Anyone with modded Mazdaspeeds?

thorne

I was curious if anyone on here had a Modded Mazdaspeed or are planning on modding them?

What do you think of the car?

What year?

Mod level?

hp it made.

I got to see one friday and I was impressed with its hids and bose stereo. It sounded sexy and made over 310whp on a stock turbo. I thought it was kinda hot.

Come see mine any time. Just have a CAI but she's fun as hell and can give a good run to a stock STi.

Mine's an 08.5 GT with everything but Navi. Love the car. It's a change from the larger more sport sedans I've owned, but the fact that it handles like a little ice-skate is fun as hell. She put down 247hp to the wheels at the last dino.

If he is making over 300 on the stock turbo, he's pushing the boost to the limits. Was it a grey Speed6 by chance?

I was curious if anyone on here had a Modded Mazdaspeed or are planning on modding them?

What do you think of the car?

What year?

Mod level?

hp it made.

I got to see one friday and I was impressed with its hids and bose stereo. It sounded sexy and made over 310whp on a stock turbo. I thought it was kinda hot.

Yea you should specify which model you are talking about. There have been Mazdaspeed versions of the Protege, Miata, RX-8, 3 and the 6. Not to mention that four of those five cars all have turbos.

EDIT: should've read further, I would guess you're talking about the Speed3 since you said it was an 09.

GTI>Speed3 :bangbang:

All performance categories, Speed3>GTI

Not as easily and not without some $$

I initially had it in a pale yellow that showed up on my laptop. I just switched computers and I couldn't read it. I switched to the pales blue so everyone else could read it. hahahah

My post makes more sense now.

I service a '07 ish MS3 and I have been super impressed with the car. It is super comfortable, puts down plenty of power for a daily, and maintenance has been at a minimum other than scheduled services and tires. My only gripe as usual is that it drives the wrong wheels....

Thorne if your wanting to look at a more modded one then Tims you can give me a call, ive got a bit more done to mine then him,

I have:

2008.5 Mazdaspeed 3

ENGINE

COBB Turbo inlet pipe

Mazdaspeed 3 CAI

CPe Hydroshield

Circuit sports oil catch can

Mazda OEM Spinon conversion

Vibrand street power 3" downpipe back ehxaust with high flow cat

DRIVETRAIN

TWM shifter bushings

Sunshine customs 1.5 lbs shift knob

CPe rear motor mount

WHEELS AND TIRES

Mazdapseed stock wheels with Blizzaks

Mazda rx-8 with stock bridgestone protezena

BRAKES

STOCK

SUSPENSION AND STEERING

H&R progressive springs

SPC rear camber links

COSMETICS

Exterior

tinted rear reflectors

tinted side reflectors

Rally Armor UR mudflaps.

Interior

CPe center gauge pod

Prosport premium boost gauge

prosport oil temp

prosport oil pressure

LIGHTING

OEM HIDs

honestly the car is great, nice and perky but gas mileage isn't the greatest, they have motor mount issues, some have turbo issues, some have engine blowing issues. from the factory they are pretty maxed out. people seem to be struggling to break the 350-400 mark.

Yeah, Whats the major downside to the car?

I know we've traded PM's but from what I've seen out there, the weak points are:

MM's

Shifter Bushings

Two best upgrades. I'm yet to do both on mine only because I'm pushed on time and well.....lazy :o

Turbo Seals

Rods

The ones going boom are blowing rods. Typically under low rpm's and boost levels. I'm no expert, but I see the correlation of these having mods without getting proper tunes.

The seals are usually going on cars with Test Pipes and Down Pipes. Just simple cat-back systems don't usually produce smoke. Not sure if it's a turbo design thing or just simply that they are pushing an already maxed out system too high.

I still stand by the fact that if you up the boost and create more heat, the the stock turbo is going to go bye-bye way sooner.

Again, mild mods as make for an extremely fun and powerful daily driver. I'm getting 17-19mpgs if I putz around the burbs. Mixed driving, where I've been living for the past 6 months, I'm getting 26-28mpg regularly.

FWD = likely a strong dislike for you since you're used to AWD, but its just a matter of getting used to how she puts power down and handles.

the real issue with these cars seems to be the tuning ability(or lack there of). i've heard that the problem stems from the fuel system, that they are simply not capable of pushing a ton of power, but i don't know the details. either way, there have been 2 or 3 major buildups i've seen(fully built engines and the like) that just slowly fell apart because they couldn't find someone to fully tune the car(a lot of parameters are locked in the ECU or something).

basically, you won't be making any big power with these things, but around 350WHP seems to be relatively easy to reach.

if anyone here has one that wants a tune, you might want to call up andy at modern horsepower(they are located in or right outside of columbus). they are the only company in the world right now that tunes by bypassing the ECU altogether changing the 1's and 0's, instead of changing parameters inside the ECU. they don't need the car there either, just gotta send'em the ECU(and tranny controller if it's seperate). he's tuned many many expensive cars all over the world.

(hope that doesn't sound like an advertisement, LOL)

They are already cracked. MazdaEdit Pro and Cobb both.

http://www.40roll.com/ats/Mazdaspeed3-17psi.%20(Small)jpg

Cobb also has a product. I want to see the cobb but no one local seems to have one.

They seem like sweet little cars. After seeing one the other day I was really impressed. Then again I'm a sucker for hids ;)

and the bose .

Edited by Thorne

from what i understand, no one is capable of adjusting every parameter of the ECU, which is the problem. they can change some things, but not others.

it's been a few months since i stopped following these, so there may have been some recent developments that i've missed. correct me if so.

They seem like sweet little cars. After seeing one the other day I was really impressed. Then again I'm a sucker for hids ;)

and the bose .

Bose blows until you add a real sub. I put a simple 10" and it is amazing now :cool: You can do the stealth box 8" even and it sounds great. I just happen to own my 10" set up already.

from what i understand, no one is capable of adjusting every parameter of the ECU, which is the problem. they can change some things, but not others.

it's been a few months since i stopped following these, so there may have been some recent developments that i've missed. correct me if so.

this is true from our current experience with the regular 3, but our friend has a speed3 and it seems like they can't change everything on their car with the mazdaedit stuff, too

plust the mazdaedit stuff is really made for the european models right now and people have just started using it for the 2.3's

here's the forum for the mazdaedit software http://www.epifansoft.com/phpBB3/mazdaedit-discussion-f17.html

this is true from our current experience with the regular 3, but our friend has a speed3 and it seems like they can't change everything on their car with the mazdaedit stuff, too

plust the mazdaedit stuff is really made for the european models right now and people have just started using it for the 2.3's

here's the forum for the mazdaedit software http://www.epifansoft.com/phpBB3/mazdaedit-discussion-f17.html

I have personally used and assisted tuning(Laptop Bitch) the car you see the dyno for.

Mazdaedit does work. I've personally used it.

After using it I could easily see how someone could think it was missing vital tables. Its not the case honestly. It all comes down to the way you have to tune the car. They are not boost target based cars.

ATS has done 3 MS3s so far. Erics been working with Epifan since the release of mazda edit to tweak and fix it.

Thorne if your wanting to look at a more modded one then Tims you can give me a call, ive got a bit more done to mine then him,

I have:

2008.5 Mazdaspeed 3

ENGINE

COBB Turbo inlet pipe

Mazdaspeed 3 CAI

CPe Hydroshield

Circuit sports oil catch can

Mazda OEM Spinon conversion

Vibrand street power 3" downpipe back ehxaust with high flow cat

DRIVETRAIN

TWM shifter bushings

Sunshine customs 1.5 lbs shift knob

CPe rear motor mount

WHEELS AND TIRES

Mazdapseed stock wheels with Blizzaks

Mazda rx-8 with stock bridgestone protezena

BRAKES

STOCK

SUSPENSION AND STEERING

H&R progressive springs

SPC rear camber links

COSMETICS

Exterior

tinted rear reflectors

tinted side reflectors

Rally Armor UR mudflaps.

Interior

CPe center gauge pod

Prosport premium boost gauge

prosport oil temp

prosport oil pressure

LIGHTING

OEM HIDs

honestly the car is great, nice and perky but gas mileage isn't the greatest, they have motor mount issues, some have turbo issues, some have engine blowing issues. from the factory they are pretty maxed out. people seem to be struggling to break the 350-400 mark.

that pontiac vibe sounds fast... want to race a neon :) ?