small and i first got them...

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y267/evan938/DSC02478.jpg?t=1206153697

hes lost a little of the orange, but again, i think hes getting stressed out and the bigger ones not letting him eat as much, hence why i want to give him a new home.

just to clarify...the 1 per 30g limit is for just oscars with other oscars or what? we had a 110g tank with a 6" oscar, and a shit ton of african chiclids (sp), and a random thing or two of others...our fish did perfectly fine...musta been 20 fish in the tank, oscar being the biggest...

sorry to thread shit...just curious if we were doing it wrong, or if we got lucky, or if you just meant oscars with other oscars

You just got lucky. Putting South American Cichlids (Oscars) with African Cichlids is not supposed to be done. They require completely different Ph levels.

You could always just buy my 75G tank.

lol...ive been at like 2 different places since then. im going to be at work all day tomorrow until 8pm...if you want to come over after 8, give me a call or text (would be best to text since i work in a call center). other than that, i wont have another day off until probably saturday...gotta eat up the OT while its available