GM synchromesh friction modified

Comebackkid

Guest Removed
doesnt royal purple make a version of it?

i think they do

Amsoil carries a compatible transmission fluid.

yes they do, and may just switch to that pending on the price(i sell all the amsoil stuff, but have not tried that stuff yet)

doesnt royal purple make a version of it?

Yes, I think it's called syncromax and is something like 13.99/quart. Penzoil also makes a version of the fluid and it's either 5.99 or 6.99/quart. Don't know enough about the actual fluids to give an educated response on which one is better and why, but the place that built my T-56 swore by the Royal Purple stuff.

BTW, if you by it as Pennzoil Syncromesh its typically a little cheaper. Its the same stuff, its made by Pennzoil or Texaco under contract for GM.

The transfer case in my VR4 required GL4 and I used that once. I then switched to BG Synchroshift and never went back.

Honda MTF. /

is your transmission grinding by any chance. reason i ask most people who run Syncromesh in there hondas is to cover up a grind (typically 2nd to 3rd). I know plenty of 400whp+ civics running Honda MTF fluid.

What he said. do NOT put that in your trans it will more than likely make it worse. Honda's do not like it. Run Honda MTF or straight 10w30 conventional oil non syn. If its grinding, Replace the syncro and gear set they are not that bad.

Guest Removed
Dont even run Honda MTF, the new shit is junk. Just use regular motor oil. Talk to Mista Bone on ohiohondas he is the transmission guru and he swears by motor oil for transmissions

the newer MTF is for the newer trans..the older ones call for motor oil anyway.

Guest Removed
Honda MTF has been around for at least 10-15 years. ran it in all my cars when i had access and no problems. yes oil is a substitute.

Bull shit..go back 15 years , every honda manual trans calls for

TYPE SG

Above 20°F (-7°C) 30

Above 0°F (-18°C) 20W-40

All temperatures 10W-30*, 10W-40* * Preferred.

i dont see any where does it say honda mtf..

mtf didnt come out till the late 90's when they started making things different internally on them, then you see this

Type Honda Manual Transmission Fluid (MTF): P/N 08798-9016 If not available you may use 10W-30 or 10W-40 motor oil as a temporary replacement. An SG grade is preferred, but an SH or SJ grade may be used if SG grade is not available. Replace with Honda MTF as soon as it is convenient. Using motor oil can cause stiffer shifting because it does not contain the proper additives.

and im willing to bet the sycromesh has some of the same additives .

but then what do i know.:rolleyes:

10 years ago would be 2000, 15 would be about 1995. you also show Temporary solution as well as i said Substitute. Theres no point inarguing about this Put oil or MTF in it or whatever. I dont fucking care i was just trying to help.

O and here is a screen shot of my Helm manual for a 98 integra. witch is also a b series transmission.

http://i993.photobucket.com/albums/af52/FreshDA9/hondamtf.jpg

Edited by Ef8sirJunkie

Guest Removed

im not arguing. im clearly pointing out facts...the first quote i put up came from a 95 civic..same thing from the 80's on up. the later of the 2 came from a 2000 civic.

notice how i put it in bold print (temporary replacement.). but since im pretty sure his car is a early 90ish car, that motor oil will be fine. and hence him wanting to run the sycromesh to help with the grinding.

and your screen shot, is from a 98..i clearly stated late 90's switch

Edited by Removed