router help

flippy1974

i bought a linksys 160n alittle over a year ago and didnt put a password in just a user name because i live in the country and didnt figure id need it . well now i got 1 of my neighbors geting on it and i have sat internet and i have a bandwith usage and there putting me over it so i tried to go back and lock it and i cant the computer crashed and the hard drive had to be replaced so i had to reinstalled the software . well now i cant get back in to lock it but if connect with a wireless device it still shows my user name i put in . so how do i get this fixed to lock it ? linksys wants to charge me to fix it . and tomorrow im going over and tell the niebors the owe me money for the extra bandwith i payed for .

You can do a hard reset on the router. Should be a button on it somewhere and that will reset it to the default password that you can look up on the net.

You should be able to access the router by typing in 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1 in your browser and then proceed to set it up with a key. Or just use the original router CD to set it up again.

You can do a hard reset on the router. Should be a button on it somewhere and that will reset it to the default password that you can look up on the net.

You should be able to access the router by typing in 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1 in your browser and then proceed to set it up with a key. Or just use the original router CD to set it up again.

i finally got on the 2cnd ip adress and it worked ty .

Its quite simple really.

Reset it to factory defaults, if you cant figure out how to do it you can look up the owners manual info on their website under support.

http://www.linksysbycisco.com/US/en/products/WRT160N <- there ya go

http://downloads.linksysbycisco.com/downloads/WRT160N_ug.pdf <- link directly to user manual

PLUG IN (as in cable not wireless) the laptop (or use a desktop pc) and go back into the router settings using the common 192.168.1.1 IP address typed in internet explorer address bar at the top. When prompted for user name and password... leave the username field empty and type in "admin" for password without quotes.

Now youll be able to setup the wireless settings. Just look for the wireless tab somewhere there and make SURE you set security this time. Even a simple "WEP" (youll see this option dont worry) key will do. Make it youre 10 digit cell number or another 10 digit number youll remember.

Read my post above yours..............

that worked i changed my key to a easy thing and it works . i couldnt get it to do it on the 192.168.1.1 IP but did on the program that i had installed on my computer and i think im go to go now . thanks guys for all the help .