ONSTAR used to stop car chase.

thorne

They call this a feature in their commercials..

I guess car thieves don't buy new cars anyways...Although if I had a car with onstar it would be the first step of weight reduction.

how would you manage that, im sure that on star is wired into everything. i mean if you read the article they said they disable the gas peddle. if you wanted to try to remove it all the power to you.

how would you manage that, im sure that on star is wired into everything. i mean if you read the article they said they disable the gas peddle. if you wanted to try to remove it all the power to you.

The onstar computer itself weighs a few pounds. I know a few people that removed them without any problems. The older models with them are fairly easy to remove although the newer setups could be more difficult.

I always thought there is good and bad from this... obviously if someone stelas your car there is a good you can cut it off etc and stop them...

But as soon as they realsed the comercial with onstar contacting you because they see you ahve been in a carash??? I thought well how many people are in a accident and dont report it etc etc... Now they will know everytime you get in a decent fender bender and im sure your insurance will know to :)

Id rather not have a tracking device on my car.

Bingo!

A guy I know is really paranoid about the Government and spays and conspiracies ect. When I told him I had on start he freaked out. "Man they can track you and record all your patterns; if you speed they'll know it then set up a speed trap based on your driving habits and nail you bro!"

Well, I’m not THAT worried about it I figured if the government spys want ME then my onstart is not going to be the only thing they can track. But when I was looking for weight reduction Onstar was one of the first things to go.

Guest tbutera2112
I always thought there is good and bad from this... obviously if someone stelas your car there is a good you can cut it off etc and stop them...

But as soon as they realsed the comercial with onstar contacting you because they see you ahve been in a carash??? I thought well how many people are in a accident and dont report it etc etc... Now they will know everytime you get in a decent fender bender and im sure your insurance will know to :)

it only triggers if the air bags are set off.....ive not been in any "decent fender benders" where the airbags deployed

hell ive been t-boned and not had my airbags deploy

A guy I know is really paranoid about the Government and spays and conspiracies ect. When I told him I had on start he freaked out. "Man they can track you and record all your patterns; if you speed they'll know it then set up a speed trap based on your driving habits and nail you bro!"

Well, I’m not THAT worried about it I figured if the government spys want ME then my onstart is not going to be the only thing they can track. But when I was looking for weight reduction Onstar was one of the first things to go.

???? :)

Guest tbutera2112
OnStar offers GMAC Insurance customers the ability to track their driving (their speeds in certain areas, where they drive, how much they drive, etc.) and figure out their insurance premium that way.

fuck that...theyd drop me

There is a much larger ordeal springing from this situation. While there is good from this there is A LOT of bad. These "black boxes" are able to record speeds at impact and hundreds of other peripherals. These devices are now being used in court to convict people. How many of you want to be held responsible by your accuser - oh by the way which will be an index card sized box with a computer chip inside.

It's another opportunity to cancel out insurance fraud and remove a little more of our individual rights, that is, while catering to our needs should we get our car stolen or get into an accident we didn't cause.

I'll continue to drive my 1980's sports car without the addition of that shit.

There is a much larger ordeal springing from this situation. While there is good from this there is A LOT of bad. These "black boxes" are able to record speeds at impact and hundreds of other peripherals. These devices are now being used in court to convict people.

these "black boxes" are the SDM in every car with an air bag. remove it you have no air bags.

these "black boxes" are the SDM in every car with an air bag. remove it you have no air bags.

I never said a thing about removing one. The older boxes like the one in my car control those things too but don't record any of the information I stated above.

Can't verify this but I have heard some people claim that they were on road courses and/or in autocross events and OnStar has called while they were driving to ask if everything was OK.

Mike

It's because with the rapid change of direction, the car thinks it's sliding and having an accident, so it contacts OnStar to report it. I remember reading that in Autoweek several years ago where they were slaloming a Malibu SS and they kept getting calls from OnStar stating the car reported an accident.

I like OnStar. I use it all the time when I get a GM press vehicle. It's nice to have a bit of human-to-human contact instead of just pushing buttons. And they will find and help you with pretty much anything. Whether they are using it illegally to follow/watch me is still be debated, but overall, it's a very cool and unique service.

So what exactly is wrong with the black box information being recorded and used in court as noted below? How is that remove our rights? What rights? The right to speed and cause and accident?

IIRC, there was a deputy killed in a crash on 270 on the east side several years ago and the driver of the white SUV was not only found to be DUI, but according to the data onboard, was traveling at a high rate of speed. IMO a beautiful thing that he was convicted by "his own actions" not by the black box.

These "black boxes" are able to record speeds at impact and hundreds of other peripherals. These devices are now being used in court to convict people. How many of you want to be held responsible by your accuser - oh by the way which will be an index card sized box with a computer chip inside.

It's another opportunity to cancel out insurance fraud and remove a little more of our individual rights, that is, while catering to our needs should we get our car stolen or get into an accident we didn't cause..

Guest tbutera2112

i got np with them knowing my speed after an accident

but fuck that tracking my speed and raising insurance BS ...i was thinking about turning my onstar on in the car, but now im thinking ill leave it off

So what exactly is wrong with the black box information being recorded and used in court as noted below? How is that remove our rights? What rights? The right to speed and cause and accident?

The right to confront your accuser. Unless we're really going to consider an object a person, then that's cool.

IIRC, there was a deputy killed in a crash on 270 on the east side several years ago and the driver of the white SUV was not only found to be DUI, but according to the data onboard, was traveling at a high rate of speed. IMO a beautiful thing that he was convicted by "his own actions" not by the black box.

How would their speed even matter at that point? They commited vehicular manslaughter because they were drunk. She could have gone ten miles an hour and caught the poor guy bending over with a fender to the dome. He's still dead she's still drunk.

My point was it's just another technology and it all has a good and bad side. I personally think the good is negated. You can decide on your own.