Chick cars - Miata vs. RX7

Mensan

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Are targa/t-tops for chicks too?

I would submit that the Cayman is a chick car. "Waaah! My hair is all messy!" Worse, men that are pussy-whipped buy them.

NOT A CHICK CAR: http://www.tunerworks.ca/products/image/products/986crw_0153.jpg

NOT A CHICK CAR: http://www.factoryfive.com/index/mainphotos/24.jpg

Eli, you may recall that my number one complaint about driving that Miata you had was that the top of the windshield frame was directly in my line of sight. I had to duck my head to see out of the windshield. That does not add to any possibility of a manly image.

As for the choices listed, I would be perfectly happy with a Boxster, although given the choice I would go for the Cayman. I simply do not like convertibles, with the exception of Wranglers (which are also very popular with the ladies).

Jones, I couldn't see your pic of the Zeintop until I opened it in a new window.

I think the primary factor is cost. If the car costs less, it's considered less of a mans car (with some exceptions). It doesn't seem to have much to do with the style of the car but rather the fact that wichever car we look at is the highest end model.

Well, the fact that 8 out of 10 times I see either women or AARP members driving other Miatas doesn't help it's image. The size is a lot of it. Small=cute to a lot of people, so no matter how much manliness you bolt on, people still look at it and say "hey, the Shriners called and they want their car back".

Eli, you may recall that my number one complaint about driving that Miata you had was that the top of the windshield frame was directly in my line of sight. I had to duck my head to see out of the windshield. That does not add to any possibility of a manly image.

Mike should have seen me drive that fn thing if you thought you where wedged in

Grassroots Motorsports recently named the Miata as one of the all time best cars (#1 actually). The racing heritage of the Miata is nothing to be laughed at. Most people that make fun of them have never even driven one anyway.

this is 100% true. sure its not the hey look at me im a manly man car but damn.. they are fun as hell to drive an almost bullet prof motor gets great gas mileage, handles like its on rails from factory. big aftermarket, a lot of forums for miata guys IMO its an amazing little AutoX or take on back country road car. i mean hell i have a 97 in the driveway and its a blast to drive.

this is 100% true. sure its not the hey look at me im a manly man car but damn.. they are fun as hell to drive an almost bullet prof motor gets great gas mileage, handles like its on rails from factory. big aftermarket, a lot of forums for miata guys IMO its an amazing little AutoX or take on back country road car. i mean hell i have a 97 in the driveway and its a blast to drive.

The problem is when people think of a man's car, they think power not handling. What's the first question out of someone's mouth when they ask you about your car? Usually it's how much power does it make, not how many G's it can pull on the track.

A lot of people just don't care about having a well rounded car. If having 700 hp and no traction makes someone happy, that's great. But I think driving the piss out of a car where you can actually push it to the limit on any backroad is more fun than just stepping on the gas and holding the wheel straight. Slow cars can be fun too :cool:.

What makes the FD RX7 more of a man's car than the Miata? Is it the lack of a droptop or is it the additional power that can be made from one (which would be a false assumption)? If there were a convertible FD available would it reduce the amount of appeal for the fans on this site or improve it?

http://images.geekazoids.net/convfda.jpg

http://images.geekazoids.net/convfdb.jpg

Is a Miata with an LS1 and a turbo making 500WHP still a chicks car from the outside?

Now think about your answer and compare the following cars: Porsche Boxster and Porsche Cayman. Which (if either) of those cars is a woman more likely to drive (in your mind) and why? They are the same car save for a fixed roof.

I believe I know what the answer is, but I would like to see what everyone else has to say.

I've been to a miata club event a few times and I'll tell yo what. They scoot around pretty fuckin well

I won't lie before I drove your boxster I kinda thought they were the sissy Porsche.

Driving it gave me a huge surprise at the overall experience, The car has a nice growl. Most people will never hear it because you don't see boxsters playing so much. It's handling was awesome. It's driver position felt aggressive but not racing seat(to aggressive).

Overall I thought it was a helluva a car to drive and after hearing how much one can be had for.

Now that being said.

Put an exhaust / intake on yours ;)

As I've said to the millions of people who have made fun of my car... beat my 100hp street tired "gay" car around an autox course, then you can call my car anything you want.

(yes AJ, I guess that means you can call my car anything you want :mad:)

also to mention that these cars have an amazing resale value. just look then up on auto trader, or ebay. the first gen's are pulling great money for what the car is. and i think its funny how the ones with less options EX(power windows,locks, mirrors, ect) sell for more. lol

*waits for someone to hate on his mr2*

This is so funny to me,I love mr2's always have but I still can not get this mental picture out of my head about the car. Back a few years ago I came home and my moms friend from work came over, at the time I had no idea if it was male or female, all I seen was a red mr2 spyder in our driveway. from just looks it had small suspension stuff done, some different wheels whatever. I walk up to the car and notice all this hello kitty stuff, like the nardi wheels with hello kitty button, hello kitty e brake cover, hello all over the inside of this car. The car was flawless clean just with stuffed hello kitty things all in the back ect. As I walk in, I already had a mental picture of some hot japanese girl ! Nope I ended up meeting prolly the most girly girl japanese man ive ever met that was super big into autocross/togue/road racing. Either way every time I see one I think of that guy.