Need some help!!

03Scubaru

Ok so I bought a car from a guy in Massachusetts and everything goes ok. Get the title and notice that there is some information wrong so I send the title back to him to have it fixed at is BMV. This was a month and a half ago. Now this guy hasn't contacted me since November 8th and he turned his cell phone off. I have his name and some other info

Christopher Sean Haftmann

86 Garden St.

West Springfield, Ma 01089

I talked to the BMV today and he hasn't even sent it in to have it fixed like he said. This scammer needs to die. I know I am kinda dumb for not getting the title with the car but we went through his Credit Union and my Credit Union to complete the transaction.

Wait, did you take out a loan on this car? You mention yours/his credit unions, as if you took out a loan to pay off his loan when buying it? If so, shouldn't your credit union have covered yours/their asses and be responsible for locating/collecting the title?

His credit union would not send it directly to my credit union. They said something about state law and they had to send it to the owner.

Last time I sold a car with a lien they had to send it to me after it was paid off. That ended up taking a week. I wasn't a dick about it though and I gave the title to the buyer.

Last time I sold a car with a lien they had to send it to me after it was paid off. That ended up taking a week. I wasn't a dick about it though and I gave the title to the buyer.

While this may be true, I'm surprised his credit union (OP's) gave him a check w/out collateral. I mean if its a personal loan that's one thing, but every time I've bought a car from a personal owner and used my credit union for a loan they required the title up front, or that they sent the check to the lien holder and the lien holder sent them a clear title.

GL OP. Too many shady people out there nowadays.

I would contact your credit union and possibly get them involved. They may be able to help.

As for having to send the title to the customer that is not true at all. A letter of guarantee should have been issued by your bank stating that after xxxx amount of dollars was paid the title would be mailed to the new owner or new lien holder.

I need to finish the story. We got the title, when it came to us it said 173,xxx miles on it not 73,xxx miles on it like it should. We then sent the title back to be fixed since his credit union accidentally checked the rollover box on the back of the title, instead of just leaving the field blank after signing the title over to him and stating the mileage. He sent the title in supposedly to the RMV and they denied the claim and stated that since he was not the previous owner he couldn't file for the change. This is what a friend of his told me today. He finally responded and said the title is back in Ohio but not corrected. So now I am left with a title that says 173,xxx with a car that reads 100 thousand miles lower.

How was he not the previous owner if you bought the car from him? Did you verify who he was?

Dude you better lawyer up quick, otherwise you just bought a pile of scrap metal. Better plan on keeping that thing forever.

it is an 05 EVO RS, I have the title it just says 173,326 and the RMV is refusing to change it now. Even though when he registered the car they put 73,326 on the registration form. I am at a loss.

Contact someone higher up in the bmv or rmv whatever they want to call it. If they made a clerical error. The title that was brought into to the BMV should still be on file. They can correct it. I am a title clerk this kind of stuff happens. I am 1000000% percent positive if "THEY" made a mistake they can fix it. If the PREVIOUS OWNER made a mistake and wrote down wrong mileage you might be fucked.

While this may be true, I'm surprised his credit union (OP's) gave him a check w/out collateral. I mean if its a personal loan that's one thing, but every time I've bought a car from a personal owner and used my credit union for a loan they required the title up front, or that they sent the check to the lien holder and the lien holder sent them a clear title.

GL OP. Too many shady people out there nowadays.

Cash in full was used as payment to pay off my lien.