Any VW tech's?

HotCarl

I have some small maintenance stuff i need done on my jetta and the dealership charges way too much. Apparently you need a 'special wrench' to change the transmission fluid? wtf? Either way I'd rather my money go into a members pocket than some stealership overcharging me on simple maintenance items so if anyone has experience working on vw's let me know i'll send some work your way.

Guest Removed

need more then a specail socket to change trans fluid in one...

and the one that i can think of on the forum here is vwjeff, but i think he moved.

but if your on ohiovw, you get a discount at Hatfield vw

need more then a specail socket to change trans fluid in one...

and the one that i can think of on the forum here is vwjeff, but i think he moved.

but if your on ohiovw, you get a discount at Hatfield vw

eh im not much into the "vw scene", its just a daily driver no mods or anything. Not really worth joining ohiovw if Hatfield's just going to give me some bs 10% discount and the bill's still more than if i were to just find a tech doing side work.

techs doing side work is what gets them fired. most will tell you, its not worth losing your job over a few bucks...just saying.

whoa really?! I knew plenty of Ford tech's that always did side work, even when they were AT work. I wasnt trying to get anyone in trouble obviously.

btw, thanks to whomever moved my thread, my bad.

Yeah, don't let someone change the fluid in that thing unless they know what they are doing.

VAG-COM & Correct fluid & Special fill & drain plugs.

Vehicle has to be 100% level in the air, filled, brought up to specific temp(monitored via laptop/dealer unit) run through gears ect. Did it on the S8 last year, and it was interesting.

Yeah, don't let someone change the fluid in that thing unless they know what they are doing.

Vehicle has to be 100% level in the air, filled, brought up to specific temp(monitored via laptop/dealer unit) run through gears ect. Did it on the S8 last year, and it was interesting.

are you fucking kidding me?! Sounds like alot of work just to change transmission fluid. Then again your s8 and my 4 cylinder jetta are on completely opposite sides of the vehicle spectrum here, i knew i should've just bought a damn civic.

Guest Removed
whoa really?! I knew plenty of Ford tech's that always did side work, even when they were AT work. I wasnt trying to get anyone in trouble obviously.

btw, thanks to whomever moved my thread, my bad.

will depend on the place they are working. i got yelled at all the time at kia. other techs where pissed cause i was getting more hours then them, and doing side work once i was off the clock.

Guest Removed

only reason to use the vag-com is to watch trans temps..which you can do with a temp gun on the trans pan.

and the special fill tool is just a fitting that screws in, and lets you push the fluid up through. with the right type of trans machine, you dont even need it.

only reason to use the vag-com is to watch trans temps..which you can do with a temp gun on the trans pan.

and the special fill tool is just a fitting that screws in, and lets you push the fluid up through. with the right type of trans machine, you dont even need it.

Of course, feel free to do it whatever way you want, I of course already have a VAG-COM cable/software so why not try and follow it at closely as possible. :)

For the fill tube, we just used a hand pump and copper tube hooked to fit over the flange. Worked great, but a messy job. :)

The only people I can think to recommend locally for VW/AUDI work is a local shop I've used previously:

http://www.motorkars.com/

They are usually crazy busy/booked but they do exceptional work, and for about 1/2 of what a dealer charges (hourly).

I had no idea they did all that! I've lived in grandview 80% of my life, and drove by there a milli and one times but just thought they were a little mom n pop shop that worked on all of their old slug bugs outside lol.

I'll have to stop by there sometime.

ntb downtown can do it they got a brand new snap on scanner updated through 2010 with the extra german software

give derek a call 232-8881

Really? because it was the NTB location at Sawmill that told me they COULDNT chance my trans fluid b/c it used a "special wrench".

I dunno about motorkars... I have a good 10 years of experience there as a customer, but no more. After running my cars into things (yes, cars with an S) and not fixing the damage, I'm not going back. They used to be cool, way back in the day.

Guest Removed
Should have bought a manual, either in the form of a transmission or of the Bentley Publishing variety.

Monitor fluid temp with vagcom? Seriously? That crazy.

most all the newer cars with out a dipstick have you do this (ford ,toyota, vags, and so on) once you get them up to temp on a lift, the temp normally dont move. only insures that the trans is up to temp, and properly filled.