98 jeep 4.0 crank no start

Skinner

OK so leave work tonight and the Jepp will not start, just cranks and cranks. when the key is in the on position I can hear the pump prime and stop. Had someone else try to start it and there was a faint elctical smell but I did not see smoke nor was I able to tell where it came from. This morning I drove around to several different places with out issue.

Any Ideas.

Edited by Skinner

crank sensor....

+Eleventy

Almost always the cause for a no-start 4.0L. I'm sure Rob has seen more than a few come in for this.

I don't know how to test it but I think on your year its on the top of the bellhousing (yes, back of the engine) on the driver's side. I have been lucky so far and haven't had one go out in either of my Cherokees. *knocking on wood*

Guest Removed

only way to test it is to check it for signal with a lap scope when it doesnt want to start.

i have had some luck with a good scan tool watching the crank signal rpm in the data stream as well.

yeah, i've seen this more then a fee times..

Yeah I know where the senosr is at and that more than likely its the issue. Only thing I need to figure out now is on how to test it. Hanyes manual says there should be no continuity (open). Thats what I'm unsure of will that mean when I hook up a omh meter to it will not read anything or should it display a number.