so my brother in law...

Spidey2721

was talking to me about getting my cdl and doing some co-driver runs to salt lake. anyone here done any truck driving? there are no other jobs up here and it would be like 900 a week. home on weekends sounds like too. i need to get some capital stacked up to move outta this damn city in the spring.

I've been curious, as well. Due to my back, I don't want to do any loading or unloading, though. And I've heard some shady things about those schools who train you on the cheap or free and then have you work for them.

Can some of you actually speak about the experience, ie; pros and cons, how you got into it, etc? Instead of just saying, "Yeah, I do it." ;)

was talking to me about getting my cdl and doing some co-driver runs to salt lake. anyone here done any truck driving? there are no other jobs up here and it would be like 900 a week. home on weekends sounds like too. i need to get some capital stacked up to move outta this damn city in the spring.

Dude, I-80 can get boooooring, co-driver or not.

I live just south of Salt Lake, and have done the I-80 from Ohio to Utah 4 times now. It sucks balls, worse in the winter. I don't know if I could do it for a living, but then again getting paid to do it might put a whole different spin on it.

My dad is a truck driver who is an independent driver. Which company does your brother in law driver for? usually you need a least 1 year OTR experience to drive anyone's truck for a company to make money. Even for shitty company's. Even if your brother is an independent driver and owns his own truck, you have to be approved to drive for the company to be on the payroll ( You have to be hired pass all the requirements). You can't just get your CDL and hop behind the wheel and spit the money, does not work like that. I worked for him for a few years and 900 a week is shitty depending on what he pulls, they make around that a day. IF he is doing military stuff like my dad one way to the west coast depending on time of year, they can make around 10-13k after fuel for 3- 4 days of driving . Now that the economy is f-ed up is more hard to find good LTL's and or full load's

Here are the min requirements for my dads company most are very similar.

* 23 years of age

* Class A CDL with HazMat (H) or combination (X) endorsement.

* No more than two at-fault accidents and two motor vehicle violations within the previous 36 months, or no more than one at-fault accident and three motor vehicle violations during the previous 36 months. No involvement in a preventable DOT recordable accident in the past 12 months.

* Operators must have one year of verifiable over-the-road driving (including snow and ice) within the past three years or three years verifiable experience in the last 10 years, of which six months must be within the previous 48 months, with a Class A CDL using the type of equipment similar to what you will be operating at XXXXX.

* No felony convictions within the past seven years, and not more than one in your lifetime. Misdemeanors are reviewed on a case-by-case basis.

* No positive drug or alcohol test including refusals and pre-employment results.

* No suspensions of more than 30 days for moving violations in the last 36 months.

* Proficient enough in English to understand highway traffic signs and signals, respond to official inquiries, make entries on reports and records, and converse with the public.

* Provide and maintain proper levels and types of approved insurance during your lease with XXXX including:

The best bet is to get your CDL first its going to cost you around 3,000 bucks and that's on the small side. Call the company he works for and find out what requirements do you need to be a Team driver. Some company require more OTR time to be a team driver. It all is different.

I've been curious, as well. Due to my back, I don't want to do any loading or unloading, though. And I've heard some shady things about those schools who train you on the cheap or free and then have you work for them.

Can some of you actually speak about the experience, ie; pros and cons, how you got into it, etc? Instead of just saying, "Yeah, I do it." ;)

dont go to a school go to a company that trains it is free if you work for them for 1 year schools is a rip off now days.

I have a few friends that drive trucks. They are independent as well and although they are still making money they are saying they have to drive 2x's as much as the did a couple years ago just to make the same money.

very true but there is real good money out there with the right company.

I have a few friends that drive trucks. They are independent as well and although they are still making money they are saying they have to drive 2x's as much as the did a couple years ago just to make the same money.

Don't listen to him........he doesn't have any friends.:lol:

dont go to a school go to a company that trains it is free if you work for them for 1 year schools is a rip off now days.

Fuck that and drive for swift or some other shady company with bad drivers that barley make 600 a week driving your dick into the ground for .35 cents a mile . If your trying to make good money working for any company it will not be it. IF you can become independent .

jallen100 I have a few friends that drive trucks. They are independent as well and although they are still making money they are saying they have to drive 2x's as much as the did a couple years ago just to make the same money.

This is deff true I checked land star LTL and load list yesterday and within a 500 mile radius they have 200 loads, a few years back most independent drivers could not keep up with the freight. My dad said its picking up again, hopefully it does and works out for the guys trucking. You play your cards right you can make good money only running 1 single truck.