STi is done :)

oh8sti

Al from Dynoflash always seems to be blowing engines. I'm amazed he gets work still. Then again, people are still posting on IWSTI asking about FP turbos.. People just don't research.

As for the stock engine, it's strong enough. You can get close to 400awhp pretty reliably. if the tune was crap, you can't blame the engine. And if you still had the stock pistons, then Al should have been even more careful since there were a few bad batches.

Bottom line is, the STI is a great car. It's very reliable, the transmission is bulletproof, and it handles great. The only weak point is that the engine needs to be modded *correctly.* Careless modding/tuning is the quickest way to kill a Subaru engine.

You do get some splatter from the FAIL-pie for having Al do the tune, however.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wait.. you have a $50,000 Subaru... with nothing but a built bottom end? You fuckin serious?

in a round about way, yes. The car was $42,xxx out the door, the basic bolt ons were probly $4,000. The motor was about $4,400.

Do you seriously have a $15,000 trans am?

Just a few pennies of thought here.

1. My stock bottom end WRX ran for something like 50k miles with a bigger turbo on it pushing 23 psi before I sold it. 2 members on here have owned it since me, and they report no problems as of yet.

2. Said WRX ran a 12.9 at Norwalk on an off the shelf map for the AccessPort. I never had it dyno'd (because I'm not into comparing dick sizes) but I think a reasonable assumption would be between 300 and 350 whp.

3. The price of my car was 24k brand new. The cost to get it to where it was when I sold it was $4500 (including wheels, tires, and coilovers). Not sure what your STI was running at the time of its unfortunate demise, but another reasonable assumption would be that it cost more than 30 to get there.

4. Numerous members on this site, including the above listed Mean Brian, rode in my car and commented that they were very impressed. I submit that their assertions that "Subaru's suck" should be taken with a lime tinged grain of salt.

5. That being said, if you have paid 40+k to go slower than I did, more than likely the flames are deserved.

6. Additionally, you may in the future consider waiting until a project is done before announcing to the world that said project is done. Drivable condition =! Done.

For some reason , I thought you drove a crazy built sti with big numbers and fast times. I don't know what I thought that but just did. 4,400 is alot of money on a built bottom end no matter how you look at it. Did you have aluminum rod set up? was it complete for all the parts head work, and machine work?

1. My stock bottom end WRX ran for something like 50k miles with a bigger turbo on it pushing 23 psi before I sold it. 2 members on here have owned it since me, and they report no problems as of yet.

2. Said WRX ran a 12.9 at Norwalk on an off the shelf map for the AccessPort. I never had it dyno'd (because I'm not into comparing dick sizes) but I think a reasonable assumption would be between 300 and 350 whp.

3. The price of my car was 24k brand new. The cost to get it to where it was when I sold it was $4500 (including wheels, tires, and coilovers). Not sure what your STI was running at the time of its unfortunate demise, but another reasonable assumption would be that it cost more than 30 to get there.

4. Numerous members on this site, including the above listed Mean Brian, rode in my car and commented that they were very impressed. I submit that their assertions that "Subaru's suck" should be taken with a lime tinged grain of salt.

5. That being said, if you have paid 40+k to go slower than I did, more than likely the flames are deserved.

6. Additionally, you may in the future consider waiting until a project is done before announcing to the world that said project is done. Drivable condition =! Done.

For a brand new fully loaded STi with nav and all the works it was 42k and some of change out the door (tax, title, ect.), i dont have a WRX this is where you are getting confused. if it were a WRX it would have been sub 30k. The NEW STi can get into the 40k region easily. So no, i didnt pay for a slower car. My car ran 12.80's on a blown clutch at national trails.

To answer the questions of the motor is its mostly all new parts (even stock ones). It has all new manly rods, CP 100mm pistons, ACL race bearings, and a ACT 6 puck. With all the machine work and build time and such, it can get to 4k+ easy. The turbo to take advantage of the bullet proof block will be going in the winter. (goin for 550awhp+ on race gas)

By the way, the hatch looks like it fell out the ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down. After 05 all Subaru has done to them, has ruined the car. I would not buy another one unless they make an STI Legacy. Hatch looks gay IMO.

:confused: I like my 5 door. No STi, but then it was less than $24k OTD and while not fast compared to many here, she's certainly no slouch.

http://www.pbase.com/timothylauro/image/110434931/medium.jpg

:confused: I like my 5 door. No STi, but then it was less than $24k OTD and while not fast compared to many here, she's certainly no slouch.

http://www.pbase.com/timothylauro/image/110434931/medium.jpg

Stock 'Speed3 vs. Stock STi from a roll (in Mexico of course) neither car is really losing each other.

Terrible quality video, but you get the point.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRQkXHe2Xsk

Stock 'Speed3 vs. Stock STi from a roll (in Mexico of course) neither car is really losing each other.

Terrible quality video, but you get the point.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRQkXHe2Xsk

I know. I ran my buddy at Byers in a 08-09 style from 40 to 120mph and we were darn close. He pulled upon each shift only because I have to shift at 5,800rpm to avoid the flat-spot, whereas he can pull to red-line.

At the end we were within a couple lengths. However, on the average commute around town, it's not like an STi is going to rape me except from a dig. Thus why I'm pretty happy with what I have. Especially given the cost of her.

I know. I ran my buddy at Byers in a 08-09 style from 40 to 120mph and we were darn close. He pulled upon each shift only because I have to shift at 5,800rpm to avoid the flat-spot, whereas he can pull to red-line.

At the end we were within a couple lengths. However, on the average commute around town, it's not like an STi is going to rape me except from a dig. Thus why I'm pretty happy with what I have. Especially given the cost of her.

Well, if you ever do decide to mod the Speed a little more aggressively, invest in a WOTbox. Launch control + Flatfoot shifting = win in boosted cars for <$200.

=============== It was damn fun. One of the reasons I bought a WRX was riding in his.

================ 12.9 would be between 280-300 dyno jet hp

================ LOL

==== Yes it does :)

blah.

gt35r+ Good tune run 11's all day long

By the way, the hatch looks like it fell out the ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down. After 05 all Subaru has done to them, has ruined the car. I would not buy another one unless they make an STI Legacy. Hatch looks gay IMO.

I would rock a coupe

Again funny, 70k for me and pro-tuned by a real tuner, stock engine, no issues. Car was tuned at 17k. Oh and my STI in aug 04 was 31k out the door. And my mods were $1500 with dyno time and paying for the tune.

I had a real tuner tune my car, i assure you that he was a real person with real knowledge of tuning and real hands and a real computer. Im also certain i paid with with real money and the car was put on a real dyno. Are you mental? Of course he was a real tuner. Do a quick google search and you will find that the ringlands in the STi have been poop since 06. Subaru has been trying to say its the tune, but even when that is changed to something safer and more rich it still goes boom (like my car). Once again you must not have know about the price increase for the base STi for 08 and newer, i think it was in the range of 33k, but fully loaded with all the bells and wistles it could reach low 40's. I paid the price to have the first one this side of the mississippi for months. I have the money, i didnt mind. If i didnt have money than i would not have. See how that works Ben?

lol shit son, my exhaust cost as much as your dyno tune. You gotta have money to play, if you dont, then shut up and dont bitch to the people that do for spending it the way they want to. You seem to pop in alot of these threads with the same old shit, always complaing to the people for spending too much money on this, or on that. Lets us with the money spend it the way we want to and if i want to ask you what i should do, i will PM you.

Thanks, but like 99% of this forum your opinion means nothing. You are among the 1% on here that if you were to see my car, still think it looks bad. I didnt buy it to look cool. If i were to buy a car for that purpose i would never have bought a subaru.