who has moved on??

88lx5oh

See the garage doors we have are not insulated. The company makes special pannels for them but are like 600 a peice which is crazy. What's a good alternative to making a garage thats well insulated? Sorry for the stupid questions but not good with home stuff.

well what im doing...

im gonna get rolls of insulation and staple it to the roof of my garage.

and for the concrete block walls im either going to .. put some fairing strips up and put the rolled insulation in between and plywood or drywall over it

or put up some of the insulation panelling.. it comes in 4x8 sheets and is 1/2 thick, and R value. i could glue it right to the block and its white, so it wont look terrible.

as for my garage door... mine is wood, so im gonna cut some of the insulation paneling and put it on the back of the door.

that should net me a pretty big increase in keeping the heat in/cold out.

ill do something about the windows, i just dont know yet

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well what im doing...

im gonna get rolls of insulation and staple it to the roof of my garage.

and for the concrete block walls im either going to .. put some fairing strips up and put the rolled insulation in between and plywood or drywall over it

or put up some of the insulation panelling.. it comes in 4x8 sheets and is 1/2 thick, and R value. i could glue it right to the block and its white, so it wont look terrible.

as for my garage door... mine is wood, so im gonna cut some of the insulation paneling and put it on the back of the door.

that should net me a pretty big increase in keeping the heat in/cold out.

ill do something about the windows, i just dont know yet

We had our house custom built and we choose what we thought a very reputable custom home builder. Welp as they was building the garage he told us not to insulate the garage , unless we heated it all the time. Welp now we are so pissed we listened to him. Ok now here is my question. How can I insulate the garage walls without pulling all the drywall out? do they have some type of spray in stuff that can be put in from a small hole in the wall? Let me know my options because I will be doing this soon.

We had our house custom built and we choose what we thought a very reputable custom home builder. Welp as they was building the garage he told us not to insulate the garage , unless we heated it all the time. Welp now we are so pissed we listened to him. Ok now here is my question. How can I insulate the garage walls without pulling all the drywall out? do they have some type of spray in stuff that can be put in from a small hole in the wall? Let me know my options because I will be doing this soon.

yeah you can have it sprayed in, i dont know the cost on that stuff though.

you can get the 32' rolls of insulation for like $15 though.

it may be cheaper to pull the drywall and put insulation up and put drywall back up. and drywall is only like $5 a sheet if you had to put all new up.

id just call around and get a quote on the spray stuff and go from there.

my garage is detached and all block, so atleast you have an attached, probably doesnt get near as cold as mine does.

Home Depot has blow-in insulation, drill a hole about an inch down from the ceiling in between each stud fill it, patch the hole move on to the next one

Guest Removed
I do agree cars are expensive but if you can do 95% of the labor yourself you can save alot. people that usally have shops do stuff pay more for the labor then the part, which is crazy. But some have to pay to play

80% of the time, the part is more then the labor. spend over 3k on a built rearend, and a few hundred in labor.

reading stimmels thread provoked a reply that got me thinking..

who is past the making cars faster thing?

the last mustang i had just pissed me off to the point where it wasnt fun anymore. now i could care less about a fast car. i still love, and enjoy cars, and talk cars all the time. But im done dumping money into cars, i get no enjoyment from it any more.

i may do a few aesthetic things to the truck like window tint or wheels... or duty things like a bedliner and hitch, but thats where it will end.

i get more fun and enjoyment from the bikes now. they are easier to maintain, less expensive to have fun with, and taking the trips on the VFR is just amazing. Best thing is the wife loves the bike too.

This sums up the past year for me pretty damn well, except i didn't switch to motorcycles, i switched to karting.

I loved building my car, I loved everything I learned, I loved having a fast car, but at the end of the day it's completely pointless. There's no way I could afford to race it on a track regularly or maintain it if I did, so I was left with a car I could take to drag days (boring to me, and def. not the ideal use for this car), or drive around on the street over shitty mostly straight roads in traffic hoping for a ten second window to floor it which might get me arrested. And once every 6 months I might find a race worth my time which could also get me arrested. There's honestly no point. Sure you might get attention and compliments (from .0001% of the population who cares) but that was never a big deal to me and the appeal wears off pretty quick. The fact that my friend nearly killed himself and his wife while banging out on an exit ramp at triple the speed limit and the fact that I got busted doing 140+ didn't help either. My car ended up sitting because there was just no point in driving it.

So I sold it and bought a kart, which is the best decision I ever made. ever. A track day costs me $15 and I can pull more g's then any street car would ever dream of. If I want a full set of race slicks its $180, total. I can pull my kart with a freakin xB (while getting 28mpg) which would never dare tow another full size car. It's all around 100 times more economical than full scale racing. There's tons of room to grow and get into faster and more serious karting. Driving on the track balls to the wall for 20 minutes straight is 1000 times more rewarding than any street driving ever was. I honestly for the life of me can't figure out why this isn't more popular.

I think the biggest reason people grow out of it is because they spent two many years stressing over it and never getting anywhere. I think most people who have issues just find out the hard way they got in over their head. I would say a good 85% of the people here dont have the money they try to put into their cars. As with anything of this nature it costs money and stuff breaks, if you dont have the money to repair it again, then you really didnt have the money to start the project in the first place. My problem is that I really have too many toys and I cant just finish one. My truck is a constant pull of income, I have over 9k in my Sea doo, my camaro has sat because it get little money thrown at a time, all my fourwheelers are expensive to maintain... and so on.

My biggest projects though really dont get neglected. I strongly feel that if most people here would have started with a cheaper platform and actually had money left over after they paid their car payment, many would feel differently. It seems too many people tried to be with the "in" crowd and many spent to much time worrying about being inside the top fastest people around that they never get anywhere.

Really? do you know if its that newspaper insulation stuff? You have any idea what the cost is?

here is the info from home depot's website

GreenFiber Insulation is an environmentally-friendly insulation consisting of 85% recycled paper fiber (mostly post-consumer with some post-industrial) specially treated for flame resistance with borates that are non-corrosive and provide for a safe home environment. GreenFiber Insulation provides outstanding resistance to heat flow for thermal applications, noise suppression for acoustical treatments and added fire resistance. Filling gaps and voids, GreenFiber Insulation provides a better barrier against air infiltration and easily installs over existing insulations. The product is blown into attics to create a monolithic blanket that will not lose R-value over time. GreenFiber Insulation provides any R-value you need for new home construction or to add over existing insulation. It is tested by certified laboratories to assure that it meets stringent performance standards and meets or exceeds national building code requirements.

it's 10$ a bag and each bag does 40sq, I did my house in Feb last year and with it being as cold as it's been my furnace hasn't kicked on nearly as much as it did last year, and cut down on a lot of noise.

I ended up getting 40 some bags, and with a minimum of 30bags you get the machine for 24hr's for free. It's a little messy and my suggestion if you do go through with it, don't use the attachment that fit's on the end of the hose takes forever, take a 3" hole saw drill your hole, shove the hose in the wall fill it and move on, take the drywall that you cut with the whole saw, fit back in the hole and throw some mud over top and your hole is patched.

I haven't had a fast car in a while like since 02, bought a bike in 07 and haven't looked back. I'm thinking I'm going to get a VFR either next year or sometime over the winter.

I won't say I won't own a fast car again but I doubt I'd mod it much as they are pretty decent from the factory these days.