Uh-oh, watch out Tom Tom! (Android, iPhone peeps)

JaSSon

Google is releasing its own turn by turn navigation software for mobile devices. The price: $0. The software is available (or will be shortly) for Android devices running Android 2.0, and is in development for the iPhone. I wouldn't be surprised if it becomes available for WinMo devices also.

Links:

http://www.google.com/mobile/navigation/index.html#p=default

http://www.tuaw.com/2009/10/28/uh-oh-google-releasing-free-turn-by-turn-gps-app-for-android/

I hope it is just incorporated into the stock google map app in the next build. But I bet it will not.

Yeah TomTom is going to be selling the Dock and app together soon, they will have to do that to get rid of the car kits. Fucking $220, what were they thinking, I mean seriously $120 for the car kit? I mean I read somewhere there is only $164 in parts to make an iPhone! It must cost $10 to make the Car Kit. Fools. The car kit and app should be $99 and sold together. I mean I can buy a TomTom stand alone right now for $49.

For me, I like having the navigation up and where I can see it, without having to look down at my phone. Guess I could mount the phone on a cradle somewhere, but the screen is too small. I have Sprint Navigation on my Treo Pro work phone, with no interntions to ever use it...that's what my Garmin is for.

For me, I like having the navigation up and where I can see it, without having to look down at my phone. Guess I could mount the phone on a cradle somewhere, but the screen is too small. I have Sprint Navigation on my Treo Pro work phone, with no interntions to ever use it...that's what my Garmin is for.

My iPhone (and for that matter most Android phones) has a bigger screen than your Garmin.

My iPhone (and for that matter most Android phones) has a bigger screen than your Garmin.

I think that's a bit of a miss-statement. But I do think a ~3.5" screen is plenty, especially when it's a much more convenient piece of electronics to use and it's free to add onto your phone.

Joe just needs to have the 'best' of everything (especially if it's more expensive or bigger) and tell it to everyone on here about how he has it and it's better than what they are talking about or have.

Looks like BB doesn't carry a single GPS with less than a 4" screen.

If someone feels they need to spend money to have a separate device which does the same thing their phone could do for free, good for them for supporting the economy.... :gtfo: My big thing is I would use a turn by turn GPS device once a month, maybe less. I can't justify spending money on a second device. I've almost justified the less expensive apps ($30-$50), but still couldn't' pull the trigger. If it's free, why not?

Joe just needs to have the 'best' of everything (especially if it's more expensive or bigger) and tell it to everyone on here about how he has it and it's better than what they are talking about or have.

WTF are you talking about?? You mean the used Garmin 350 I bought a year ago that was in mint condition w/ 2 car kits for a whopping $100. Yes, best of everything.

My $100 Garmin is a hell of a lot cheaper than an I-phone (though I do want one of those as well ). :)

I sure as hell don't need to have the best of everything. I like to have the best bang for the buck, but that's about it.