Ceiling Texturing Recommendations Needed

Sully

I need to have some sections of the ceiling in my kitchen and breakfast nook textured. Anyone here that can do this or recommend someone who can match up the existing texturing really well? Looking to have this done within the next couple weeks.

Matching existing finishes is difficult unless you can find someone who has been doing it for awhile and can tell the techinique used right off the bat. I have done a few new ceilings but even I am not good enough to try and match an existing stamp technique. Its not hard to do yourself. If its the basic and generic star pattern, look on youtube and you can see how easy it is to do.

I tried before in a small half bath. It looks hideous. I'm not doing it again, especially in an open area that most people see when they are in the house.

I know it's going to be difficult to match, but I'm trying to find someone who has the most expertise.

I'm sorry to steal your post, but if you find someone who can do this let me know please. I currently have plain ceilings and would like to have this put on.

Thanks.

Will do. I already have 4 people coming out this week to give me estimates.

I hate that textured ceilings since painting them is a pain and I think they look horrible.

Yeah, I don't exactly care for it either, but I'm not redoing the entire house. What I have done in the bedrooms is sanded off the sharp edges and then painted. Much much easier to paint.

rumor has it that drywallers that did most of the mi/dominion homes in the 90's used to cut sections out of the circle pattern sponges so mi/dominion would know which crew did which houses...it is a huge pain to match...good luck. the guy that did mine promised it would look good, but nobody would ever be able to get it perfect. i am the only person that notices the patch at my house and it is a 4x8 sheet.

tom

Other than a popcorn ceiling, that stomp is the easiest one to match. Buy powdered drywall mud, mix it very thin, get a mud roller(just like paint roller), roll onto ceiling, and (after wetting and testing your stomp, start stomping the ceiling(everyone calls this something else). You can do an average room in minutes. Fastest way to paint a textured ceiling is with a sprayer. One of the easist parts of the stomp pictured is there is usually no knockdown required.

we tried to do this in my bedroom i remodeled this summer. stripped all the popcorn off, but once we started rolling the mud mixture on the ceiling, and i guess i still had a layer of the popcorn shit on the ceiling, and i had chunks rolling off onto my roller. it looks like shit now, but i havent had time to redo it

That is a called a stipple ceiling finish if you need to know. That is a easy finish to do but it gets very messy. Basically all you are doin is taking a round stipple brush that looks like this http://www.fauxshop.com/images/Stipple.jpg and dipping it into the spackle and hitting the ceiling with it. Not a very hard process, just gotta make sure they are all in lin with each other to make a nice looking finish. I have done it a bunch of times, like I said it is a very messy process though.

That is a called a stipple ceiling finish if you need to know. That is a easy finish to do but it gets very messy. Basically all you are doin is taking a round stipple brush that looks like this and dipping it into the spackle and hitting the ceiling with it. Not a very hard process, just gotta make sure they are all in lin with each other to make a nice looking finish. I have done it a bunch of times, like I said it is a very messy process though.

do yourself a favor and go to sherwin williams and spend the ~$19 or so (that brush above is like 14 at lowes) and get one thats already flattened out.

actually, ive got one around here somewhere if you want to come get it and use it. you just need a broom handle to screw into it

do yourself a favor and go to sherwin williams and spend the ~$19 or so (that brush above is like 14 at lowes) and get one thats already flattened out.

actually, ive got one around here somewhere if you want to come get it and use it. you just need a broom handle to screw into it

These are called shag brushes. They are the easiest to use. If the ceilings have never been done before, there could be other reasons why. Very thin drywall could have been used, spacing of wood which drywall is screwed into are just a few reasons, and could potentially result in sag if not verified prior to stippling/stomping.

Stomping a ceiling is pretty easy. Especially if you have a helping hand...your neck and shoulders can start to hurt pretty quick though. The hardest part is making sure your putting the mud on fairly even. My dad and I can bust out a house in no time with me rolling and him doing the stomp.

I didnt mean that is the brush to use, they look like those. Round only with really fine softer hairs on them.

I've gotten 2 estimates so far. I still have a couple more guys coming out this Saturday to give a couple more estimates. However, I think I already know who I'm going to use, but we'll see.

The first guy that came out said he would need 3 - 4 days to complete the project and it would cost $795. He said that he would need to take a scrap piece of drywall and practice on it for a while to get a consistency and texture that comes as close as possible to what's currently on the ceiling. I can't take that much time off work for this project, so I'm not going to use this guy for sure.

The second guy that came out said it would take about 4 hours and cost $200. He really seemed to know what he is doing. He has been doing this work for a little over 30 years and said he has a lot of brushes and could match it up really well. He said just by looking at it, he knows exactly which brush he would use to match it up. This guy can do it on a Saturday, which is awesome since I work M-F.

We'll see what the other 2 guys have to say before I make my final decision.

Well, I received the other 2 estimates on Saturday.

One guy said it would take 3 - 4 days to complete and it would cost $2,300 after my 20% Angie's List discount.

Another guy said $600 and it would take half a day or so.

I'm going to take my chances and go with the guy that said $200. I've already told him that if he does an awesome job, I will have more work for him in the future. He's coming out this Saturday morning. I'll have before and after pics in the pics & vids section, so keep an eye out for that thread.