Computer Guys - 32Bit vs 64Bit

KillJoy

What are the Major differences between the two, in the real world.

I have a friend who wants the fastest computer possible (within reason), yet still have full compatibility with Windows XP 32Bit applications.

The new PC will be Windows 7 w/ 6+GB of RAM.

KillJoy

So far... the CPU is looking to be Dual (2) Dual Core Zeon 1.8's...

KillJoy

What's he doing that needs a Xeon instruction set? If he's putting in Xeon's just because they sound cool and come in servers, he's a dummy. A Core2 Duo will vastly outperform a similar-speed-and-model Xeon on desktop apps, hands down.

64bit Win7 will run most 32bit apps without an issue. I have run a few that need a little work to run under 64bit, but nothing (so far) that 5 minutes of Google couldn't resolve.

What's he doing that needs a Xeon instruction set? If he's putting in Xeon's just because they sound cool and come in servers, he's a dummy. A Core2 Duo will vastly outperform a similar-speed-and-model Xeon on desktop apps, hands down.

Because it "costs more" and is therefor better...

:rolleyes:

KillJoy

Because it "costs more" and is therefor better...

:rolleyes:

KillJoy

LOL, that's what I thought you'd say. Well if he wants CPU's that are optimized for cache and terrible for instructions usually associated with desktop apps and use way too much energy versus a desktop CPU then he's building the right system. :lol:

LOL, that's what I thought you'd say. Well if he wants CPU's that are optimized for cache and terrible for instructions usually associated with desktop apps and use way too much energy versus a desktop CPU then he's building the right system. :lol:

She ;)

Any yes, more $ = more POWA!

KillJoy

Most of the xeon counterparts vary little from the desktop parts.

Most of the xeon counterparts vary little from the desktop parts.

Xeon's have little to no multimedia functionality and are quite poor with graphics support. Also the newest generation of Xeon and Core2 Duo are built on similar architecture, this generation varies little - but she's not looking at the current generation.