vehicle financing for slightly older cars?

evan9381

ive PM'ed a couple people here who i've seen post about working at banks. figure an open thread might help too.

anyone know of a bank/credit union that will do loans on cars older than 5 years old? im looking for something maybe as old as a 2001 up to a 2005. the banks i have accounts with, 5/3 and chase will only show me rates for up to 5 years old, so back to 2005, but obviously i'll get something cheaper with a couple more years under it.

any banks i can check with rates that arent stupid for cars around that age? my credit wont be an issue, so right now its just about finding a place to do it.

I've personally used Telhio CU on two car loans, but my gf works at Midstate Educators CU and they have good rates too.

Back in 2004 I bought a 98 car and got 6% for 60 months. I was 18 and it was my first loan/anything. I used them to buy another car in 2006, another 98 car and I got 4.65% for 48 months. I can ask my gf current rates if you want, but I haven't had a car loan in a couple years. She has one now, granted its on a 2008 model, but she bought it used and got 4.24% for 72 months.

any more info? ie, did you go through them, and if so, how old was the car and what kind of rates/monthly term did you get?

The Jeep I had last year was a 1999 that I financed through Telhio. The payment was like $130/month for 48 months. The rate they gave me was like 5.7x%. They've approved me for a TON of loans for cars 2000 and before and I always use the rate they give me to haggle dealers.

The Jeep I had last year was a 1999 that I financed through Telhio. The payment was like $130/month for 48 months. The rate they gave me was like 5.7x%. They've approved me for a TON of loans for cars 2000 and before and I always use the rate they give me to haggle dealers.

well 1999 is definitely older than 2001, even if it was last year...and 5.7 isnt even a bad rate. the website said right now 5.6% but i didnt know if that mattered on the year

but thats not bad either in the sense that 5/3 will go up to 2005 and the rate is at 4.99%

sweet.

well 1999 is definitely older than 2001, even if it was last year...and 5.7 isnt even a bad rate. the website said right now 5.6% but i didnt know if that mattered on the year

but thats not bad either in the sense that 5/3 will go up to 2005 and the rate is at 4.99%

sweet.

Apply right now on their website; someone will call you in the morning(at least they have whenever I've applied) and tell you if you're approved and what your rate is.

i will once im ready to pull the trigger on a car im interested in. right now im looking for the exact car i want for a price that i want...that and im trying to justify having a monthly payment on a car that will be a secondary car, as i already have a DD/beater that will stay until it breaks down. its paid off and doesnt have any major issues, and only 60k miles

any more info? ie, did you go through them, and if so, how old was the car and what kind of rates/monthly term did you get?

I used Telhio when i purchased my 98 eclipse (which was 3 years ago i believe). They gave me a really good rate, better than any other credit union i shoped. I tried some banks but was flat out told by Chase that "we dont do a whole lot of auto financing so your best bet is to try a credit union", and that was MY bank. Either way, call around all of the credit union's i shoped were able to give me a figure over the phone.

EDIT: what are you looking at buying?

I used Telhio when i purchased my 98 eclipse (which was 3 years ago i believe). They gave me a really good rate, better than any other credit union i shoped. I tried some banks but was flat out told by Chase that "we dont do a whole lot of auto financing so your best bet is to try a credit union", and that was MY bank. Either way, call around all of the credit union's i shoped were able to give me a figure over the phone.

EDIT: what are you looking at buying?

e46.

just trying to decide wether i want 2 or 4 doors, rwd or AWD (4dr only on XI's), color, etc. and then find it at a price i like

something like this im thinking about...

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=u&car_id=273252044&dealer_id=78844&car_year=2002&rdm=1263365160815&lastStartYear=1981&num_records=25&model=3_SERIESCLASS_SERIES&systime=&make2=&highlightFirstMakeModel=&start_year=2000&engine=&keywordsrep=&keywordsfyc=&certified=&body_code=0&fuel=&awsp=false&search_type=both&distance=0&marketZipError=false&color3=GRAY&color2=SILVER&search_lang=en&showZipError=y&make=BMW&color=WHITE&keywords_display=&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&min_price=&drive=&default_sort=priceDESC&seller_type=b&position=top&max_mileage=100000&style_flag=1&sort_type=distance&address=43231&advanced=y&end_year=2004&transmission=Manual&doors=&max_price=11000&cardist=177&standard=false

but theres a bunch of other e46's i like that are nothing like that. lol

I got 5.35% at KEMBA credit union. I also tried Telhio and they were going to give me 5.45%. This was for a 2004 Suzuki XL-7 that was purchased about 6 months ago with 47k miles.

kemba.org if you want to look them up. I'd call their loan office and see what they can give you.

I got 5.35% at KEMBA credit union. I also tried Telhio and they were going to give me 5.45%. This was for a 2004 Suzuki XL-7 that was purchased about 6 months ago with 47k miles.

kemba.org if you want to look them up. I'd call their loan office and see what they can give you.

+1 for kemba cu

tom

Ive got my shit through Telhio and used to work there. They cut off financing I think after 90k miles, but they made an acception and let me go with a 135k mile car.

Go directly to them though, because the guidelines they give a dealer are stricter.

yeah, i went through that with my bank (5/3). dealership tried them, turned down. i went into the branch, walked out with a check