I need opinions on my second CCW Gun.

John Bruh

I currently have a 1911 that I carry and I'm looking for a second guy to carry on my leg. This gun will be a backup in the winter and fall months and the main gun in the summer time as I most likely will be wearing t-shirts and my 1911 will be noticable (I wear jeans all the time so i will conceal this on my leg).

I went to vances last night and looked at several guns and found two that i really like

1.) S&W Revolver in a .38 special. I loved that it was super light, really small to carry on my leg. Lifetime warranty.

-What i didn't like was I really wanted a .357 but the .38 was around the price i want to pay. Also it being a smaller revolver only holds 5 rounds

2.) M&P Compact .40. I actually looked at quite a few revolvers and a lot of the autos and I love the way this gun fits in my hand. I'm left handed and this gun is ambidextrous so it fit really well. I love the extra slide release and safety.

My only concern is this gun has to 100% functional all the time. So thats why i was really considering a revolver, but the columbus police carry m&p and i've heard A LOT of good things about these guns.

So the question at hand is if your in my shoes which gun would you go with and why. I dont want any other recommendations because i looked at all the guns they have last night (ruger, taurus, m&p, s&w, glocks, DE, Springfield,etc, etc, etc) and I liked the two i have listed here.

Out of those two I'd go with a small J frame revolver. Something small that you're not going to notice. Honestly I know you don't want other suggestions, but the best BUG's you can get are the Ruger LCP and LCR.

I looked at both of those guns and the lcr was a light gun but the S&W was lighter and fit better in my hand.

I looked at the lcp which its a nice gun i don't want to go smaller that a .38special and its a .380.

Trust me i looked at a lot of guns last night and i really liked the two i picked. The only thing thats hold me back on the revolver is like i said some of the time its going to be my main carry gun and the M&P has a higher capicity and a bigger punch (closer to the .357 which i would love to have)

Does any manufactor make a .357 mag auto?

I looked at the lcp which its a nice gun i don't want to go smaller that a .38special and its a .380.

Does any manufactor make a .357 mag auto?

Same exact size, hence the .38. There's a .357SIG that's made to be used in semi autos.

Same exact size, hence the .38. There's a .357SIG that's made to be used in semi autos.

I forgot i looked at one of those too. It was a springfield i believe (well it was located next to them at least). The thing about the stig is it would be harder to find ammo and they guy told me more $.

I have never shot one so i really can't judge them.

If you're only considering those guns for whatever reason, go with the revolver. I would suggest you look into the rounds a little more as it seems you don't have a ton of info on 38 vs 380 vs 357.

I've got a 642 coming to me as a BUG. Small, SNAGPROOF, reliable, and IMO, .38+P is enough for a BUG.

If you're looking for a .357 varient, try the 340PD. Same thing, but black, and in .357mag.

They both disappear in a good pocket holster.

That's my vote.

If you're only considering those guns for whatever reason, go with the revolver. I would suggest you look into the rounds a little more as it seems you don't have a ton of info on 38 vs 380 vs 357.

I know the 357 packs the biggest punch of those. the 38 is the same diameter thats why the 357 guns can shoot .38+p rounds and the 380 is the exact same diamater of the .38 just shortened cartridge so less power.

I've got a 642 coming to me as a BUG. Small, SNAGPROOF, reliable, and IMO, .38+P is enough for a BUG.

If you're looking for a .357 varient, try the 340PD. Same thing, but black, and in .357mag.

They both disappear in a good pocket holster.

That's my vote.

I was looking for a bug (no hammer) because it would be a leg gun or pocket and i don't want any snags eaither. I'm not stuck on a .357 i really want one, but i dont want to pay the price. i looked at the 340s and i think they were like 799 or 800something. and i want to keep around 400-500