Anyone familiar with drivign in NYC?

Science Abuse

I'm plotting out a route of travel, and the shortest route takes me through here:

http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/756/mapoj.jpg

I'll be passing through around midnight, so I'm not worried about traffic. What I want to know is: How much will it cost me?

I know there are tolls all over, and IIRC there might be a tax for driving in Manhattan (the whole 1/4mi that I'll be there).

I dont remember which bridge that is, I typically used goethals when I was up there and passing into manhattan from NJ. It was around 8-9 dollars. That was 2006, I would allocated atleast 20-25 dollars for the bridges to and from

make sure you don't plan on driving on a sunday. I bought a car on ebay and had never been to nyc and first off WOW! I sat on the GW bridge for like 1hr and 1/2 which is fucking bullshit. Payed way to much in fees. I was towing a trailer and fuck mapquest just give you the route doesnt tell you that you are considered commerical with a trailer and you can't use 1/2 the freeways.

just bring at least 100 from your way there and back for fees. you should have extra money for a cheap hooker once you get there! lol

Sounds like a resounding "fuck that shit", thanks fella's!

I'm heading to North Conway NH from C'bus. There is a bit of a by-pass that will get me to Hartford with only a couple of extra miles gained: 81 to 84 starting in PA.

YES do this. I drive from Cbus to either Hartford, Boston, or Peru, VT at least 4 times a year. Fuck 90, fuck 70, 80-81-84 is the way to go. Make sure you leave nice and early in the morning, you don't want to be in Wilkes-Barre Scranton area around rush hour. Its a "safety corridor" so everyone drives like 50 mph and as of 3 days ago there was a little bit of traffic congestion...just got home from VT.

Sounds like a resounding "fuck that shit", thanks fella's!

I'm heading to North Conway NH from C'bus. There is a bit of a by-pass that will get me to Hartford with only a couple of extra miles gained: 81 to 84 starting in PA.

Alex read my mind....and drives the same way I did when heading into that part of the country. That's exactly why I asked where you were headed. Stay away from NYC unless you're going to there. It's never good to pass through on your way elsewhere.

Unless your final destination is NYC....DO NOT FUCKING DRIVE THROUGH NYC.

And if your final destination is NYC, just shoot yourself in the face, it'll be less of a headache.

Well, or southwestern CT. The GW really does suck ass. Sometimes you can manage to skate through between about 1am to 4am and it's not bad, but anything between 5am and midnight, fucking forget it. You're trying to fit twelve lanes worth of traffic into 6.

84 is definitely the way to go. You may run into some traffic on 81 around Scranton, but it's usually not too bad.

Holland Tunnel is like 12 bucks both ways I think. Im sure you can look the cost up. However, Dont fool yourself into thinking that driving ANYTIME thru NYC is a "slow"time. yes its a BIT calmer during the evening hours, but it really doesnt matter. I drive to NYC all the time to see one of my friends pretty frequently. She lives in queens, so i drive almost ALL the way thru. Just take your time and BE CALM... Ignore the asstards who honk at you for every little fucking thing, and they will. It easy to see why some people would go crazy on another individual.

I had 50+ bucks on me, in cash (get small bills, 1's and 5's). The NJ TP and the PATP are kinda pricey. I think that was enough cash from Ohio to Queens, and back.

YES do this. I drive from Cbus to either Hartford, Boston, or Peru, VT at least 4 times a year. Fuck 90, fuck 70, 80-81-84 is the way to go. Make sure you leave nice and early in the morning, you don't want to be in Wilkes-Barre Scranton area around rush hour. Its a "safety corridor" so everyone drives like 50 mph and as of 3 days ago there was a little bit of traffic congestion...just got home from VT.

I havent read much else of the thread yet, but yes I agree with this, also.

Its a beautiful drive as well, (at least in teh summer it is)

I havent read much else of the thread yet, but yes I agree with this, also.

Its a beautiful drive as well, (at least in teh summer it is)

It mostly is in winter, too, unless you go through during or just after a moderate-to-heavy snow. Then it's a bloody nightmare.

I like nightmares.

So this one time I had to drive to Philly from Marietta. When I left it was 70 degrees outside. Halfway through the trip, it was snowing and there were plow trucks everywhere. By the time I got to Philly, it was 70 degrees again. Its kinda crazy up in those mountains.

And everything about NYC is a nightmare. Seriously, unless you plan on doing touristy shit, stay out.