Anyone ever try geocaching

justinwebb

So i got the app for geocaching and its a blast so far to do in your spare time. People basically hide things places and leave clues on how to find it and give you coordinates and you look for it and usually it has paper and you just sign your name and put it back. Its like a huge game of hide and seek lol

http://www.geocaching.com/

I spent all last week geocaching with my dad in canada. My dad is into it big time. He has several caches hidden all around. I can send you some picks of last weeks adventures. We were suppose to go to one where the owner had over $400 worth of stuff in it but it was raining bad and you needed a boat to get to it. We didnt want to take the boat out in it.

Yeah I'm into it a bit. "extheflow" on geocaching.com. my brother in law has some killer terrain caches in central ohio if you're up for a challenge, just try not to die in the process.

search for caches placed by "drainhook"

Yeah I have done it before and found a few. I got tired of my app on my blackberry not being as accurate as it should so I gave up. Can't justify buying a handheld GPS unit.

Yeah phone gps units suck if you're trying to find anything thats not in a parking lot. If you're gonna do anything in the woods you're gonna want a real GPSr. I've been getting by just fine with a 70$ eTrex H though.

Yeah phone gps units suck if you're trying to find anything thats not in a parking lot. If you're gonna do anything in the woods you're gonna want a real GPSr. I've been getting by just fine with a 70$ eTrex H though.

Wrong. clbsinvaders and I both use phone GPS units. He has an HTC Ozone with some Geocaching app, and I have an iPhone with the official Geocaching.com app.

When we were younger though, we used an old Etrex GPS.

Yeah I'm into it a bit. "extheflow" on geocaching.com. my brother in law has some killer terrain caches in central ohio if you're up for a challenge, just try not to die in the process.

search for caches placed by "drainhook"

I was reading some of his last night...look quite interesting and challenging.

Wrong. clbsinvaders and I both use phone GPS units. He has an HTC Ozone with some Geocaching app, and I have an iPhone with the official Geocaching.com app.

When we were younger though, we used an old Etrex GPS.

Still got the Etrex. The ozone works pretty well. Paperless caching makes things ten times easier.

In fact, I found 3 or so this evening. Gets you places that you'd never know were there otherwise.

I was reading some of his last night...look quite interesting and challenging.

Still got the Etrex. The ozone works pretty well. Paperless caching makes things ten times easier.

In fact, I found 3 or so this evening. Gets you places that you'd never know were there otherwise.

A large percentage can be found with a phone thats for sure,alot of the times you just need to get close and you'll see the traditional hollow tree or whatever.

Then there's when you're looking for a camoflaged pill bottle 70' up in a tree under a thick canopy and it's only 1 stage of 7. I'de rather have the 12' accuracy that my handheld gives me than the 56' or worse accuracy my iPhone gives me. Still I won't leave home without it just for the paperless caching capability.

I've always wanted to do this but do not have a gps. Other than for this :D, I've never had the need for one and I travel all over. Not to say I wouldn't mind one, (and if I had it, I would definitely do this), but I still haven't been able to justify the price.

I've thought about looking into it for my PSP, but haven't gotten around to it. Anyone with experience with that?

Yeah there used to be one in my work's parking lot but it was removed. There is one over by tuttle mall parking lot. Those are super easy all you need is google maps satellite to find them. My problem with my blackberry application is I have to walk for it to find my position. If I am standing still it gives weird readings all over the place. It does have an arrow that points to the location I enter but it doesn't help when it points in all directions...

I tried some harder caches but with random readings it was very difficult and I gave up.

I would be up to doing a CR cache find if it was on the weekend.