Nurburgring record shattered: 6min 48sec

Farkas

"Despite its racecar styling and tarmac-scraping ride height, the Radical is completely street legal. Somewhere. As proof, Michael Vergers drove it down from the factory in England all the way to the vaunted German circuit, and within 24 hours, he had set the new record."

What, and you think all the other cars that try to set lap times don't? :lol:

The Viper was wearing a set of Michelin Pilot Sport Cup tires, not your run of the mill street tire but far from the capabilities of a full racing slick.

To put it in perspective, a heat cycled out set of Hoosier Koni Challenge slicks, which are not an all out super aggressive tire to begin with, were worth about two seconds a lap over a fresh set of Bridgestone RE-01Rs, a pretty series street tire, on my RX7 at Nelson Ledges. This is on an 80 second lap so we're looking at a 2.5 percent gain in lap times from a crap slick to a great street tire.

Are people getting street legal and production cars mixed up?

You are comparing this motorcycle of a car to a ZR1 or a GTR with airbags, AC, power windows and locks, and passes the latest US crash tests?

The people who run the 'ring need to step up and set some rules for these "records." The ambiguity is starting to reduce the value of 'ring times. Frankly, for someone to claim the fastest production car time, it need to be homologated

by a certain number produced, and be in the EXACT trim, including tires, as it would sit on the showroom floor.

Maybe not here, but remember they're in europe so laws are different.

I thought you only needed one line of "tread", as in just a single line around the tire, for it to be considered street legal here. I had some old Kumho Victoracers that I was told were technically street legal because they had one line around them, but I'm kind of wondering if what I was told was correct or bullshit.

I thought you only needed one line of "tread"' date=' as in just a single line around the tire, for it to be considered street legal here. I had some old Kumho Victoracers that I was told were technically street legal because they had one line around them, but I'm kind of wondering if what I was told was correct or bullshit.[/quote']

Hoosier R6 and A6 are street legal but not street tires. The D.O.T. stamp on the sidewall is what makes a tire street legal, not the tread or tread type.

Yeah the R6's are street legal, useless if it's raining, but they have one groove around the tire that gives them the DOT approval. Jeremy Clarkson determined that the Radical was a useless car on the street because of it's ground clearance, sure it's street legal, but no one would want to drive one on the street.

It's a fast time for a car that anyone can go out and buy in that trim.....neat car none the less.