1982-93 S10 that handles?

zeitgeist57

I did a little light googling, but couldn't find any boxy S10's that were built to handle really well. To me, I would think the huge aftermarket and availability of these little, lightweight trucks would lead to a combination that performs really well on a roadcourse or autoX. It seems that customized S10's are all bagged lowriders with big stereos, lifted 4x4's or drag racers.

I love the GMC Typhoon/Syclone, which shows the factory recognition of the performance potential for this truck. I am envisioning a slammed (air-bag with sway bars? coilovers?), Bassett or Aero-wheeled S10 with a stripped out interior, roll cage, and a serious powertrain. Please let me know if you know of any such animal.

Seems like the rear would be the weak link. Not only is there no weight over it, but leaf springs just don't work when it comes to handling. I'm not familiar with the numbers involved, but judging by the hop I see under pickups on the road, it must be near impossible to properly damp leaf springs.

If you want to keep a live rear axle, I guess you could look into the rear frame/suspension from a first gen Camaro or other muscle car. They can be made to handle. But if you're going to be hacking the rear frame off anyways, might as well go for an independent rear like the Jaguar IRS that the Cobra and Street Rod guys use.

Seems like the rear would be the weak link. Not only is there no weight over it, but leaf springs just don't work when it comes to handling. I'm not familiar with the numbers involved, but judging by the hop I see under pickups on the road, it must be near impossible to properly damp leaf springs.

If you want to keep a live rear axle, I guess you could look into the rear frame/suspension from a first gen Camaro or other muscle car. They can be made to handle. But if you're going to be hacking the rear frame off anyways, might as well go for an independent rear like the Jaguar IRS that the Cobra and Street Rod guys use.

Damn! Beat me to it!

Seems to me you'd want to use an S-Blazer for that because of the severe front end weight bias of the pickup. I like your thought and might be interested in going that way with my '99 if I have it long enough.

*Edit*

Found One!

That's a four-link. He's only looking to go in a straight line with that thing.

I'm not familiar with the numbers involved, but judging by the hop I see under pickups on the road, it must be near impossible to properly damp leaf springs.

Slide-a-links and Cal-Tracks and other similary designed traction bars work really well on them, slapper bar are just a waist of money though, problem is that it cant really be slammed to much or it wont have clearance for them.

Not all air ride stuff is just for show, thats why Air Ride Technologies make two different set-ups for these trucks. Before i had my Camaro I was driving a nice S10 (not the shit I have now) and it would've been sweet to have the air ride 3 link rear, and their shockwaves on the front. They even sell sway bars for that set-up, but as for a serious handling truck I don't think it exists. If you just wanted a fun truck this would be the way to go.

Bell-Tech made some serious road course springs for the old Dime in the early 90s. There were plans to start a sport-truck based autocross series within the SCCA, and several of the aftermarket makers were turning out some good stuff for a while. Saleen had stuff for the boxy Ranger and the later ones, Shelby had turn-key Dakotas (not really all that sporty, but headed that way), Toyota and Nissan both had parts for racing trucks.....the stuff is out there, just gotta find it.

actually there are more s10s running low 10s, 9s, and some in the 8s on leafs.

cal track has the lock down on that. small tire s10s running 9s all day

The question was about making an S-10 go around corners. I have no doubt there are some very quick S-10s out there. Light chassis + Big engine = low ETs. And on a smooth drag strip, having a real leaf or a four-link is fine.

But when it comes to cornering, neither suspension setup is ideal and would likely hamper the truck.

Scrap the rear frame and weld in a better rear suspension and subframe. Preferably an independent rear. Most of the bed floor will have to come out, so a tonneau cover should be used; possibly a hard one for the added strength since rear weight isn't an issue. Relocate the battery to behind the cab, and pull as much weight from the front as possible (scrap the front bumper beam, etc.) Also replace the front fenders and hood with fiberglass.

More extreme modifications might include a tube-frame front clip, and relocating the radiator above the rear axle baja-style.

Scrap the rear frame and weld in a better rear suspension and subframe. Preferably an independent rear.

while i will agree that an independent rear is a better set-up for the road a solid axle seat up can handle just as good with the right set-up on a track (i.e. truck arm, 3-link, triangulated 4-link, ect.)

My 99 Sonoma is going to be built to handle, just not so srsly. I'm using AFX G-Body spindle, C5 brakes. Bell Tech lowering components and Sway bars for a 3/5 drop. In the rear I'm gonna use Caltracs for traction and a pan hard bar with more C5 brakes. It think it can only get better by using coil overs. Poly bushings through out.

while i will agree that an independent rear is a better set-up for the road a solid axle seat up can handle just as good with the right set-up on a track (i.e. truck arm, 3-link, triangulated 4-link, ect.)

It can, but there's MUCH more unsprung mass. If you're going to be rebuilding the whole rear frame to accommodate a multi-link suspension, why not slip in an IRS? Hell, most aftermarket IRS conversions come with a subframe. It'd probably be less trouble to weld that into the frame then set up all the mounting points for a multi-link.