MY DOG IS BITING MY EAR

copperhead

Try a laser pointer.

Haha, I tried that with my two dogs. The chocolate one sniffed it, pawed it once, then looked at my hand, realized where the laser was coming from, then tilted its head and looked at me like I was the idiot.

But, just to reiterate, wear the shit out of the dog! :) And a training collar goes a long way.

Haha, I tried that with my two dogs. The chocolate one sniffed it, pawed it once, then looked at my hand, realized where the laser was coming from, then tilted its head and looked at me like I was the idiot.

But, just to reiterate, wear the shit out of the dog! :) And a training collar goes a long way.

You think the dog was smart enough to figure out that the red dot was somehow related to the pen like instrument in your hand?

Yes. It's either he recognizes the light from the tip of the pointer, and corresponds that with the laser dot, or recognizes the hand shaking and corresponds that with the laser dot. Either way, he's not fooled. And he can follow what's going on if you switch hands, or hand it off to someone else and I still move my hands to fool him.

He's very intelligent.

My dog I am sure would be able to follow the laser from one hand to another but I would be surprised in a dog could make a correllation between something in your hand and a dot moving across the ground or a surface. Especially considering dogs are color blind.

My dog can. He'll chase the dot until he's too tired to stand anymore, then when you put the pointer down, he'll go right up to the pointer and look at it, then look at me, then look at it, then look at me... begging me to use it some more. Then when i put it away in the drawer, he knows its in there and just stares at the drawer.

You think the dog was smart enough to figure out that the red dot was somehow related to the pen like instrument in your hand?

Here, I thought you were being sarcastic, but then I saw the reply to this comment by RangerTurbo and thought, well, maybe he really questions it and hasn't had a dog or cat or whatever, before. But then...

My dog I am sure would be able to follow the laser from one hand to another but I would be surprised in a dog could make a correllation between something in your hand and a dot moving across the ground or a surface. Especially considering dogs are color blind.

So, I can only believe, and I'm not being sarcastic or anything, either you have a very dumb dog or you don't interact with your dog enough. Hell, it could even be you so believe the animal is incapable, that you don't realize how intelligent they are. Let's not forget, that much like a human child, if you never teach your puppy shit or interract with it enough, it could grow up stupid, as well.

I've had many, many animals. Not including all the husbandry jobs and schooling. I've witnessed acts of animal intelligence that would blow some people's minds. And yes, I know the difference between instinct, training, and intelligence. I've immersed myself in animal related, well, everything, since I was a child and they've never stopped being able to amaze me. Especially, considering the overall mentality about animals, their ways and intelligence has changed considerably since I was young. There is much more than initially meets the eye and we're just really starting to learn that. We all still have much to learn.

Or, maybe, I've just misunderstood what it is you meant, alltogether.

Here, I thought you were being sarcastic,

I thought the same thing, but felt a real answer was better than a sarcastic one back, no internet drama that way.

My cat on the other hand, would go ape shit crazy for laser pointers, yet I find them to very intelligent animals too.

A Friend of mine has a Golden Retriever. She loves Laser Pointers.

Yes. It's either he recognizes the light from the tip of the pointer, and corresponds that with the laser dot, or recognizes the hand shaking and corresponds that with the laser dot. Either way, he's not fooled. And he can follow what's going on if you switch hands, or hand it off to someone else and I still move my hands to fool him.

He's very intelligent.

The Dog recognizes you're in control of the laser pointer but she doesn't care. Then again this Dog will play nonstop all day and all night.

my dog won't even chase the dot, she just stares at my hand as soon as I turn it on and looks at me like I'm stupid if I try to get her to chase it.

as far as the training collar, I might have to give that a shot. I would be concerned though that she would eat the collar (since if I leave a color on her while in her crate, she somehow always seems to eat it.

Has anyone tried putting a muzzle on their dog while in the crate, that way the dog can't bark.

Theres a difference between bark collars and training collars. Take the training collar off when the dog is contained and not open to being mischevious, ie. in their cage. Put it on every time they are out of the cage though so they learn the association of freedom, with restriction. This way too you can watch to make sure the dog doesn't chew it up. No need to have it on them if they are contained.

Barking though while in the cage, and keeping a bark collar on them is a different story.

I've had more dogs than I can almost remember. I've trained dogs both for hunting and driving livestock. Never, I repeat, NEVER have I had to use a training collar. A training collar is the lazy man's way. Period. I'm not trying to pick on anybody. But this is my honest opinion. Do with it what you will.

dude, I respect your opinion, but I don't give a shit if you think it's the lazy man's way... if it doesn't hurt my dog and allows her to then become a viable member of my family is the quikest amount of time then it's a good tool to use.... to me, that's like the amish not willing to use cars or tractors...

If you can train a dog from the instant they are weened, then I agree, a training collar maybe isn't necessary. But to adopt a year old dog, whose already grown into bad habits might need that extra bit of persuasion to listen. It's not hurting the animal as its not a real shock, its magnetic, and you don't set it to full power, just high enough to get their attention. And any good training collar will also emit a sound, and in time you can use just the sound to teach the dog instead of the shock and sound together. It's training through association. "I heard the sound, I better stop what I'm doing"

Different dog situations take different methods too.

I'm pretty sure my Chocolate Lab was beaten or mistreated before we got him. He was SEVERELY timid for the longest time. You so much as raised your voice, or made quick movements or play aggressive and he'd cower and hide from you. You can't correct a dog who's personality is like this. He won't learn, he'll only evade and hide and not learn a lesson. This is where the disconnect of the training collar is great. He doesn't know its you doing the correction (other than saying no along with the shock), therefore he can be taught without his own fear getting in the way of proper correction.

And it's hardly lazy. You still have to work with the dog. You don't just sit on the couch and shock him when he/she is bad.

If you can train a dog from the instant they are weened, then I agree, a training collar maybe isn't necessary. But to adopt a year old dog, whose already grown into bad habits might need that extra bit of persuasion to listen. It's not hurting the animal as its not a real shock, its magnetic, and you don't set it to full power, just high enough to get their attention. And any good training collar will also emit a sound, and in time you can use just the sound to teach the dog instead of the shock and sound together. It's training through association. "I heard the sound, I better stop what I'm doing"

Different dog situations take different methods too.

I'm pretty sure my Chocolate Lab was beaten or mistreated before we got him. He was SEVERELY timid for the longest time. You so much as raised your voice, or made quick movements or play aggressive and he'd cower and hide from you. You can't correct a dog who's personality is like this. He won't learn, he'll only evade and hide and not learn a lesson. This is where the disconnect of the training collar is great. He doesn't know its you doing the correction (other than saying no along with the shock), therefore he can be taught without his own fear getting in the way of proper correction.

And it's hardly lazy. You still have to work with the dog. You don't just sit on the couch and shock him when he/she is bad.

I'm sorry, but you are wrong. A dog can be rehabilitated without the collar. Is it easy? WIll it happen overnight? No. My gf's dog had very severe issues when she was rescued much like you described. My gf was unable to change this. I was with the proper training and she is the complete opposite now. There are people on this board who've met her that can vouch. I will say that i have had a lot of experience with different dog types, so I know that does help.

I will at least concede to this fact: You are at least trying to teach your dog properly and I guess not everyo0ne's going to have the experience or whatnot to properly train an animal without "tools". So, at this point, since some of you may be taking my comments personally, we'll agree to disagree. I wasn't trying to insult anyone. It was just my opinion.

And Josh/Smokin', not really the best analogy. ;)