Motorcycle Title Help!!

Ron Burgundy

Dude, if you work at the Sheriff's office, can they do a lien on the bike? Meaning, as long as it is not considered stolen, etc., I would think that you could do something where it is "seized" and you buy it from the Sheriff for $1.00. They should be able to do something like a Mechanics Lien on it.

Or, talk with a towing service and have them come and tow it to their shop. Let it sit for 30-60 days and pay them $50 for storage. Take the Mechanics Lien and get it transferred into your name...

Otherwise, sell it on the WERA boards with a Bill of Sale only. Problem is going to be making sure you have a solid paper trail that shows it isn't stolen. If there's any way the kid can claim it is stolen, you could get hosed... If there's no way, sell it like I said or part it out. You'd get $1000 for the frame only and probably close to $1k for the motor...

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Or, talk with a towing service and have them come and tow it to their shop. Let it sit for 30-60 days and pay them $50 for storage. Take the Mechanics Lien and get it transferred into your name...

That's a great idea, and we happen to have a tow company as a sponsor on here. Might want to give them a ring and see if there's anything they can to help.

Dude, if you work at the Sheriff's office, can they do a lien on the bike? Meaning, as long as it is not considered stolen, etc., I would think that you could do something where it is "seized" and you buy it from the Sheriff for $1.00. They should be able to do something like a Mechanics Lien on it.

Otherwise, sell it on the WERA boards with a Bill of Sale only. Problem is going to be making sure you have a solid paper trail that shows it isn't stolen. If there's any way the kid can claim it is stolen, you could get hosed... If there's no way, sell it like I said or part it out. You'd get $1000 for the frame only and probably close to $1k for the motor...

i ran the bike over L.E.A.D.S. at the office.. does not come back stolen.. i did talk to the kid in west virgina about it when i first bought it, he said he sold the bike to the guy in ohio with a bill of sale..

i ran the bike over L.E.A.D.S. at the office.. does not come back stolen.. i did talk to the kid in west virgina about it when i first bought it, he said he sold the bike to the guy in ohio with a bill of sale..

GET THAT BILL OF SALE!!!

Also, get with Casper and get in touch with the sponsoring tow company...

GET THAT BILL OF SALE!!!

Also, get with Casper and get in touch with the sponsoring tow company...

ill work on it.. the guy i bought it off of is kinda a dick to me now ever since he sold me that bike.. go figure.. ill see what i can do.. so u guys are telling me.. if i get that bill of sale.. and a towing company come tow it and hold it for a period of time.. i could pay the machinics lien and get a title into my name? im a correct here?

ill work on it.. the guy i bought it off of is kinda a dick to me now ever since he sold me that bike.. go figure.. ill see what i can do.. so u guys are telling me.. if i get that bill of sale.. and a towing company come tow it and hold it for a period of time.. i could pay the machinics lien and get a title into my name? im a correct here?

What you can do and what you can do legally are two very different thing. I'm not sure what you can do legally. That's why I agree with Lizard, contact a tow company (like our sponsor Capital City Towing) and see what they might be able to do. I honestly don't know.

Totally off topic, but the coshocton towing company (assuming there is only 1) should be a sponsor here considering all the business we give them from wrecks! :lol:

Good luck with all this man...sucks if you have to pay any more $ for this bs

Edited by EagleCock

I had the same problem as you with my Buell. I tried the title holder first who gave me the "I don't want to stand in line at the DMV, but I'll send you a bill-of-sale in your name" after I said I'd pay Mass. tax and title fees, then HD Financial who financed it originally to just cut me a new repo title, then a tow company. All were dicks and either gave me the run around or just flat told me to hit the bricks. I said the hell with it and found a perfect, clean title frame for $375 shipped. My bike was an 03 with 900 miles so parting it or selling it was out of the question. A weekend worth of work and I have a legal, basically new bike. Spend the cash and get a frame. After all the work you did it'd be a shame to toss it.

Totally off topic, but the coshocton towing company (assuming there is only 1) should be a sponsor here considering all the business we give them from wrecks! :lol:

haha shit we're cheap here we just call a friend and say dude get ur truck we had another one! ***aint that right Blake. :D

ive ran in to this problem, not with a bike, but with a car. but with the same issues. a tow company will not sign that request that title for you, unless your good freinds with them. but what you could do if you know anyone who owns some type of a automotive shop for instance, is you can take the bike to them. and have the bike sit on there lot for 90 days, or how ever long it takes for the storage bill to EXCEED the Blue book value on the bike. thats the key, it MUST have a bill, higher than what the bike is worth..

then, the shop owner, must file for the title. im 90% sure that the bike mush have came in for service, and the person who dropped it off abandoned it. thus, filing for a abandon vehicle title.

then what will happen, is the BMV will run the Vin, and contact the person, or in your case, the company, about the bike. and tell them that the bill must be paid or the shop is getting the title. im sure it will be more official haha, but something along those lines.. but i know its highly illegal. and risky. if you get caught, its Fraud. lol. and then, once the people say "im not payin that bill" im pretty sure, that the bmv will Issue the title to the shop or shop owner, after the bike is inspected, and they pay taxes on what the bill was, and im sure some fees and what not. then after he has the title, then you could pay him back, and wa la. you should have a clean title

but thats the only way that i could ever find the legal way to do it. i bought a car, and i couldnt get the title. the only other way is vin swapping, but on a bike im sure thats pretty difficult lol. but if you cant contact that crackhead mofo, then i wouldnt even bother trying to talk to the bmv, police, or any other type of authorites, they will all tell you the same thing, S.O.L. lol..

well, good luck anyways man, sucks to have this happen to you, i hope maybe you can get something figured out and maybe keep it. that would be awsome lol..

Edited by BigNate

How much is a new title worth to you? Sales tax owed on the bike from the first sale is about $450 + title $10 plus what you offer the kid with a drug problem say $40 for a total of $500.

If its worth that to you call the kids mother and tell her, you have some money for her son, then drive out and take the kid to the bmv.

There was a guy online who charges about $150, you send him the money and a bill of sale like you sold him the bike. In his state thats is all that is required to get a title as long as the bike is not stolen. He then gets a new title in his name, from his state, and signs it over to you.

I never used this guy but I found him because I needed a title for a bike. You will have to search the web for him.

Good Luck

i got screwed over the EXACT same way on at atv........I wish now i would have walked away from it i never did get a title just a cert. of origin.....ended up parting out the quad because nobody wanted it w/out the title.

you should go back and demand your money back or else you report him for tax evasion.

well i filed some paperwork at my Common Pleas Court for a clear ohio title.. it costs me $84 and all i have to do after the judge signs it is to take it up at OSP and get it inspected and show the judge that and he writes off for a clear ohio title! YYYEEAAHH!!!

very nice!!! I'd say your lucky on that deal

That's good news. I was contemplating notarizing it for you if you had someone else sign the title but I'd really hate doing it. I'm glad you got this resolved because I hate seeing people get hosed. Hopefully you learned a valuable lesson.

yes i did.. it was hell for the past 5 months messing with the damn thing, the clerk of courts said she would call me monday with the paperwork signed.