WTB Shotgun or other home defense and hand gun

smokin5s

honestly, open to ideas... cheaper the better but it needs to be reliable. Honestly, it might not ever get fired, (at least I hope it's not needed to be) but I want it to operate if we need to.

We're in the process of purchasing land out in the country and I want my wife and kids to be safe if I'm not home and someone decides to show up.

the side arm would be 2 fold... I would like to have it as a CCW, but also if needed in a pinch and the shotgun would just be a home defense type of weapon.

let me know what you have

ok, that came out wrong, I meant it won't be fired all the time...

Kevin, WTF are you talkinga bout the country is less safe? if you mean living out in the boonies as less safe than living in a subdivision like we were? I don't think it's less safe, but I do think it takes ALOT longer for someone to respond to a call if something does happen.

ok, that came out wrong, I meant it won't be fired all the time...

Kevin, WTF are you talkinga bout the country is less safe? if you mean living out in the boonies as less safe than living in a subdivision like we were? I don't think it's less safe, but I do think it takes ALOT longer for someone to respond to a call if something does happen.

Read it again...that was a question sir. I live out in the "boonies"

Unless your most-likely spot to fire it is in a really tight space, I think a better choice over a hand gun would be a Remington 870 12 gauge pump with a short barrel, stock (not pistol grip), loaded with 00 buck. I bought a new one at Vance's a couple of months ago for $270 after rebate. Used ones are around for much less. I would not be too hesitant to buy used, as the gun is not prone to wear out easily with normal use.

But a shotgun is no substitute for not practicing. It is perhaps easier to hit an intruder with a string of shot pellets than with a bullet, but ya still gotta aim.

I figure if I miss 'em with all seven shots, I can still beat him to death with the butt. :p

Seriously, firing at another human should be your last resort. The shuck-shuck sound of a pump shotgun alerts both you and the intruder that a life-altering event is imminent for you both.

that bird shot basically lost all it's momentum after going through an inch of drywall, and some ppl insulate interior walls, especially in a master bedroom.

i'm sticking with buck shot.

:wtf:

Why would you WANT to over penetrate into other rooms? If I couldn't see who / what I was shooting at, I would not fire ;)

KillJoy

the hand gun is just for a side arm... I've been wanting a replacement side arm since I sold my 9mm.

the Shotgun is for home defense. and I agree... I don't want the bullets going through walls and no way would I fire a gun if I didn't see who I was shooting at and my wife would be the same way.

I would use Birdshot over Buckshot in a Home Defense Shotgun. The Buckshot will over penetrate.

^^ Good advice. I have mine loaded with both. First two rounds are birdshot. The rest are 00. I figure if an intruder is still a threat after two shots are fired, he deserves what's coming next. I also know and have played out the home-invasion situation with my entire family. Wife and kids know the safe room is the walk in closet in our master bath. Wife has her handgun in there too. Thankfully, she's a crack-shot and comfy with guns too. She grew up on a farm and is the one who got me into shooting. :) The 9mm and the Moss.500 are mine and the main stay of our defense.

Like you, I don't want to rely on the authorities. Even though we live in the burbs with both Cbus and Dublin nearby, 2-3 minutes are moments I don't have to simply wait should the moment arise. Charge your cell phones on different levels too. I keep mine on the main floor and the wife keeps hers in the bedroom.

Good luck. Just remember, practice the situations of a home invasion. I'm sitting here on the first floor with the kids upstairs in the bath and wife in the master. My 9mm is within reach should a fool bust in on a Sunday evening.

^^ Good advice. I have mine loaded with both. First two rounds are birdshot. The rest are 00. I figure if an intruder is still a threat after two shots are fired, he deserves what's coming next. I also know and have played out the home-invasion situation with my entire family. Wife and kids know the safe room is the walk in closet in our master bath. Wife has her handgun in there too. Thankfully, she's a crack-shot and comfy with guns too. She grew up on a farm and is the one who got me into shooting. :) The 9mm and the Moss.500 are mine and the main stay of our defense.

Like you, I don't want to rely on the authorities. Even though we live in the burbs with both Cbus and Dublin nearby, 2-3 minutes are moments I don't have to simply wait should the moment arise. Charge your cell phones on different levels too. I keep mine on the main floor and the wife keeps hers in the bedroom.

Good luck. Just remember, practice the situations of a home invasion. I'm sitting here on the first floor with the kids upstairs in the bath and wife in the master. My 9mm is within reach should a fool bust in on a Sunday evening.

I completely agree with everything you said... I didn't think about the phones on different levels though. Our cells are our only phones so we typically keep them by our sides at all times.

what i was saying, if someone is in my doorway to my room, and takes cover on the other side of the wall, i want to be able to shoot through the wall into him, not through the wall and only have the power of a bb gun.

That's just not very intelligent.

what i was saying, if someone is in my doorway to my room, and takes cover on the other side of the wall, i want to be able to shoot through the wall into him, not through the wall and only have the power of a bb gun.

IMO, it would be highly unlikely that you're going to find an intruder to confront you with a 12 gauge in-hand that will simply duck behind a wall for cover. They are either going to shoot at you if they are armed, but more than likely they will run like hell looking over their own shoulder. Not unless your home is in an area where gun-fights in the home are common place.

I say put the video games down and think about it. Besides, if that happened and you fired a round of birdshot into the wall, I really, really doubt the bad guy will stick around to poke fun at you for using birdshot. Reality is you'll slip in fall in their crap and urine as you chase after them.

Let's just get this out of the way here, so we can get on with the rest of this thread:

Putting Birdshot in a home defense shotgun, is one of the dumbest fucking ideas in the world.

I think it comes in second to thinking you can and should shoot criminals through walls.

Birdshot is not for home defense. If you are going to shoot an intruder he/she better not be getting up afterward. If you aim well in a small room buckshot should be fine and shouldn't over penetrate.

LOL think of what would happen if police and SWAT teams breached a room with birdshot.

Birdshot is not for home defense. If you are going to shoot an intruder he/she better not be getting up afterward. If you aim well in a small room buckshot should be fine and shouldn't over penetrate.

LOL think of what would happen if police and SWAT teams breached a room with birdshot.

Our master bedroom is 18x26. I highly doubt an intruder will get up and come after me if I blast a 6" spread of number 2 birdshot at a distance of 20ft. Chances are they will be quite fucked up and no longer a threat. If they are, there's several more rounds waiting.

All the gun experts and Iraq vets on CR can pound chests all day long. Congrats to you for being crack shots and experienced in the field having little to no fear. Thanks for serving the country /that talk. Truth however, is that not everyone is you nor a member of SWAT and that in the hands of an average Joe protecting his house the chances of firing int he dark, under a home invasion with adrenaline at levels they've never seen, the likelihood of missing the target is high.

That said, if you live in the country on a 2 acre lot, then by all means enjoy your 00 Buckshot with the final two rounds of deer slugs to finish the job with no worries. Living in the burbs or an apartment however, I'm not likely going to lose a civil suite for turning a home invader into the elephant man. I am however, very likely to do time if I injure or kill a neighbor or my own son who is but a few layers of drywall away due to not being responsible and thus endangering their lives of others while attempting to guard my own.

Again, I’m sure many “experts” think that it's not enough, but it's pretty well known that in the close confines of an in-home shooting where few people will be taking shots longer than 20 feet, lead shot is lethal. Killing the intruder doesn't protect you in a law suite anyway. In Ohio you can still be sued by the victim’s family/estate. In fact that's more likely to happen than you being killed by a zombie-thug with 1-2 rounds of #2 Shot in his gut.

Don't take my comments for not understanding the effectiveness of number 1 or 00 Buck.....sure they are more effective..but not every application is the same. Just like not everyone "needs" a 450hp LSx to go fast.

Our master bedroom is 18x26. I highly doubt an intruder will get up and come after me if I blast a 6" spread of number 2 birdshot at a distance of 20ft. Chances are they will be quite fucked up and no longer a threat. If they are, there's several more rounds waiting.

All the gun experts and Iraq vets on CR can pound chests all day long. Congrats to you for being crack shots and experienced in the field having little to no fear. Thanks for serving the country /that talk. Truth however, is that not everyone is you nor a member of SWAT and that in the hands of an average Joe protecting his house the chances of firing int he dark, under a home invasion with adrenaline at levels they've never seen, the likelihood of missing the target is high.

That said, if you live in the country on a 2 acre lot, then by all means enjoy your 00 Buckshot with the final two rounds of deer slugs to finish the job with no worries. Living in the burbs or an apartment however, I'm not likely going to lose a civil suite for turning a home invader into the elephant man. I am however, very likely to do time if I injure or kill a neighbor or my own son who is but a few layers of drywall away due to not being responsible and thus endangering their lives of others while attempting to guard my own.

Again, I’m sure many “experts” think that it's not enough, but it's pretty well known that in the close confines of an in-home shooting where few people will be taking shots longer than 20 feet, lead shot is lethal. Killing the intruder doesn't protect you in a law suite anyway. In Ohio you can still be sued by the victim’s family/estate. In fact that's more likely to happen than you being killed by a zombie-thug with 1-2 rounds of #2 Shot in his gut.

Don't take my comments for not understanding the effectiveness of number 1 or 00 Buck.....sure they are more effective..but not every application is the same. Just like not everyone "needs" a 450hp LSx to go fast.

:lol: You have a lot to learn. Best of luck to you.

lol... since when?

My bad for wording it present tense...prior to the Castle Law. Thankfully we have that now. In states that don't however, you can still be sued even if you kill the intruder. However thanks to the newer law, you don't have to risk killing your family or neighbors. Again, I doubt plugging a crack-head with #2 shot from the close confines of a home is going to result in him being transformed into some raging bull that's going to come after you. Besides, I'd much rather plug him multiple times if needed than risk a 00 shot going through a wall into my kids room. He's also not going to milk you in a lawsuit should he survive.