adding to a driveway....

SRTurbo04

ok so im looking to put in a third parking spot at my house just right next to the blacktop in our drive way or even pushing our fence back a ways an having the spot next to the garage… im not looking to cut up the curb or anything .but does anyone know if this would be to be approved by the city at all? itll be a gravel drive for a temporary time if not just get a paved anyone have any experice with doing this… any rules or permits I need done before I can do this? the only pic I have on hand is this one an it'll be on the other side of the car so in the grass area an go intwords the backyard…

http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll162/04srturbo/CIMG1950.jpg

ugh goodlord i need to seal the driveway

I don't believe you need a permit my neighbors built a complete addition to the side of there house for an extra garage, as long as you aren't tearing up city owned things (i.e. the sidewalk) you should be ok. Call a paving company they should be able to tell you the details

Why don't you use that money to move out of your parents' house instead?

Not Brian = Dickhead.

yea seeing as he has no idea what hes talking about as to why i live there.. :rolleyes:

hmm i would think the property line woudl be my fence wouldnt it? i wouldnt be going pass the fence at all i was actually going to leave the fence up right there an just take teh gate off so i can store my jet ski back there. hmm

I'd just check the property line and maybe give the neighbors a heads up so they don't complain. I’ve heard that now you’re required to get a permit for any type of construction on your property like a deck, shed, garage, expansion, etc… If there is a permit you need I'd say fuck it and just do it anyway. It's better to ask for forgiveness then permission in some cases. ;)

if you're doing it to store a jetski, why not pour it and call it a "patio"...i know when i was in gahanna, i couldnt put my boat out back on grass, so it had to sit in the driveway, which my parents werent thrilled with.

Not Brian = Dickhead.

yes, but i seriously LOL'd. regardless of the reason why he lives there.

hmm i would think the property line woudl be my fence wouldnt it? i wouldnt be going pass the fence at all i was actually going to leave the fence up right there an just take teh gate off so i can store my jet ski back there. hmm

I think your best option then would be to make the gate a double door gate so that you can close it and lock it. Then you could throw gravel back there and no one would be the wiser.

I'd just check the property line and maybe give the neighbors a heads up so they don't complain. I’ve heard that now you’re required to get a permit for any type of construction on your property like a deck, shed, garage, expansion, etc… If there is a permit you need I'd say fuck it and just do it anyway. It's better to ask for forgiveness then permission in some cases. ;)

you dont need a permit for a patio...i just had a 16x20 with a 10' circle for a fire pit off one corner poured this summer, no permits needed.

but something else i just remembered...do check because even though your property goes up to X point, when we were looking to build a permanent shed at my parents, the city told us we had to build so far in from the property line...it couldnt be right on that line.

I’ve heard that now you’re required to get a permit for any type of construction on your property like a deck, shed, garage, expansion, etc…

I had a company build a breakfast nook off my kitchen last summer and I didn't need a permit. The city wants you to get a permit so that they can get more money from you. All they do is send someone out to check each step to make sure it's right. I watched it myself during the build process. It looked fine to me and it turned out great.

I am putting in a 3 car driveway at my house in the spring. If you are replacing any concrete in between the sidewalk and the house, you are good, from sidewalk to street ie... the approach, you will need a permit. Also each city, municipality ect.... has its own sets of codes and rules.

if you're doing it to store a jetski, why not pour it and call it a "patio"...i know when i was in gahanna, i couldnt put my boat out back on grass, so it had to sit in the driveway, which my parents werent thrilled with.

yes, but i seriously LOL'd. regardless of the reason why he lives there.

its not for a jet ski its for the excessive amount of cars that we have at our house.. lol

I think your best option then would be to make the gate a double door gate so that you can close it and lock it. Then you could throw gravel back there and no one would be the wiser.

too much work to open an close open close this is mainly for my cars. we have too mant cars at the molment an there are so many people that speed down our quiet street that im afraid one of these days our cars will get hit by one an they woudl take off.

hmm i wonder how much it woudl cost to throw down some concrete to have that third spot hmm might need to get ahold of mr sam

It is not better to ask for forgiveness in Reynoldsburg, they will not budge. If you are not fines, you will certainly have to tear out whatever was not prior approved and start over.

its not for a jet ski its for the excessive amount of cars that we have at our house.. lol

wat?

too much work to open an close open close this is mainly for my cars. we have too mant cars at the molment an there are so many people that speed down our quiet street that im afraid one of these days our cars will get hit by one an they woudl take off.

hmm i wonder how much it woudl cost to throw down some concrete to have that third spot hmm might need to get ahold of mr sam

pm sent

Youll probably need one. I deal with them alot, submitting for things....Just have to call the local building dept and ask. If you get caught w/o one if you needed it, it can cost something like 3X the permit fees + any fines they want to give you.... they can be pretty money-hungry

I already asked the city about this as I was thinking the same thing. To get the permit, it has to be a permanent spot (concrete or blacktop, no gravel) and the end side of the extra space has to be at least 8' away from your neighbor's property line.

You're hosed it looks like. I can add a 6' wide space next to my driveway and just make the 8" minimum distance.

You're hosed it looks like. I can add a 6' wide space next to my driveway and just make the 8" minimum distance.

Could be but sometimes prop lines are in the oddest places lol.

If your in Franklin Co. your more than welcome to PM me your addy and ill see exactly how far it is to the prop line... have it all in CAD

I'm wondering the cost on doing something like this. I'd love to widen part of our driveway, and even pave it next to the garage, but I'm sure that much concrete will be pricey.

i told him in a PM, for stamped concrete (which is going to be more than just a regular driveway type finish), i paid $8 sq/ft, which was the cheapest i found...the only thing is, even with the regular finish being cheaper, if you're going to put cars on it, you'll have to reinforce it with rebar. we didnt opt for that since its only a patio out back that gets minimal foot traffic, so not much of a load...

if you want the guys number i went with, let me know. he advertises all over craigslist, and im sure you can find pics of his work...maybe not this time of year, but i could be wrong. i haven't checked in a while