Engine Swap Ideas?

hpfiend

Hey all-

Considering a project for my wife to drive daily to replace her RSX-S once done- she wants something 4 door to make hauling our son around easier in his carseat and that looks good and I want something fast.

So...

I have been looking at E34 bmw 5 series and LSX and ford sbc swaps which are rare and the ones detailed seem pretty involved. Then it occured to me if the engine coming out is a straight six (525), why not swap a ford 2.3T inline four or maybe that eighties toyota supra straight six turbo engine- the body before the one that the fast and the furious made so expensive?

Anyone? Any other sharp looking 4 door sedans to suggest? I like the Lincoln LS but she thinks it is an old persons' car.

Thanks,

Andrew

e34 sedan/M5 e34/M3 sedan or finally e34 + TCD turbocharger

hell, depending on what you spend e39 M5s are getting cheap as well, and great right out of the box. Ive seen 1JZ swaps as well as LSX swaps, but usually those are going into e30s and e30 M3s. Im building an e30 s50 right now.

Someone just posted a link to an S4 avant. Wont need an engine swap, just some k04's or even gt28s if you want crazy fast.

Beating 996 Turbos in a station wagon should be a good feeling.

Fits everything you described perfectly, except for the engine swap part.

So hot...

http://image.eurotuner.com/f/11061111/eurp_0810_12_z+2001_s4_avant_and_2000_audi_s4+front_view.jpg

http://www.dubkorps.com/assets/shots/13271.jpg

Guest tbutera2112
boost

i thought both were eaton supercharged 4vs?? is the marauder not forged or something? if its just different boost levels, a pulley swap would do it instead of an engine swap, theres gotta be more to it

Thanks for the replies...

She hates the look of volvos though I like them- already tried that.

Negative on the marauder for same reason- if I couldn't sell the Lincoln LS...

The reason for the swap is to keep the price down and for increased reliability/lower maintenance costs and keep the nice chassis rigidity, handling, brakes... electronics will be replaced as they fail. Also forgot to mention it has to be cheap which rules out S4 avant, and M BMWs (though they are nice cars). What is an S50? 3 series are too small for a carseat(s)

Yeah the LSX swap I read was a 5.3 but a T56- the guy basically worked it all out but ran into troubles when he added the turbo... he only had a piece of paper clearance though on the oilpan, had to rig the rear front crossmember, used more jb weld than I am comfortable with (but I can tig), but otherwise did a sweet job.. Interesting thing is he sold it less than a year after finishing it but has kept all of his other swaps.

Turbo the SR20 that is in the Infiniti G20.

Has she declared a manufacturer that she likes? May help narrow down swap ideas?

It probably is not an "expensive" swap if you do it yourself, something many people do not do on this board.....working on their own cars. So, yes it is expensive to take it to a shop and have them do it. Doing it yourself, not so expensive, especially since he will probably get more horsepower for the money VS. buying a car that is already fast.

Thanks for the replies...

She hates the look of volvos though I like them- already tried that.

Negative on the marauder for same reason- if I couldn't sell the Lincoln LS...

The reason for the swap is to keep the price down and for increased reliability/lower maintenance costs and keep the nice chassis rigidity, handling, brakes... electronics will be replaced as they fail. Also forgot to mention it has to be cheap which rules out S4 avant, and M BMWs (though they are nice cars). What is an S50? 3 series are too small for a carseat(s)

Yeah the LSX swap I read was a 5.3 but a T56- the guy basically worked it all out but ran into troubles when he added the turbo... he only had a piece of paper clearance though on the oilpan, had to rig the rear front crossmember, used more jb weld than I am comfortable with (but I can tig), but otherwise did a sweet job.. Interesting thing is he sold it less than a year after finishing it but has kept all of his other swaps.

S50 is the motor from an M3 between 1995 and 1999. If you are looking for cheap, a swapping a motor isnt going to be the best idea, unless you buy someones already complete project. If you are on like super budget, get a clean older e30 4 sedan and swap in an M30. The power those put down is BRUTAL, and they respond well to boost (350+ hp on around 7lbs)