Price differences on parts...

zeitgeist57

...as a shadtree mechanic, the discrepancies boggle my mind. :)

2005 Dodge Caravan - full rack and pinion unit (w/ inner tie-rod ends where applicable)

ATSCO - 64264

AutoZone - $154.99, $115.00 core = $269.99

RockAuto.com - $197.79, $36.00 core = $233.79

A-1 Cardone - 23373

RockAuto.com - $230.99, $50.00 core = $280.99

Advance Auto - $249.99, $40.00 core = $289.99

O'Reilly Auto - $159.99, $50.00 core = $209.99

Same exact parts!:eek:

Guest tbutera2112
try looking up a reman. power steering pump for a sab...prices were between $60, and $325...ended up having to pay $175 because of backorder issues at some places

If all the prices were the same, there would be no need to have more than one retailer. Prices are set on what kind of deal the buyers are able to negotiate. Some days the negotiate well somdays they dont. When the contract is made, and manufacturing prices are up, well thats a bad time to make a deal. I would run my business like walmart. Sell it to me at my price or you will shut your doors when I find someone who will.

Guest Removed
I wish the government would just take over a major part of the automotive industry.

NO! then they would be like oil prices...

and you would be surprised, how some of those are not the same part. yes the one says a1 cardon on it, but when you get the one, it wont be in a a1 box.

• 1 month later...

I've been buying car parts and doing most of my own work for over 15 years now, and I found out yesterday that Advance Auto Parts has a price-match policy.

I went to the store I always go to, and asked them if they would match even rockauto.com prices, and they said yes. They won't match amazon.com (I'm assuming e-tailers that aren't exclusive to auto parts), and I have to bring in a print-out showing the exact same part number.

I am still aware that most of these autostore parts are remanufactured junk (in racing and hi-perf applications) but for my truck or the van...who cares? I'll take whatever the cheapest price is on a part number that all of the stores share - with a warranty - all day long, thank you! :)