Netbooks/Small laptops?

Bam

I'm looking for a small laptop, ultra portable. Basically for in class and travel.

I need to be able to use the internet, microsoft office (excel/word/powerpoint), and have a good battery life.

Would like to stay around $400 or less if possible. This is not for the house,so it doesn't have to be awesome, we've got two home computers, but I just need something for when I'm out.

any recommendations? its been a couple years since i bought a comp and i haven't bought a laptop in at least 5 years.

I bought a dell xps m1210. I don't believe they make them anymore but the xps 13 looks pretty decent.

The m1210 is pretty awesome. I have had nothing but great things to say about this computer. If you can get a refurb from the outlet store do it up.

not netbook small, but i just picked up an HP g60 at bestbuy for $499.99+ tax...320gb HD, 3gb RAM, windows 7...im happy with it.

is it like this? i only saw the 3gbram/320gb hd, which i assume is a lot, but this is $50 cheaper and i think smaller,how would you rate this in comparison?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Toshiba+-+Satellite+Laptop+with+AMD+Athlon%26%23153%3B+II+Dual-Core+Processor+-+Graphite+Gray/9553896.p?id=1218123211002&skuId=9553896

Are Netbooks worth a shit? I've been tempted to get the wife one for surfing the web and printing off pictures from her digital camera.....

Sorry for the threadjacking...

Netbooks are great if all you want to do is take notes on word. Other then that they are slower then molasses. The screen is way too small for my tastes but the battery life is great. At least 3 days my wife's goes before it needs a recharge. Also it works for her at school because it is so small it fits in her large purse.

BUT.... if you spend $50-100 more you can get a lower end normal laptop that would be faster and have dvd drive...

I honestly know nothing about netbooks, reason why I posted. But I'm mainly looking for another way to take notes while in class, as well as be able to view/change my assignments if I did something wrong and we're going over them.

As soon as I get home I'd just transfer them over to my desktop via a flash drive so that I can work on my 19" monitor and full size keyboard.

I'm just tired of taking pages upon pages of notes and not being able to locate them or keep it all straight. I think putting everything on the computer would be nice.

I honestly know nothing about netbooks, reason why I posted. But I'm mainly looking for another way to take notes while in class, as well as be able to view/change my assignments if I did something wrong and we're going over them.

As soon as I get home I'd just transfer them over to my desktop via a flash drive so that I can work on my 19" monitor and full size keyboard.

I'm just tired of taking pages upon pages of notes and not being able to locate them or keep it all straight. I think putting everything on the computer would be nice.

A netbook would perfect for that. Go to MicroCenter and look at their selection.

A netbook would perfect for that. Go to MicroCenter and look at their selection.

I really liked the idea of a netbook for browsing the web, etc. until I went to MircoCenter and played with one. They keyboard was way to small for my semi-manly hands. No way I could have taken notes on that thing. But that's for him to decide, just saying the OP really needs to go play with one before he even bothers researching models. Also, what about sketches/drawings, equations, etc. while taking notes on a computer?

I'm really thinking about getting a smart pen for work.