Race car to fun car?

zeitgeist57

This month's HOT ROD magazine covers a guy who bought a beat-down-n-rusty $300 1972 Chevy Monte Carlo, and made a great, street-legal replica of a NASCAR. That got me thinking...

Looking at racingjunk.com, has anyone out there had experience "converting" a former race car to a street car? This wouldn't be used as a daily driver, more for a summer cruising car, and an occasional autoX/track bitch. I'm assuming lights, indicators, wipers, rearview mirrors need to be functional. Also, if the car is old enough, you wouldn't need much in the way of an inspection from BMV to get plates???

I like the idea of taking something very light and fast, with rollcages/suspension work already done, and making it reasonably streetable. Why take a decent stock car and spend a bunch of money on race parts when someone already did $20k+ in work and is now selling it for cheap?

guy showed up with an old nascar like what AJ is talking about, but he uses it as a DE car. We saw it at Nelson Ledges, it ran in our practice session for the 24 hour race (not the lemons race) and it was bad ass.

As for making it streetable, suspension ride is up to your tastes, interior is up to your tastes, new tires, and anything else to make it street legal that isn't already on the car. If you buy an old enduro car it should already have lights and wipers, etc...

Thank you, Sean. This is what I'm talking about...http://www.racingjunk.com/category/71/Pro_Stock/post/1748393/Enduro-Xtreme-Stock-1987-Monte-Carlo-chassis.html

Why would I start out with a stock car...even at half this price...when I can buy something like this?

Guest Removed
Thank you, Sean. This is what I'm talking about...http://www.racingjunk.com/category/71/Pro_Stock/post/1748393/Enduro-Xtreme-Stock-1987-Monte-Carlo-chassis.html

Why would I start out with a stock car...even at half this price...when I can buy something like this?

you would still spend money finishing it.

Guest Removed
It's more fun and more pleasing to do your own work, rather then buy someone else's. I wish I would have kept the Lexus in my garage and done this.

you would be sitting there looking at it going now what?:p :bangbang:

you would be sitting there looking at it going now what?:p :bangbang:

It wouldn't be as far as it is now, but I would have learned much more then I have by sending it off for others to work on. I'm still kicking myself for sending it off in the first place.

I did it wrong.

I have been wanting to buy a legend, do a little engine work and make it street legal. I got to hotlap one over the summer and those little things are fucking AWESOME!

here is a converted one...

http://thekneeslider.com/archives/2006/08/07/a-street-legal-motorcycle-powered-legends-race-car/

Depending on the body style you want, perhaps searching for SCCA "ITE" cars may get some interesting prospects like:

http://www.waterfordhills.com/cms/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2200

Depending on the "spares" package you get with the car (and enduro cars very often have LOTS of spare parts) you could sell off and net the price down even more...

Also, IT (or ITE) cars will typically have all the lights you would need for the stret already in place (mostly).

The Legend car conversion is killer, but how would you license one in OH without a VIN?

That's my biggest question. If you get an old '87 Monte Carlo race car for example, you could get a VIN plate and title from a junker or CraigsList POS, and just register it that way...

The Legend car conversion is killer, but how would you license one in OH without a VIN?

That's my biggest question. If you get an old '87 Monte Carlo race car for example, you could get a VIN plate and title from a junker or CraigsList POS, and just register it that way...

I have to agree with you.... The Legend car would be a lot of fun.

As for getting it registered, in the article it said you need to get a certificate of origin and then I'm guessing that it would need to be inspected by the state and registered as a kit car.

That's what I wasn't sure about...I need to go to the BMV or title department and get some more info from them. I can pick up a chassis pretty cheap and have been thinking about ditching the Mustang for one. The only downside is the one seat. I would really like to take my girl out and about in whatever toy I have next year.

The only downside is the one seat. I would really like to take my girl out and about in whatever toy I have next year.

Do you think there's a chance in hell of adding another seat? from the video you posted it looks like a tight fit with one seat. Was it comfortable to drive? or maybe would it be comfortable without a rigid racing seat in it?

Do you think there's a chance in hell of adding another seat? from the video you posted it looks like a tight fit with one seat. Was it comfortable to drive? or maybe would it be comfortable without a rigid racing seat in it?

No I don't think that....im just stating that it might suck at times. No, it wasn't that bad at all. Im about 6' tall but pretty thin and had no problem getting in and out. They just sit very low is all. My dad drove the car as well and he is about 5' 9" and pretty "husky" lol. He is a friend of my dads and they both race at Columbus Motor Speedway. My dad helped him set the car up so we got to play around in it a little bit.

I have been wanting to buy a legend, do a little engine work and make it street legal. I got to hotlap one over the summer and those little things are fucking AWESOME!

here is a converted one...

http://thekneeslider.com/archives/2006/08/07/a-street-legal-motorcycle-powered-legends-race-car/

This is what I was trying to say above. I almost bought a legend car. For the life of me, I couldnt remember what they were called.

This is what I was trying to say above. I almost bought a legend car. For the life of me, I couldnt remember what they were called.

They are bad ass...I want one so fucking bad. People autcross, road course and even drag race them. I found a few decent vids on youtube

These ones look pimp... they look lower and to have chopped tops?lol

Here is the one I drove...the quality is really shitty (taken with phone)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVLy78ENv2Y

Jason, If you don't mind sharing.... How much was the guy wanting for his car? You was going to trade the CBR 900 wasn't you?

We were talking a partial trade, he was asking to much IMO for what I wanted to do to it anyway. He wanted $7k for a full car. But Then to modify it for street driving would have been more than I wanted to spend. I sure wish he would have went even up. I thought at the time it might have been unique, although I figured I would have gotten alot of slck for it. I didnt realize others had considered it as well.