Home Owners: Water Meter Question

TimTaylor751647545500

Guys,

A couple months ago I received a notice from the Dept of Public Utilities requesting me to return it with a current meter reading from my inside water meter.

Fast forward to last week, I receive the following notice:

Dear Customer,

Our records indicate that the above referenced property has a water meter which is over 20 years old. The Columbus Water Division is requiring that this water metering system be replaced.

It is imperative that you contact us to schedule an appointment. Failure to respond can result in interruption of your water service.

Also, be aware that the stress of turning the underground valve could cause leakage or breakage on your service line or service line connections. If this occurs, repairs are the owner's responsibility and must be completed and inspected before water service can be restored.

My house is 22 years old. In the 8 years I've lived here, my water bill has nearly been identical every billing cycle, so I guess I don't really understand why this wouldn't be working correctly. Am I wrong to be on the skeptical side of this thinking they've realized the $105 I pay every 3 months isn't enough profit?

Anyone else get theirs replaced this year or recently?

so basically, you have to get a new meter, if you dont, they'll shut off your water, and in doing so, may cause a fuckload of damage that you will have to pay for before they turn it back on?

are they going to charge you for the new meter? i would think i'd want a new meter that will probably read more accurate than something 20+ years old...thats just me though.

water meters are required by law to be replaced after a certain amount of time...

the city will give you a new meter for free you are only responisible for the line from the curb box to your house if the valve in the curb box breaks you will need to pay a plumber to repair it. those valves don't really go bad too often I wouldn't be too worried about it.

if you don't get the meter changed out they will come out and shut off the water anyway untill you do

I excluded one of the best lines from the notice...

Failure to respond can result in interruption of your water service. If service is interrupted, we will not be able to restore service for at least 24 hours and access to your meter will be required to resume the service. There will also be a $20.00 reconnection fee charged to the account once the service is restored.

So it sounds like I'll be hanging out with Bob the water guy on Thursday hoping he doesn't fuck anything up.

lol. no shit. i doubt there would any major problems, but id be pissed if something like that happened.

just a couple months ago, my boss's wife told him there was water in the basement, something outside busted and he had like 3" of water in his basement...cost him i want to say like $700 to get it fixed. its the kind of stuff i pray i dont have to go thru