Triplets - in-vitro fertilization

zeitgeist57

http://www.naplesnews.com/news/2009/dec/21/identical-three-joy-not-crowd-naples-couple/

I am a happily-married man with the most wonderful 18-month old daughter, who has truly reminded me of God's love and what a blessing kids are. That being said...

I have developed a problem with publicizing multiple childbirths. Yes, Octomom and Jon&Kate are extreme examples of publicity gone amok, but with the success rate of in-vitro fertilization and/or hormone therapy creating twins, triplets or more, I just don't think that it should be viewed as such a miracle anymore.

For the right set of parents, children can be a blessing to the world. These two seem to be a caring couple that will give their 3 new kids a loving home, and help them to be excellent contributors to their families and to society. However, I know that stories like this make people want to have babies for all the wrong reasons. We should stop viewing twins and triplets as something special when you can essentially order them with the right medical assistance and bank account.

/rant.

Shawn I think what he means is that while your triplets are a miracle to you, as every child should be in the eyes of their parents, it isn't necessarily newsworthy anymore. It isn't "God's miracle" that these women are having multiple children, it's a miracle of modern science, which can be duplicated at will.

It's like publicizing every successful heart transplant.

Shawn I think what he means is that while your triplets are a miracle to you, as every child should be in the eyes of their parents, it isn't necessarily newsworthy anymore. It isn't "God's miracle" that these women are having multiple children, it's a miracle of modern science, which can be duplicated at will.

with some yes, but with the lady in the article and as well as my wife. They came from just one egg. Yes the lady had help but still medicine had no part in the egg splitting. Thats what the article is about.

It is pretty neat that even though it was done invitro, one egg split into three. That seemed to be the main topic, because that almost never happens.

I do however see your point, and it's true that far too many people feel the need to be attention whores and will go to far just to be. Even if that involves raising some screwed up kids.

Thank you, Eli. 100% accurate.

I know many couples closely that have been going thru difficulties getting pregnant naturally, only to have some form of assistance be successful (hormone, artificial insemination, in-vitro fertilization). It doesn't make the blessing of having healthy children any less wonderful...if anything, the parents are MORE appreciative being able to have kids when they tried for sometimes years before getting pregnant.

With $20k, my wife could get pregnant within 3 months and there is a 90% chance that they will be twins, if not more. I just don't think of that as being newsworthy anymore.

Thank you, Eli. 100% accurate.

I know many couples closely that have been going thru difficulties getting pregnant naturally, only to have some form of assistance be successful (hormone, artificial insemination, in-vitro fertilization). It doesn't make the blessing of having healthy children any less wonderful...if anything, the parents are MORE appreciative being able to have kids when they tried for sometimes years before getting pregnant.

With $20k, my wife could get pregnant within 3 months and there is a 90% chance that they will be twins, if not more. I just don't think of that as being newsworthy anymore.

Again that I agree with but while the woman had help getting pregent the eggs split on thier own. If the article was just about a having 3 babies from 3 eggs due to invitro it would be a nul story. I say it would makes it news worthly is the rarity of identical triplets.

The article does state that the triplets are identical, which is rare. However, with more and more assisted conceptions, I'm sure that rarity will diminish over time.

with odds over 200 million to 1 its fair to say that won't happen anytime soon. lol

http://www.naplesnews.com/news/2009/dec/21/identical-three-joy-not-crowd-naples-couple/

I am a happily-married man with the most wonderful 18-month old daughter, who has truly reminded me of God's love and what a blessing kids are. That being said...

I have developed a problem with publicizing multiple childbirths. Yes, Octomom and Jon&Kate are extreme examples of publicity gone amok, but with the success rate of in-vitro fertilization and/or hormone therapy creating twins, triplets or more, I just don't think that it should be viewed as such a miracle anymore.

For the right set of parents, children can be a blessing to the world. These two seem to be a caring couple that will give their 3 new kids a loving home, and help them to be excellent contributors to their families and to society. However, I know that stories like this make people want to have babies for all the wrong reasons. We should stop viewing twins and triplets as something special when you can essentially order them with the right medical assistance and bank account.

/rant.

you may not have had much difficulty getting pregnant. for some, in vitro is an absolute miracle. some people can't imagine how hard it is on a woman who wants kids not to be able to have them--it can put a tremendous strain on a marriage. i've got twins--they pretty much saved my relationship with my wife. they will have absolutely every opportunity/advantage because i am able to provide for them.

sure, its expensive--but i want people with money/resources/knowledge to be the ones having children--not the 21 year old bum with no aspirations, who gives birth to kids who are 'born into' a life of no possibilities.

most offices WILL NOT implant more than 2-3 embryos--most will only do 2.

• Upvote 1

I'll give it a go for $10k my friend and will even spring for the bottle of wine myself :bangbang:

its a lot less than $20k. and the overall success rate is just north of 50% when you take all comers into account