Insight on Nelson Ledges??

Feffman

Good Day and Happy New CR:

I hope Santa was kind to everyone. He brought me several parts for the track car. Gotta love the fat guy in the red suit.

What's the common consensus on Nelson Ledges for a track event? We've never driven there, not run an event at NL, but are looking at it for 2010. Any insight is duly appreciated. Feel free to drop me an e-mail at Feffman@MVPTrackTime.com

Mark "Feff" Pfeffer - MVP Track Time

www.MVPTrackTime.com

You'll have to forgive my lack of memory Mark, but does MVP have instruction in their run groups as a standard?

I would think that would be a bigger draw for novices looking to get on the track at Nelson. It can be intimidating getting out there if you're completely on your own.

As for the experienced drivers that want solo time, as Matt mentioned, Nelson has run their Funday program in the past (and hopefully continues that) which is damn near impossible to beat as far as track time per dollar is concerned.

You'll have to forgive my lack of memory Mark, but does MVP have instruction in their run groups as a standard? ...

Yes, we bring a group of qualified SCCA, NASA, PCA, BMWCCA instructors to assist the Novice drivers.

We are looking at a weekend event at Nelson. May be a little more then their "Fun Days", but you won't have to take off work either. Track time will be from 8:00AM - 5:00PM.

Thanks for the insight all. How is the track surface at Nelson Ledges?

Feff

www.MVPTrackTime.com

The track surface will probably be the worst you have ever driven on. After a few laps you get used to it and the adjusted line you will need to run. The facilities are also on the rough and sparse side but neither of these issues prevent me from making the three hour trip up there multiple times a year.

They have started a driver instruction program up there. I have only heard from those attending but it sounds like a very decent one. The only thing it lacks is in car instruction, if you can provide that you may have something going.

Any idea what the cost would be for a day or whole weekend? Can you offer reduced rates for instructors?

Thanks for the insight all. How is the track surface at Nelson Ledges?

The surface is what you make of it. Everybody loves to rip on how bad it is, but unless you're running a VERY stiff car you should be fine, just a bit more shaken up at the end of the day.

I don't think they've announced their dates/rates yet, but the Northern Ohio BMWCCA regularly runs a weekend school at Nelson. I think that would be most comparable to what you're going to offer. Perhaps Andy (Audion19s) can chime in with what it cost in the past. I know he and Yasmin did a weekend there with them a couple years back.

I feel like nelson is a diamond in the rough. Not a lot of people know about it, the facilities are just adequate enough and the track is a little rough meaning there are lots of patches here and there. It has a lot of potential, but for now it is good enough and thats what keeps it cheap.

I have not driven or even ridden around Nelson, but I have walked the track and crewed for 2 24 hour events (not lemons) and have listened to the drivers when they discuss the track.

The track surface will probably be the worst you have ever driven on. After a few laps you get used to it and the adjusted line you will need to run. The facilities are also on the rough and sparse side but neither of these issues prevent me from making the three hour trip up there multiple times a year.

They have started a driver instruction program up there. I have only heard from those attending but it sounds like a very decent one. The only thing it lacks is in car instruction, if you can provide that you may have something going.

Any idea what the cost would be for a day or whole weekend? Can you offer reduced rates for instructors?

Wow I heard they fix it up alot. I rember dad running there when I was little and you pretty much had to mow your own patch of land to have a pit and they had a trailer and one concrete building (garage I think) and the start flagger hung over the wall.

Wow I heard they fix it up alot. I rember dad running there when I was little and you pretty much had to mow your own patch of land to have a pit and they had a trailer and one concrete building (garage I think) and the start flagger hung over the wall.

They have come a long way since then but still far from what you find at most other tracks.

They have come a long way since then but still far from what you find at most other tracks.

Sounds like Blackhawk Farms (BHF) near Beloit Wisconsin. Fell into disrepair until the new owner starting upgrading three years ago. They are doing about 1-2 buildings/infrastructure annually. Like Nelson Ledges, BHF is a little bumpy but not too bad.

Thanks for all the input.

Feff

www.MVPTrackTime.com

Edited by Feffman

Feff,

My info is a bit dated. Of course, I still have a right to an opinion!

Both Blackhawk and Nelson are similar in that they are definitely "club" tracks. Narrow, marginal facilities, etc. I have not been to Blackhawk in many years but when I was there in the mid-90's it was WAY better than Nelson from a facilities and track surface perspective.

However, from a driving perspective, Nelson is WAY better, more interesting and challenging. Looking at my old race results, it is faster than BHF also.

From a track design perspective, BHF is a killer on brakes whereas Nelson is easy on brakes. At Nelson, there is only one place where really hard braking is required.

From a "what happens if I do something stupid" perspective, both are about the same. Off course at Nelson is very bumpy and prone to rollovers at many places, whereas at BHF you simply run into trees. Different risks, but the end result is the same.

I ran SSB and IT cars at both tracks back in the day.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks everyone for the input on Nelson Ledges. Since looking into an event at Nelson, we've added Road America (October 16-17, 2010) :thumbup: to our 2010 schedule.

I think I'm going to jump in an event with PCA, BMWCCA, etc. for 2010 at Nelson to get a feel for it and decide if MVP wants to do an event there in 2011, just don't have the room on the 2010 schedule.

Hope to see you all at Putnam Park in April!

Feff

www.MVPTrackTime.com

I just looked at the RA schedule for the season recently and couldn't find an event there around October, this a sure thing you you up there Feff?? I was possibly planning on doing VIR instead but I'd rather go up there if there's an open event.