IPV6 - anyone?

Akula

English for the rest of us??

Isn't this related to IP addies and their exhaustion in the coming years.

supposidly. i remember learning about this in the Microsoft IT Academy. we briefly hit on it because its not really wide spread. ipv6 is 128 bit rather than 32 bit. it allows for more address within a domain IIRC.

Basically:

The internet is kinda like a giant phone book, with each computer connected to it having it's own "phone number" AKA IP address. There are servers that correlate your name request (http://www.colmbusracing.com) to it's IP address (65.118.247.22). So, clearly, you gotta have a lot of addresses and most computers and devices on the internet cannot share an address - they must be unique just like a phone book.

The internet is widely estimated to run out of IPv4 (I.P. version four) addresses some time between 2010 and 2012 with the end-game being March 2012. IPv4 is 32 bit which allows 4,294,967,296 (2 to the 32nd power) possible addresses, IPv6 is 128 bit allowing 2 to the 128th power, or a giant flying fuckload more than IPv4.

Most business and home networks as you know them will not change, and you won't need any updates or other crazy hoobajoob to the average computer - at least not for a while. IPv6 will impact the big companies that bring you the internet such as ATT, Time Warner, etc. first and most because these are the guys taking up internet address space. You see, with your home DSL connection even though you have eight computers, you're only taking up one internet IP address - that's what the router thing does for you. Eventually you'll get an IPv6 address, but you probably won't notice or be impacted at all because new DSL/cable modems will be shipping with IPv6 support and they'll gradually phase it in.

That about cover it?

Anyone out there using IPV6 in earnest? Just trying to judge the uptake by some local enterprises.

We use it for our core as people have mentioned below but we are also cutting over to it for the CM network. Basicly the Cable modems themselves will be using IPV6. We tired of working with XYZ Division and our 10space overlaps.

I used to have a ipv6 tunnel to my house but I used to only for IRC.

We use it for our core as people have mentioned below but we are also cutting over to it for the CM network. Basicly the Cable modems themselves will be using IPV6. We tired of working with XYZ Division and our 10space overlaps.

You don't know how bad I would love to work on that infrastructure and learn me some IPv6. Making two servers talk to each other on my desk is nothing compared to what you're doing. /envy

By the way, where the fuck is Thorne, I thought he'd be all over this like sugar on donuts.

I'm slow tonight. My wife just got home I'm being MAID :).

Me personally can't wait to have 32000 ips for my house......

:)

You don't know how bad I would love to work on that infrastructure and learn me some IPv6. Making two servers talk to each other on my desk is nothing compared to what you're doing. /envy

I don't get to play with it much :(. I can't wait till the systems side start rolling out.

I have enabled it on customer environments, its nice because it does away with DHCP. Your machine wakes up and sends out an ICMP message asking for the auto-configure network. Then it takes its own mac and makes an IP address. It only uses that address to communicate globally, it has a local address as well. Also, it builds a 24 hour security address if needed. It does some very interesting stuff and is so much better than IPV4.

The problem is using things like PING is a PITA, 128 bit addresses are crazy big.

I am looking to get a job with a company that is using IPV6 for communication because they are putting millions of devices out there. I have some experience with it, have deployed it and written courses on it, but the uptake seems really slow. Its funny, the answer is out there, not one is using it.

I am looking to get a job with a company that is using IPV6 for communication because they are putting millions of devices out there. I have some experience with it, have deployed it and written courses on it, but the uptake seems really slow. Its funny, the answer is out there, not one is using it.

The uptake is painfully slow. You know most organizations will be dragged kicking and screaming into it. When you have extremely large companies still running COBOL apps and token ring, it's going to be a *miserable* D-day transition for so many.

Good luck with the job. Gotta keep us updated, IPv6 is the future whether people like it or not. I'd love to do real work with it.