thinking about an e46.

evan9381

anything i should look out for on these? i vaguely recall something about one of the suspension parts failing early (like 50k miles early). was that something on these years? anything else to look out for?

im really wanting to find a MT AWD model, but it looks like theyre few and far between, most being autos. i'd probably also spring for something like a 330ci.

thanks in advance

They're great cars, just be sure to buy the right one, you could easily buy someones neglected beater which will immediately need $2000 in parts.

All of the work on them is diy friendly assuming you have some level of mechanical aptitude. Bimmerforums.com has a ton of good info and articles if you're willing to wade through the fanboi bullshit.

common wear items:

- The front control arms and bushings do go soft fairly early

- complete cooling system - thermostat, water pump, expansion tank and radiator

- ccv/oil separator system

- blower motor final stage resistor

- window regulators

They're great cars, just be sure to buy the right one, you could easily buy someones neglected beater which will immediately need $2000 in parts.

All of the work on them is diy friendly assuming you have some level of mechanical aptitude. Bimmerforums.com has a ton of good info and articles if you're willing to wade through the fanboi bullshit.

common wear items:

- The front control arms and bushings do go soft fairly early

- complete cooling system - thermostat, water pump, expansion tank and radiator

- ccv/oil separator system

- blower motor final stage resistor

- window regulators

This. I absolutely loved my '02 330i.

so those who commented, how long would you think the average life is on the above mentioned parts? i found an 01 330ci with <67k miles. if none of those things have been replaced, how soon do you think it would be before i can expect to start having to fix/replace these things?

and im waiting for the seller to email me back now.

crankcase vent problems

control arm carrier bushings

cam sensors

electric t stat

oil filter housing gasket

final stage resistor

coolant reservoir

all in all, theyre great cars. They have their issues but none should stop you from buying one. Also change your oil AT LEAST every 7500mi. Dont believe the 15k lie.

At 67k, you should check the rear springs if they havent been replaced, odds are theyre broken. The carrier bushings are donezo if they havent been been replaced. Maybe some others but they should be apparent.

edit, and check the battery. replace if its original.

you should really consider going to autoassets in powell. Talk to Matt. They have one of the best bmw techs around working there. Most of their cars, especially bmw's are very well serviced before and after sale. I took my bmw's there for years and always received top notch service and products at a lower rate than the stealership.

you should really consider going to autoassets in powell. Talk to Matt. They have one of the best bmw techs around working there. Most of their cars, especially bmw's are very well serviced before and after sale. I took my bmw's there for years and always received top notch service and products at a lower rate than the stealership.

from what ive heard about them, they used to be a good shop. As far as current state, Ive seen a couple p-cars fucked up by them.

from what ive heard about them, they used to be a good shop. As far as current state, Ive seen a couple p-cars fucked up by them.

I was not happy with my experiences at AutoAssets, and have a LOT of friends with VAG cars have bad experiences there as well. From my experiences, and those of friends, they try to squeeze every last penny out of you and seem like they couldn't care less if you would be a repeat customer.

GIAC lost my business because of them.