Car Stopper

zeitgeist57

Call me crazy, but it's devices like this that make me glad to drive something that doesn't require a computer to start, run, and drive. More electronic functions are convenient and efficient, but the police/government monitoring and control over your vehicle is a little upsetting to me.

It's not that I have something to hide (and in the hands of law enforcement it will do far more good than bad), but imagine technology like this becoming mainstream and readily available on the internet. Crooks could camp out on the side of rural highways and kill cars at will, rendering the occupants easy prey.

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/01/28/video-car-stopper-coming-to-a-cop-near-you/

Discuss.

take notice of the front tire stretch on that ferrari, fuckers.

don't get you hopes up. its just the way the lights are reflecting on the tire

same car and Detroit auto show.

http://i975.photobucket.com/albums/ae236/detroit2010/DSCN3490.jpg

thanks for playing thou. :)

Call me crazy, but it's devices like this that make me glad to drive something that doesn't require a computer to start, run, and drive. More electronic functions are convenient and efficient, but the police/government monitoring and control over your vehicle is a little upsetting to me.

It's not that I have something to hide (and in the hands of law enforcement it will do far more good than bad), but imagine technology like this becoming mainstream and readily available on the internet. Crooks could camp out on the side of rural highways and kill cars at will, rendering the occupants easy prey.

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/01/28/video-car-stopper-coming-to-a-cop-near-you/

Discuss.

I'm sure someone will reverse engineer it to block it.

Guest Removed
"HPEMS can stop a Toyota without much of a fuss"

Bullshit, not even Toyota can stop Toyotas

plus rep on that

but its nice ...but what about other types of cars?

and what damage can it cause to the ecu? ecu's dont like stuff like that

plus rep on that

but its nice ...but what about other types of cars?

and what damage can it cause to the ecu? ecu's dont like stuff like that

It can stop any car with an ECU by destroying the ECU. It works by blasting microwaves at the car. When you put metal or other conductive material in the way of these radio waves, it generates a small electrical current. Not enough to really notice usually. But the fine, nanoscopic connections inside the microchips in the ECU are delicate enough that this charge will fry them. Poof, no ECU, no ignition.

At the same time your stereo, digital watch, cell phone, ipod, any anything else you have in the car with a chip in it will also cease to function ever again.

That's a serious lawsuit just WAITING to happen. I know if I Cop shot my car by accident/mistake trying to take down some perp and fried all of my electronics, the City will be painted red, with blood.

that or they would be repairing/replacing your car

that or they would be repairing/replacing your car

Nope. Hot pursuit collateral. You wouldn't be able to touch the cop or his department, probably. More than likely all you could do is TRY to sue the state for authorizing the use of the device. Good luck there, and welcome to the fucking Nanny State.

Nope. Hot pursuit collateral. You wouldn't be able to touch the cop or his department, probably. More than likely all you could do is TRY to sue the state for authorizing the use of the device. Good luck there, and welcome to the fucking Nanny State.

just thought of another issue what if a cop used it and missed or used in on the wrong car when someone that had a pace marker and died as a result. Would the cop be liable for the death?

An electric shock is not the same as an EMF pulse. Uncle Sam spent lots of money teaching me how to counteract EMF. A simple faraday cage surrounding the electronics in question would probably be sufficient. I doubt if this thing is as sophisticated as the stuff the military uses.

An electric shock is not the same as an EMF pulse. Uncle Sam spent lots of money teaching me how to counteract EMF. A simple faraday cage surrounding the electronics in question would probably be sufficient. I doubt if this thing is as sophisticated as the stuff the military uses.

You'd have to cage the whole CAR, or at the very least, the entire front end. The computer connects to wiring that travels throughout the car, and their entire length outside of the cage would still generate current when hit with an EMF/EMP.