99 Nissan Altima front end noise question

BrianZ06

I have a 99 altima that is in great shape and runs like new. The milage is 200,000 + and it does not burn or leak a drop of anything. It has a noise in the front end coming from around the wheel area. It sounds like a wheel bearing . If you apply the brakes it still makes the noise. I got the front end raised up and tried to rotate the wheel to see if I could make the noise with no luck the wheel does not turn/spin fast enough to make the sound I guess. The wheel does not have any play in it when you do the side to side and top top test. The steering has no play in it and it will drive a straight line down the road like a new car. Does this sound like a wheel bearing and how can you tell for sure or not ? I have replaced wheel bearings before in older rear wheel drive cars but front wheel drive in a little new to me. Thanks in advance for your comments.

makes sense although i still think he would be to pick up a difference between the too sides if he listened to both sides with the amplication of the instrument if there was indeed a problem while having an assitant rotate the wheel and comparing the sounds between the two sides.

not that it really matters because its fair to assume that after proforming a brake inspection that with the mileage on the car a wheel bearing could certainly malfunction.

Guest Removed
makes sense although i still think he would be to pick up a difference between the too sides if he listened to both sides with the amplication of the instrument if there was indeed a problem while having an assitant rotate the wheel and comparing the sounds between the two sides.

not that it really matters because its fair to assume that after proforming a brake inspection that with the mileage on the car a wheel bearing could certainly malfunction.

could also be a diff bearing aswell. youd get the same noise as a wheel bearing

Well after talking to Rob today we decided it might not be a bearing because the noise was not there today. He said it sounded more like a brake problem even though my brakes on this car are not that old. I checked the fronts and they looked good,then I got the back in the air and the rear drivers side turned freely but the pass was very hard to spin. I then looked at the pads and the pass were worn twice as much telling me that this problem has been like this for a while. It ended up being a froze up caliper piston stuck out to where it was putting constant pressure on the pads/rotor not good. So Im replacing both rear calipers/pads.I guess thats better then bad bearings which I was going to let Rob do that job.His price was very fair. I just want to say thanks to Rob not many mechanics will chat with you on the phone much about your car problems.

Guest Removed

you need a hook up on some loaded calipers for that let me know..

i can check on them monday for you...you would be surprised how cheap my loaded pairs are..

and no problem man...like i said...double check them brakes..lol