car not running like it should?

pontiacfreak142

well first off, im just gonna say that maybe im wrong, maybe everything is fine, but i just want some extra opinions to be sure.

Last year, my car set its personal best of a 13.86 @ 97 mph with pretty much the same setup as now minus a tune and better CAI, along with using a 24 inch tall drag radial (as compared to the 26 inch im using now, although the car is tuned for a 26 inch tire, or at least it was 3 years ago). Shortly after that time was set, i had the car dynoed and made 196 whp and 205 Tq.

Fast forward to tonight. Its cold as hell out, i have a better intake on the car, and it has just been tuned and made like 223 whp and 230 TQ (for those that dont want to take the time to add, thats a 27 whp and 25 tq difference). The only other differences are im back to using a 26 inch tire and ive completely gutted the car (weighs right around 3000 pounds). I made a few passes tonight, the best of which being a 13.82 at just over 96 mph. Due to the a few people breaking, i didnt have much of a chance to really play with the car. The only thing i tried, was to launch the car as hard as possible, which i think was just about 3000 rpm. The car wasnt really pushing or anything while i was stalling, but as soon as i launched, the car just spun and spun and spun.

So my question is, is it just me, or does my car just suck that bad?

looking at the dyno sheet, the car makes peek Tq at 4700 rpm and peek power at 5700 and slowly drops from there. So would messing with the car and trying to get it to hook with a 3K launch help much? any other idea's?

ive got a torsen posi out of an LS1 car. the traction problem was really only on the pass when i tried to stall it up to 3000 rpm. I do agree to a point that maybe i dont do a great burn out and im sure that my drag radials being at near 40 psi didnt help either lol. But the other thing that im confused about is that, ive always been told that your mph is a sign of how much power the car makes. But yet i gained a decent amount of power between my intake and tune, but i actually traped lower last night. is it possible that im seeing some knock retard possibly?

You need to find some way of checking timing while making a pass, to see if anything is wrong there. There are multiple scan tools that can look at timing and knock, it doesn't have to be HP Tuners, hell we can see if my intercepter gauge will work in your car if you want. Also when it's spinning is it spinning both tires? I had problems with the torsen diff that came in my car after I wore it out, but I was making more power then you obviously. Although you've had that in there for a while and maybe that's causing you some traction issues. What does the car 60' ?

what was your 60' on your best pass ever ? and what was your 60' times of your passes last night ?

I'm going to bet that if he was spinning and spinning, his 60' last night wasn't very good. Someone needs to hold a class on the factors that go into making a pass at the track. Anyone?

scott, if you dont mind, maybe we will do that. The car didnt show any knock on the dyno, but it sure isnt running like it picked up any power either. my best 60 ever is a 1.900 and my best last night was 1.911 and that was leaving at just above idle. But yea the pass i launched it at 3000 it spun to a 2.6. And yes, at least while i was doing my burnouts it was spinning both tires.

How do your 1/8 mile et's and mph compare? I will be glad to scan your car.

I would be curious to see what the car runs with the shorter tire.

well i havent been able to find the 13.86 time slip, but comparing it to a couple 13.9x passes, they were about the same. Trap speeds were all 77.xx. Any idea when your gonna be at the shop next? Im hoping maybe it is just something small im missing, but knowing my luck, this car is just a POS because it seems like no matter what i do to it, nothing seems to help.

get the tires hot, lower the air pressure, and what suspension upgrades do you have done to the rear?

yea thats my plan. It just has lower control arms. brian, as far as i know, the tires dont seem to make much of a difference from what i can tell. I need to get out and really try to launch the car with both sets to get a better idea.

heres some time slips for comparison.

old pass: this isnt my 86 pass, i cant find the slip, but close enough. the mph on the 86 pass just above 97 mph though.

60'- 1.93

330'-5.63

1/8-8.801 @ 76.97

1000'-11.562

1/4-13.89 @ 96.63 mph

new slip: after weight loss (aprox. 60-70 pounds) and tune.

60'-1.911

330'-5.60

1/8-8.742 @ 77.72

1000'-11.487

1/4-13.82 @ 96.29

yea thats my plan. It just has lower control arms. brian, as far as i know, the tires dont seem to make much of a difference from what i can tell. I need to get out and really try to launch the car with both sets to get a better idea.

just make sure you lower the tire pressures in the rear, when I run drag radials at the track i'm running 16-19psi in the rear

just make sure you lower the tire pressures in the rear, when I run drag radials at the track i'm running 16-19psi in the rear

yea liek 4 years ago :jerkit:

get that pressure down i run about 12-15 in my car an it dead hooks. soo good the clutch wouldnt hold at track day lol dam