Trailer wiring help

wnaplay1647545503

Wiring a basic 4 wire plug. I am having issues and I dont know if its the vehicle I am testing it on or the wiring.

I hooked both brown wires coming off the lights to the brown wire of the new plug. Grounded the white wire to the trailer, then attached each of the other wires from the lights to their approprite point on the plug.

I plug it into the car and All I have is one side turn signal working. If I switch wires, the other side works, so I know the wires are good. However I cant get running lights on the trailer, and I cant get the other side to work if wired the way I think it is suppose to.

Could it be the cars plug in not working? And in fact the trailer is wired correctly? I am using the 4 plug adapter to the goofy 6plug gm shit or whatever it is which I have used on plenty of other trailers this exact same way and it has always worked. What gives?

I have hooked mine up directly how it is shown on all the diagrams so I am thinking it has to be the vehicle I am hooking it to. I have 2 of the adapters and both have worked in the past but neither one is now. Theres all kinds of diagrams on the web that shows where everything should go and I should have it but it just dont make sense.

Hit me up, sounds easy enough, just let me swing by with my test light. Depending on vehicle a lot of late models have separate fuses for the trailer wiring, check those.

power for the trailer circuits are dead... fuse are good. the light he is missing , just are not getting power to the fuses

Found the whole article:

Subject:Installation of an Aftermarket Trailer Brake Harness - keywords connector lamp light mount pedal #PIT3204C - (12/23/2005)

Models:2004-2006 Buick Rainier

2002-2006 Chevrolet Trailblazer and Trailblazer EXT

2002-2006 GMC Envoy, Envoy XL and Envoy XUV

2002-2004 Oldsmobile Bravada

2005-2006 Saab 9-7x

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:

To aid in the installation of a trailer brake module, 2002-2006 mid-sized utilities are equipped with a blunt cut jumper harness.

Recommendation/Instructions:

This vehicle may be equipped with the seven-wire trailer towing harness. This harness has a seven-pin universal heavy-duty trailer connector that is attached to a bracket on the hitch platform

The seven-wire harness contains the following trailer circuits:

• Yellow: Left Stop/Turn Signal

• Dark Green: Right Stop/Turn Signal

• Brown: Running Lamps

• White: Ground

• Light Green: Back-up Lamps

• Dark Blue: Electric Brakes

• Red: Battery Feed (The chassis wiring ring terminal must be fastened to a stud on the underhood electrical center before the trailer feed will become active.)

The electric trailer brake controller jumper harness is located inside the vehicle, driver's side, above the floor close out panel. Lower the close out panel and follow SP205 toward the drivers pass through door harness. Attached to this body harness, there will be a label and 4 blunt cut wires.

Four-Wire Harness (Trailer Brake Controller)

• Black: Ground

• Orange: Fused Battery Positive Voltage

• Dark Blue: Trailer Auxiliary Supply Voltage

• Light Blue: Fused Stop lamp/CHMSL

The wiring schematics for these circuits can be found in eSI under (Body - Lighting System - Schematic and Routing Diagrams - Exterior Lights Schematics - Trailer Wiring).

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.

What kind of truck is this? or did I miss it? I take it the running lights on the truck are working?

yes..it has a factory trail circuit in the truck, and some of the fuses in the under hood box are dead. ie NO power going to them. i did power the circuit up, and they worked. but he or i didnt have the time to dig further into the issue, to get to the root cause of it

Found this peice of info, might check this out.

• Red: Battery Feed (The chassis wiring ring terminal must be fastened to a stud on the underhood electrical center before the trailer feed will become active.)

that, would be something to check..

jason, has the system on this worked before? if it has, then this shouldnt be the issue

yes..it has a factory trail circuit in the truck, and some of the fuses in the under hood box are dead. ie NO power going to them. i did power the circuit up, and they worked. but he or i didnt have the time to dig further into the issue, to get to the root cause of it

Well there you go, guess I should come back to work, j/k