can i get/use an iphone w/ out changing my plan?

Bam

so i get a free cell phone/plan through work, but i was thinking about getting an ipod and thought maybe i'd just get the iphone instead, and then when i no longer have a free work cell phone (next year), then activate the iphone w/ the data plan or whatever. But for the time being use it as a regular phone and have the ability to have all my music etc.

So yeah, can I buy a used iphone and just pop my sim card in? Will my texts/calls still work like normal?? What about wifi, like in a free zone or my house, will it work?

And what's the difference between the 3g and 3gs? And is the 8gb/16gb/32gb advertised just the same as like an ipod space? Or does the phone/programs take up a bunch? I want to be able to load a few thousands songs on it and pictures.

No. There is a clause in the AT&T Terms of Service that says if they detect your SIM in an iPhone, they reserve the right to switch you over to the iPhone service plan, and can do it without telling you.

The 3GS has 2 different processors and more RAM than the 3G, and is much faster. I used to say that it isn't worth going for a 3GS just yet, but after playing with one, and seeing how much faster it is than a 3G, I say go that route.

Also, what do you mean "iPod space"? Storage is storage. The apps and songs will use that space.

ok, that blows. hmmm, well maybe if i find a good deal on one i'll buy that over an ipod/itouch and just use it like that for a year.

and about the space thing i was just assuming an iphone 16gb had less free space than an ipod 16gb because i assumed the iphone had more preloaded apps and running software so it was using more space. unless the 16gb is like rated as available after all the normal crap that comes on one, i don't know.

thanks tho.

ok, that blows. hmmm, well maybe if i find a good deal on one i'll buy that over an ipod/itouch and just use it like that for a year.

and about the space thing i was just assuming an iphone 16gb had less free space than an ipod 16gb because i assumed the iphone had more preloaded apps and running software so it was using more space. unless the 16gb is like rated as available after all the normal crap that comes on one, i don't know.

thanks tho.

...they run the same OS, you know....