My whole house humidifier isn't working...help?

Bam

Furnace is 2 years old but we reused the whole house humidifier because they said it was in good shape and worked fine.

Anyways, now its not working and the past couple mornings I've woken up all scratchy and shit, its sucks.

I'm not sure if its electrical or what, but I took the cover off and I don't see any water like it looks like there is supposed to be. Like the thing drips down over a screen which the air is pushed through and into the ductwork, but the screen is dry and no water anywhere.

So maybe its a water thing, but its just a 2ft ish hose form my cold water line to this thing, with just what looks like its supposed to drip.

Any ideas? Or should I calll a pro?

Your humidifier doesn't run unless the heat is on. The thermostat should call for humidity and tell the solenoid to open and run water over that screen. Does your thermostat have a humidity setting like ON or 50% or anything?

My T-stat is very basic.

It has these buttons:

Heat-Off-Cool

^ and v arrows for changing temp

And On-Auto for the fan.

That's it.

Now in my basement mounted next to the humidifier I have a dial that goes from Off to 45,and a little note that recommend places to set that dial depending on what the temp is outside. I have it set appropriately I feel.

My heat has been running on/off all day,its on AUTO like always, so you would assume at some point during the night/day when the heat kicks on that the Humidifier would have kicked on as well, and therefore leaving a wet residue right? Or does it evaporate that quickly?

Thanks

Ok, well I think I fixed it. Thanks for the help.

I pulled the cover off and the mesh screen was disgusting, so I went and bought a new one (pretty nice to find one local for a 1987 model, lol) and cleaned the water feed line out and it flows nice and kicks on normal. The guy at the parts store said it might have been the mesh screen because of the condition it wasn't letting the water flow through it, rather just around it, and it wasn't letting the air go through the water, so maybe that's it.

Anyways, I'll update tomorrow morning with results and how I feel.

Thanks for the help Akula and Mark!

Sucks when you call in a professional for something that is simple. All about the willingness to live with you breaking it yourself.

+1, I have yet to call in a professional for anything, and dreaded having to make the call as it wasn't something that could wait. Once inspecting the humidifier I realized it was an extremely simple unit and figured it couldn't be much, just didn't know where to start.

This is the awesome part of CR, I even had a guy on here come out to my old apartment like 3-4 years ago and check out my dryer for free,turns out it was like a $.60 part he had on his truck, but his willingness to help was just incredible. I tossed him some money for his time and everything, but I'm sure it was a LOT cheaper than a real service call would've been.

I just had a profesional HVAC guy install a new furnace and central A/C in my 110year old house. I could have done the work myself but I'm glad I didn't. He ran into some crazy shit to fix and work around. Gotta love those "no standards" way of building a house back then...

That is the first time I've ever called someone in to fix my home...

Glad you got your humidifier working.....

Oh I guess I should specify. I have had people in to do work, as in the new HVAC unit and etc, But not repair people as most things anyone with decently handy can handle most things.

My house is going on 70 years old,and I've definitely had to fix my fair share of previous owners/previous work screwups!